WHAT'S THAT SOUND? Complete Albums Collection - Buffalo Springfield

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bonddm, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, just Uno Mundo on the Stills box (Stills box, Stills song).

No released mono mixes, just stereo.

2. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Great, I'm downloading it now.

3. Trainspotting

Hmm, apparently the main difference is that the horns are brought way up in the mix.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There’s also a guitar part mixed up in sections that’s mixed down on the LP mix.

Merry-Go-Round has some circus-y percussion in the breaks.

Both are a bit harder edged than the LP mixes IMO.

5. Trainspotting

Well, I'm definitely in for the new Complete Albums box - if nothing else for a nice-sounding mono mix of the second album. I have a vinyl-to-CDR disc now, but this will be better. There really aren't too many true mono albums I need now on CD. '60s Elvis would be nice...

6. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The previous box is fine. It has a lot of neat stuff but generally not as essential as the original albums. I heard the stereo mix of Baby Don't Scold Me. I guess it's neat but not a deal-breaker for me.
    The mono Again is wonderful IMO.
    The long Bluebird is not to my taste at all and I understand why Stills doesn't like it.
    I think this box sounds like a great collection, especially for someone who doesn't have any Springfield.
    Edit: I agree the Mr. Soul 45 would have been a nice addition.

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Odd that this set is on Amazon UK and Canada, but not yet listed in the USA.

8. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

9. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Those are somewhat less essential, because they're mimed rather than truly live performances; but there are mix differences. I'd like to see a comprehensive release of Springfield footage (including Monterey) - it should fit on one DVD and definitely on one Blu-ray.
    One of the music blogs - I forget which - that announced the upcoming box claimed that the first version of the first LP was never released in stereo. If true, that explains the omission of "...Scold...," but IS it true? There's a stereo mix on YouTube that's clearly a needledrop, but sounds much too good to be a bootlegged acetate.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not true at all. Both versions were released in mono and stereo.

SD 33-200:

Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Not true, I owned one, before selling it : Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield

13. SJB

Thanks, that's what I thought. I wonder if the writer simply assumed that the first version didn't come out in stereo. Worse, maybe Neil forgot about that version? (Such things happen; I read an interview with George Martin somewhere in which he was clearly misremembering the timing of the Please Please Me stereo mix.)

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

There are a lot of unqualified morons out there, always ready to pontificate on things that happened long before they were even conceived. BS is their main characteristic in life, and they pray no one ever finds out.

15. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I think originally it was because he was the only one of the five at the turn of the century to have money to sink into projects and Ahmet was only co-oping some things from the sideways position he was in during his last 20 years. Neil probably landed ownership of the masters if not the multis (no, I don't think he owns the multis.... he probably tries to get them occasionally over the years but alas), or at least copies of the masters around the deal with his bankrolling (primary bankrolling imo) of the box set, which also left him in control of leaving stuff off the box set.

Steve didn't care about being involved. It's obvious where Dewey fit, Rich didn't wield monetary control, even with his third of Springalo... and Bruce wasn't exactly Mr. Shark.

And now, here we are. Dunno what Neil has left of his empire, but he probably holds tapes and whatever contracts he's wrangled into ownership of as being much more valuable than land.

Its funny. From where I sat in 67, I always thought Steve would've been the guy controlling all this. And doing it very well. Things turned out so strange and backwards.

fr in sc, SKATTERBRANE and GMDuss like this.
  16. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

And it's not at all hard to get, but the (wonderful) version of 'Down to the Wire' from Decade wasn't included on the old box set, if I recall correctly, so if you're gathering together the band's odds and sods, you'll need to factor that one in too.

fr in sc likes this.
  17. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I've got a stereo copy of the first version of the debut album (with 'Baby Don't Scold Me'), which reminds me I have to do a needle drop one of these days!

18. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Great to finally get hold of BS Again in mono and I need a better version of LTA than the one I picked up in 1992. So, I will be getting this. A bonus disc with the rarities mentioned would have been a nice touch but maybe they will appear elsewhere at some point..

19. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

From a non Buffalo Springfield expert: what is the USP of this new box set?

20. SJB

I don't think that's the "BS catalog" lukpac was talking about....:unhunh:

SteelyNJ, SKATTERBRANE and lukpac like this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The bonus material arguably varies somewhat, but I'd say stuff like Down Down Down, We'll See, Whatever Happened To Saturday Night, and What A Day is as good as the material on the 3 albums.

fr in sc and swedgin like this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

He did NOT say that this is the only time this stuff has sounded the best it can be. It might not sound any better.

23. JimmieP

JimmieP Forum Resident

Other than remastering (I guess), I believe the USP is the mono mix of Buffalo Springfield Again on official CD for the first time

bobcat likes this.
  24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I don't disagree - I guess part of my argument is based on:
    a) I have generally found that unreleased tracks were unreleased for a reason i.e. they weren't good enough although there are exceptions as you have pointed out. It's just my bias.
    b) a corollary of a) I like albums as they were originally envisioned or released (which I know is not always the same thing). Again just my bias.
    As you stated in an earlier post, the current CD releases sound fine but I feel that the addition of the mono mix of the second album makes it ideal for an introduction and collection of the band.
    I have them of course including the mono/stereo of the first album and a very clean very vinyl of Again but I am still considering getting this for a digital copy of the mono second album.

texron likes this.
  25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I certainly welcome the mono mix of Again. But as with the 2001 box set and (to a lesser extent) the mono/stereo twofer of s/t, it's a letdown for close it comes to being somewhat definitive. Perhaps in another 17 years we'll get another box set with a few more things, but more missing.

fr in sc and AlmanacZinger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.