What's the best vinyl version of Hotel California?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

James, you seem to know where to get all the best records!

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Not really! It's just the hard slog of constantly, repeatedly going to the record stores one or twice a week. Sometimes I baulk at the prices being asked for LPs and other times I am amazed what jumps out at me for practically nothing!

I picked up a lovely original copy of Manassas double LP for €12 at a really small stall in a mainly clothes/jewellery market about two weeks.

JG

3. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Yeah, I know how it is. Cork is a disaster for used vinyl but one of the stores in a shopping mall here is now carrying new vinyl at very competitive prices. I bought a few lately including the Nick Drake 'Bryter Later' Back to Black reissue. I like to support local endeavour when I can, but most of the time I have to look further afield, in Germany and Japan mostly. A contact I have in Tokyo, Japan tells me that record shopping there is not what it once was. Still, I am often amazed at what turns up as old new stock but the prices can be a problem at times, of course. Dublin sounds as if it is still pretty decent though?

Back to topic, I cleaned and played my DCC 'Hotel California' last night and it sounded really fine. I hadn't played it in ages as I am not a huge Eagles fan (they were played to death on the radio back in the day) but I think probably for the first time I appreciated this album! I can see why many people here like the DCC so much. I expect the original U.S. is fine too, though. I had a U.S. copy years ago bit it was defective so I tossed it.

4. James Glennon

Have you heard the Back to Vinyl version (Kevin/Steve)? As far as the Eagles are concerned, my favourite is their first Lp followed by their second, even though I bought the rest I lost interest in them. That first LP on white Asylum label really rocks, great sound.

JG

5. James Glennon

PS: I got the Mofi Hotel California for €2.99 can you believe it!2

JG

Terry likes this.
  6. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

That was a sweet deal!! I liked the Eagles up to 'On the Border'. When Bernie Leadon left, I lost interest. They became commercial at that point and less 'country' so I signed off. They're a talented bunch of musicians and songwriters undoubtedly but they just don't do it for me in a major kind of way. Like you, I have all of their albums as well notwithstanding what I just wrote!

Having said that (I sound like Larry David), I played 'On the Border' tonight (an original Japan press and an early 1980s German reissue) and 'Desperado' (Japan press) and they're fine albums. I haven't heard the Back to Black 'Hotel California'.

7. peter

peter Senior Member

Correct. You will be pleasantly surprised by how good and orig. STERLING of this is.

8. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

I have an original 6E -103 I'm very please with. Here is the info
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A - Etched): "IS IT 6'O'CLOCK YET?"
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A - Etched): 6E 103A 23 SP 1-1
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B - Etched): "VOL. IS FIVE PIECE LIVE"
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B - Etched): 6E 103B 23 SP 1-1
    • Matrix / Runout (Sides A/B - Stamped): STERLING
    • Matrix / Runout (Sides A/B - Stamped): SRC logo
    I'm not sure if there is any difference between the 6E and the 7E This one sounds great!

9. Can we assume that Hulko did the STERLING ones without his initials? Can we also assume that the LH one was done earlier?

10. radam40

radam40 Forum Resident

For me the Kevin Gray cut sounds really great. I like it more than the DCC. I'm curious how the new Grundmann vinyl cut sounds compared to the DCC and Kevin's Back to vinyl? From a vinyl Rip of the Grundmann cut, I recently heard, I think this reissue could beat both of them. But further comparisons are necessary.

Strat-Mangler and AtlTrav like this.
  11. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Avoid Monarchs? You got to be kidding me! I don't know if they pressed any of this title, but I have many Monarch pressed records and they are among the best sounding in my collection. I love Columbia Santa Maria pressings as well, but only for their own catalog(CBS).

12. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yup. Unfortunately, it IS a rare pressing, but it is far superior to a standard original. I haven't heard the DCC, but you're not the only one I know to prefer the MoFi. Occasionally an earlier period album from that label will hit the nail on the head. HC is one. The Tony Bennett/Bill Evans Album is another one.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I have since added a DCC to my collection. Which of the 3 is best ? I'll have to see...

15. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I have the original pressing, the DVD-A, the Kevin Gray version, have heard the MFSL many times, and have the DCC SH version. For me, Steve Hoffman's version is the definitive cut to my ears in any format. The others have their own merits, but Steve's is right on the money in every way possible. The absolute total package.

john lennonist likes this.
  16. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I have a 6E-103 SP (Southern Plastics) version on the way. Seller claims it's near mint, however being burned too many times, I'm always skeptical of any vinyl that is not sealed.

From what I understand, the 7E-1084 version was first, from DEC 1976 to mid 1977. After that, the code changed to 6E-103. Therefore, only a 7E-1084 version would be considered an early pressing, am I correct?

17. Frederick Clanahan

Frederick Clanahan Active Member

I have the copy with CSM on the label. Unfortunately it's a tad dirty. Can't wait to clean it on my VPI MW-1 Cyclone

18. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Correct.

Giorgio and mkelley1961 like this.
  19. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Perfect example showing that record reviews are system dependent

john lennonist and hi_watt like this.
  20. Michael Sutter

Michael Sutter Forum Resident

The DCC and newer Asylum/Rhino 180g pressings are both fantastic. Original US is very good as well. In general this album was well-produced and you'll have a hard time finding a truly bad issue of it.

grx8 likes this.
  21. mikealumni

mikealumni Active Member

I recently picked up the Grundman cut on Elektra/Rhino (RRM1-1084) and I'm very happy with it. The actual pressing quality leaves a bit to be desired, though, with a light hairline scratch through the end of 'Wasted Time'

I can live with that because the actual mastering is top, TOP notch compared to some of the others I've heard. I'd be interested to hear others opinions on this reissue...

22. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

This is probably one LP that sounds pretty good regardless of the pressing. I have the 2014 Europe reissue and it sounds as good as the original I picked up awhile back. I had a hard time finding a decent OP of this, they all seemed to be warped. Tossed my slightly warped OP out for a nice new flat version, which sounds just as good, if not better.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  23. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

Picked up a 7E with a "Is it 6'oclock yet" in the dead wax/Sterling for $1. Very cool sounding album.

mike catucci, Giorgio and c-eling like this.
  24. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

I prefer the original sterling pressing done by lee hulko...it is outstanding imho.

25. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Has anyone heard, or have an opinion on the 180g Bernie Grundman mastering?Edit: seems it was made in Europe and released in 2014. Having a hard time finding any opinions on the sound. I haven't spun it yet, but am soon.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017