What's the best vinyl version of Hotel California?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Manassas.

2. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

huh?

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Sorry. Just a sarcastic joke after a couple of beers.

4. rockitman

rockitman Forum Resident

The DVD - A sounds great for digital. It is not vinyl however. :sigh:

Getting back to the question you asked earlier, I only have the current in print (I assume Kevin Gray mastered) which I think sounds very good and the MoFi which I like even better. I have not heard the DCC version. Time to search ebay for a copy...

5. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Definitely the DCC INHO.

I was stunned at how great it sounded the first time I played it -- and how much better it sounded than my original U.S. pressing! :agree:

6. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I just checked, and my trusty dollar bin copy that has served me for over a decade is a 7E STERLING.

I would also like to know the difference between the more recent Kevin Gray pressing and the DCC. My Kevin Gray copy has what looks like "KPG@ATM" in the deadwax, etchings like "Steve Hoffman", "SH" or "DCC", are not there.

Soundwise I go back in forth between the two copies. The US has more compression and top end boost to my ears, but also features the sound that I'm so familiar with. The KG pressing is smoother and more "hifi", being more dynamic and possessing more bass and my system. Glad to have both.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  7. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Sorry. My mistake. No Sterling RL exists (just in my head).

8. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

My copy has "V.O.L. Is a five piece live" was this common on certain pressings or every pressing?

Sent from my IDEOS S7 Slim using Tapatalk

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The DCC vinyl best, West German from US stampers next best (LH Sterling Sound mastered) or US made better pressings with same deadwax next best.

DirkGentlyUK and wwright like this.
  10. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I'm assuming that there are double LH copies adjacent to the STERLING stamp. If someone could confirm that would be swell. Don't love this LP enough to buy a DCC copy.

11. mark7

mark7 Guest

I'm having a hard time finding the original 7E US pressing in good condition at a reasonable price, so I'm considering getting either the original UK pressing or the original German pressing.

Which of these sounds better, the UK version or German? And how do they compare to the US version (i.e. are they lacking anything the US has or have something the US doesn't?)

Thanks for help.

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

My DCC vinyl has:

Side 1: LPZ-2043-A-1S KG/SH

Side 2: LPZ-2043-B-1S KPG/SH FUTURE DISC

The DCC is outstanding, in my opinion better than my original Sterling. The DCC sounds more open with clearer mids.

13. walkabout

walkabout Forum Resident

14. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

They are old questions, maybe already fixed...but FWIW, here the dead wax from my original 7E US copy:

7E 1084 A RE SP 1-1 "IS IT 6 O'CLOCK YET?" STERLING LH (side 1);
    7E 1084 B - 1 RE SP 1-2 "V.O.L. IS FIVE PIECE LIVE" STERLING LH (side 2).

The word STERLING is machine stamped while the others text is hand etched.
    Both side have a symbol like a big horizontal letter "S" with two letters inside (R and C...not sure about C, difficult to see...).

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Note that there's a promo label first issue of this album. Hard to find minty these days (hard to find in any condition, really).

16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

17. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Not sure why exactly, but Hotel California is one of the rarer MoFi LPs, which is probably who so few have done comparisons that include it. When I did one years ago after finally getting a mint copy (MFSL vs DCC vs my original from 1976), I concluded that I liked it better than the others, and it's been my go-to copy ever since. Nothing scientific about the comparison, and I'll be the first to admit the price I paid could have played some unconscious role.

wwright likes this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Best would be the DCC, second would be a West German original using USA RL stampers, next would be a better US original pressing (The CSM (Columbia Santa Maria) would be one of the best.

19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i ended up selling the dvd-a

i had the whole catalog on vinyl and i felt wierd putting on the dvd just for the HC album. so i have the kevin gray rhino as the go to copy....but like i said there is probably something better out there.

20. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

SRC = Specialty Records Corp., Olyphant, Pennsylvania (a notable record pressing plant)

Based on the deadwax, I would expect the copy you have to sound great.

gekados and Giorgio like this.
  21. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Thanks Tom for this info. Now I know the meaning of that symbol with the confirmation about the letter C!

Yes, it plays very great to me but I have not another available copy for a comparison...
    In confidence, I have another 7E US copy that is sealed...but I think it will remain so :agree:

TLMusic likes this.
  22. walkabout

walkabout Forum Resident

23. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Interesting that a lot of people have chosen the DCC pressing. I remember buying this back in the mid 90s (I think?) and one of my friends who has audiophile golden ears (allegedly) completely 'dissed it' preferring an original UK copy. Come to think of it, he also disliked Steve's 'remaster of 'Blue' which I think is the best version I have ever heard of Joni's album. I need to revisit 'Hotel' which I have not played in a very long time. I also have a Japanese first issue.

24. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

I just replayed the DCC version last night in order to hear it with my new Audible Illusions M3B preamp in the chain. My original complaint of this version being a tad to "soft" in the upper frequencies has now vanished. NOW I can hear what Steve was going for with his re-mastering. There is clarity with a naturalness to the voices that my system prior to the upgraded preamp could not resolve. Unlike some of the tipped up Mofi's that sounded good on lesser equipment, the more you upgrade your playback chain, the more you will hear into what top mastering individuals like Steve had in mind when making their mastering choices.

Munger74 likes this.
  25. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have an original US 7E Asylum, about a year ago I picked a Mobile Fidelity Hotel California for €5 absolutely mint! I read somewhere that this was one of the better sounding MoFi's from the 1970s and a Back to Black version. I must do a comparison with the 3 when I get the chance.

JG