What’s the lamest reason you have replaced a piece of audio hardware?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by theMot, Apr 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMot

theMot Forum Resident Thread Starter

Im looking at changing my amp which I don’t mind (Cambridge audio sr20) because I don’t like the remote, it’s a bit light and flimsy feeling.

You?

Note to forum mods: I totally don’t mind if you rename this thread “The firstest of first world problems”

hi_watt, bever70, Tim 2 and 1 other person like this.
  2. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I traded in a tube amp because my stereo is right under the TV and the glow was distracting.

3. Mindhead1

Mindhead1 Forum Resident

Just because...

4. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

Back in the days when I was an audiofool I replaced too many things because of the upgrade bug.

5. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Spotting what looked to be telltale signs that something packaged and presented as new was likely used

6. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

"Well, it seemed like a really good idea at the time..." :shake: :confused:

Is this a good time to mention the complete system(s) overhaul currently underway? Nope, didn't think so. :doh:

Mindhead1 and timind like this.
  7. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I had a friend who changed his blonde haired girlfriend and then decided that the new one with jet black hair clashed with the light oak wood on his amp & speakers so he "retired" the amp & speakers to his attic and bought new kit that had wood painted black ...he is very odd/ocd and everything has to match ... shortly after he even changed his car ...by then he had decided she was a keeper i guess ....so that rather than brown leather seats he got one with black leather seats ....again her hair & complexion was the motivation ...

All that does seem rather extreme but 25years later they are still together and the she still has jet black hair .. i'm thinking that by now she must dye her hair to keep it that colour ...he's an odd bod but super clever and great company .....they have a very good marriage so it all worked out well in the end.

WvL, Daedalus, DigMyGroove and 3 others like this.
  8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

But, but, just...BECAUSE!

TEA FOR ONE, luckybaer and Mindhead1 like this.
  9. timind

timind phorum rezident

It was Thursday.

10. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

When I was 16 I got my first stereo. My first Realistic receiver came with speakers which I knew I would quickly upgrade when I could afford the speakers I really wanted. The first speakers that came with the receiver were ported speakers with about a 4 1/2" single driver and sounded about as bad as you could expect-no bass, no treble, all midrange. They weren't much bigger than today's computer speakers. I had some Realistic acoustic suspension speakers in mind, but I got this package to hold me til the end of the summer when I could afford the speakers I really wanted. They were about the size of Smaller Advents. I shouldn't have wasted the money on this first receiver and speakers.

When I upgraded the speakers this first receiver could barely drive these new inefficient 6 ohm impedance acoustic suspension speakers. I didn't replace the receiver due to the poor quality of sound. What drove me totally crazy was the way when I turned it up, the front panel lights dimmed due to the inadequate power supply. They blinked to the beat. Deep bass-blink. Loud deep bass they almost went out. Somehow the bad sound bothered me less than the blinking. The blinking front panel lights were like a visible reminder I had been stupid and totally wasted my money. So before I knew it-first system gone. But lesson learned.

11. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Sold off my Schiit Gungnir MB DAC and PS Audio Gain Cell DAC Preamp (used only as a preamp) because I felt it was all too big. Replaced both items with a Benchmark DAC3 HGC. Nice, small, compact!

12. JMT

JMT Senior Member

Aesthetics

13. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Because the reviewer said it was good (but it was not!!!) :laugh:

theMot likes this.
  14. Mindhead1

Mindhead1 Forum Resident

Just finished mine. New amp and mew speakers. Love it. Want trumped need for sure.

RockAddict likes this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

because it was "pre owned".

16. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I’m trying really hard but the only thing I’ve ever replaced equipment is simply that it failed to perform up to my expectations. That’s the only valid reason I can come up with.

Ultimately when I’m buying something I’m asking it to “prove it” as far as performance goes as that’s what ultimately counts in the end.

17. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

You guys actually have 'reasons'?
    I do it 'just for the heck of it'.

:evil:

woodpigeon, hi_watt and tIANcI like this.
  18. Khorn

I guess I also might do it ‘cause it’s Monday. “Can’t trust that day”.

Ingenieur likes this.
  19. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I need a reason? :shh:

bever70 and Ingenieur like this.
  20. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I didn't like the way my amplifier was watching my every move ..... studying me ..... judging me.
    I'm sure you've all felt the same at one time or another.
    One of my speakers is eyeing me now as I write ........

Slimwhit33, JoshD and Ingenieur like this.
  21. Khorn

In my case that wouldn’t be a very prudent move on their part.

fogalu likes this.
  22. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Sneaky too
    I save a cupcake for after work...I get home it's gone! I find crumbs around my Mac amp!
    Like it's mocking me!
    :rant:

fogalu likes this.
  23. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

My lamest reason : Upgrading a sub to match my speakers brand.
    It was totally worth it though. :edthumbs:

Mindhead1 likes this.
  24. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Traded away my Magnepan 12s because they bugged me: I was constantly distracted by wondering how the hell they worked, ( even though, I have read a lot on the topic, it still doesnt make sense ), how the ribbons seemed to make different sounds at different points. Couldn't get past it.

25. crzcrz

crzcrz Well-Known Member

My system was producing weird noise, which I attributed to my aging preamplifier. So I changed it. I have later learned that the noise was caused by a Tp-link powerline adapter that was plugged in the outlet on the same group as the stereo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.