What's the hardest you've ever laughed at a movie theater?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BroJB, May 14, 2020.

1. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me. Thread Starter

I can think of two times that I've laughed hard enough at a theater to have to gasp for breath..

They are:

The scene in Spinal Tap where Nigel Tufnel can't figure out how to make a sandwich with miniature bread.

And the Terrance & Philip musical number "Shut your **** face, uncle ****" in South Park.

Yours?

TongueDruid, jeffd7030, boggs and 3 others like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Like you, the very first time I saw Spinal Tap counts as one of the funniest things I've ever experienced. I saw it as a sneak preview, sponsored by the local rock station KY-102. The station had given tickets to their listeners, and as far as I could tell most of them thought they were seeing a documentary about a vaguely familiar rock band, and I seemed to be the only person there who knew that it was a comedy. Which made it ten times funnier. So much so that when they were discussing the fate of the various drummers, I had to leave the auditorium and go into the lobby to be able to resume breathing. I swear, I literally fell from my seat into the aisle.

I have at least a dozen other experiences but something about laughing that hard makes it difficult to form a memory of what exactly I was laughing at - my brain is too busy being amused to actually do its job of remembering.

3. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

There's Something About Mary.
    I can't remember all of the gut laugh moments, but I recall never having laughed so hard at a film, and so often. So many gags in that movie! I saw it with a friend or two the first time around then convinced a group of probably 10 I worked with to go see it with me again. We all had a ball!

damien, CantonJester, GillyT and 16 others like this.
  4. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Maybe Hot Fuzz!

Deja Doh likes this.
  5. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

I can't remember if it's my hardest laugh, but the biggest laugh from the whole theatre I've heard was probably Mr. Creosote.

(edited to remove the spoiler)

6. BroJB

Yeah, I remember some huge laughs the first time I saw that.

a customer likes this.
  7. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I was 13 and visiting London when Monty Python And The Holy Grail came out. By the end of the opening credits I had tears streaming down my face, and it kept up for the rest of the film. Absolute catharsis. I'll never laugh as hard at a movie again, because I'll never be 13 again.

8. BroJB

That's a laugh that comes in large part from shock. You can't believe what you're seeing and that makes it even better.

The nude wrestling scene in Borat got me in the same way.

Deja Doh and kouzie like this.
  9. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Yep. The franks and beans, the piggyback rides, the "special my ass."

jeffd7030, AndrewS and Dr. Bogenbroom like this.
  10. BroJB

Hair gel.

11. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Oh man, I just had a decent laugh...had forgotten about the piggyback rides. We got a bleeder! The crying at the end. The pizza delivery guy. Matt Dillon's teeth. Jonathan Richmond. And on and on. I should watch that again sometime soon.

jeffd7030, kouzie and Steve Litos like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Borat, and then also Pineapple Express - free ticket date nite with my wife on that one.

And just remembered - What We Do In The Shadows!

EVOLVIST, mackeyse, boggs and 3 others like this.
  13. John54

John54 Senior Member

The train scene near the end of the Marx Brothers' Go West.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

South Park movie
    There's Something About Mary
    Anchorman

Those 3 brought me to tears the first time I saw them. The whole 400-people theater was laughing so hard that if a joke wasn't visual, you'd miss it from all the laughter covering up the sound.

jeffd7030 and Rushfan like this.
  15. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

probably ... there's something about mary.

i have a 'special needs' brother .... so that added a totally unexpected element to my belly laughs ... i found it hilariously therapeutic LMAO

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Great thread idea in these times!! About a tie for me...Vacation when I was a teen...my stomach was killing me! And then later in life, Dumb and Dumber. I just couldn’t believe how ridiculous that movie was, In the best way, and that someone could think of all that!

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I am going to have to watch Something About Mary. I know I saw at least part of it and couldn’t make it through. But I always hear how hysterical it is, and the humor is up my alley, so I don’t know how I missed it.

18. BroJB

The Farelly brothers are very hit or miss. But Something About Mary and Dumb and Dumber extremely funny movies.

jeffd7030, Steve Litos and hi_watt like this.
  19. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I went to see it after all the hype... while the rest of the audience were literally rolling in the aisles with laughter, I sat there stony-faced, laughing not once... a thoroughly disgusting, unpleasant, and distasteful movie that opened the doors wide to the current vulgarity that passes for wit these days in Hollyweird, alas...

Where's Groucho (and the great Margaret Dumont) when you need them...?

20. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

South Park movie also: "Why don't you lick my **** Mr. Garrison?"

21. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Resuscitating the dog with the lamp cord... :biglaugh:

22. Trainwreck isn’t a very good movie overall, but the sex scene where John Cena attempts to talk dirty nearly killed me.

vegafleet and BroJB like this.
  23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, that one had me gasping for air. The whole film was insanely funny.

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"Three Amigos!" - in 10th grade 1986

.......second place goes to "Strange Brew" - in 7th grade 1983