What's the least talented band you love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Two Sheds, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Was tempted to post this but there is some serious talent behind releasing, what, at least 140 albums in the span of 30 years? Not to mention full books of poetry, literature, paintings, all that? You can argue that it's quantity over quality - though thee two Milkshakes records I found were certainly on par with the best of the early Kinks stuff, I dug it a lot - but I'd argue there's some serious talent in his sheer determination to actually do that much. Even if it was all crap, you'd need to be superhuman to make it all. Rock on Billy!

Thanks for reminding me to look for that 25 Years Of Being Childish CD... not sure I need the man's whole discography, but I do want something on aluminum.

hutlock and RudolphS like this.
  2. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

At least three of them anyway

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Ignorant, perhaps.
    Controversial, perhaps not.

Jimmy B. and Instant Dharma like this.
  4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

His dancing is a highlight of their recordings.

5. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Jimmy Reed, a rudimentary guitarist and harmonica player, kinda mush-mouthed too, and the songs are not totally samey but still kinda - and yet he's lovable as can be and a huge influence on scores of great bands.

drad dog, Bluesman Mark and Fullbug like this.
  6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I saw Oasis on their first US tour, in a theater. The four musicians were rudimentary at best. They were laughably bad when they noodled between songs, which they all did at that point in their career, but as soon as a song started they'd pull together and it really sounded "just like the record".

I missed it, but some people in the audience witnessed a tremendous row between Liam and Noel behind the theater before their set.

Mr wiggles and Fullbug like this.
  7. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

I think it's cool your expressing your opinion, but I did not write my post with minimal knowledge of the Monkees. But if you think it comes off as ignorant, you're allowed to have your opinion and I see how you could get that impression.

Bluesman Mark and hutlock like this.
  8. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

All of them were. Peter and Mike were decent songwriters. Micky and Davy had phenomenal voices.

9. InStepWithTheStars

Didn't listen to the video linked earlier... this is even better than Thee Milkshakes! I really need to be more Childish.

10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

First band that came to my mind is MX-80 Sound. They weren’t conventionally “good” musicians (or at least seem that way) and would probably drive most people insane, but I dig them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Dudley Morris and hutlock like this.
  11. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Do I have to keep posting the fact that Irving Berlin could only play piano in the key of F major, i.e. he only ever played the black keys, to prove that limited instrumental technique does not imply lack of musical talent?

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Would love to know if the SHF posters of the day were calling Irving Berlin talentless or not.

ARK and thrivingonariff like this.
  13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Nowadays Irv could do all his composing using software and never have to touch a piano keyboard, he would have loved it.

mbd40 and danasgoodstuff like this.
  14. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Well the Stones was the obvious one but yeah, the other two is contentious!

15. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I honestly can't think of any bands I love that are "least talented". I love some bands that aren't as technically proficient as others, but to me talent is a broad spectrum. In fact, some of my favorite bands can get pretty sloppy at times but their talent lies in the ability to get people to feel something, to draw out emotions, to give people a reason to live. Those things come from a great kind of talent that some polished musicians don't greatly posses, a talent that as goes beyond being able to play incredible runs of 16th notes or change time signatures at the drop of a hat. Of course, those things can be very cool too. And add soulfulness to those skills and I'm thrilled there too.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  16. InStepWithTheStars

Whatever your favorite band is, they're completely untalented. Especially the person you like the most in it.

ARK likes this.
  17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The Sex Pistols

18. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Television

Lightworker likes this.
  19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Anybody that can come up with good songs is talented.

mbd40 and Jimmy B. like this.
  20. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I heard they influenced the way that Billy Gibbons dances on stage.

Dudley Morris and DavidD like this.
  21. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

There were a whole host of 70s Punk bands who seemed to think that Punk was a sound with pretty strict musical rules that had to be followed rather than being about an independent state of mind or a way of working outside and against the mainstream music business. I loved some of that music at the time. Not sure there was much talent going on there though a talent for imitation is still a talent!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Two Sheds likes this.
  22. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Yeah. These guys seem pretty rudimentary, but sound awesome.

Brian Lux likes this.
  23. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Leaving aside the notion of 'talent' (basically impossible to really define and surely if you love any music by said people they must have a talent for something) and taking it as 'conventional technical virtuosity' I'm gonna say maybe Royal Trux.

Some other good shouts though, The Cramps are probably a contender for me too.

24. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Apparently Ted Falconi was a trained pianist, was certainly a great digital artist. He sent me some stuff in teh early 00ies.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Okay I admit I like Starship's hits. Yes I love Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.