What's the Single Worst Piece of Audio Equipment You've Ever Experienced?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Spectral amps driving Wilson Alexandria II speakers. Ghastly. Drove me out of the room in less than 5 minutes.

VinylSoul and arcamsono like this.
  2. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Harmon Kardon tot with a Rabco linear arm. Hummed really bad from motor vibration. Finally tamed it down and it still was not good.

sean3089 likes this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have always noted that Japanese companies that made really nice receivers (back in the day) made very unimpressive speakers.

Never managed to figure that out?

MisterNines and Manimal like this.
  4. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

A Mission DAD 5 CD player from around 1994? The only CD player I ever thought "That sounds dreadful!"

ShallowMemory likes this.
  5. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Cornwalls. Should have kept there little brothers. All the $$$$in the world couldn't tame em'.,

6. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Digital amp. Ice amp.I swear a little t amp was better.

7. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Give me a well-designed tube amp any day of the week, e.g., a C-J, Zesto, Octave, T+A, Quad, & Wavac, etc.

The only SS amps I've heard that are comparable in quality and charateristics are DarTZeel, Technical Brain, and Burmester. Oh, and my C-J Premier 350.

8. dsf

dsf Well-Known Member

Yeah a had a Sound Design all in one back in the early 70s. Replace the 8 track with a Pioneer Centrex for my 1st decent system in the late 70s. Sadly the 8 track was still sorely lacking...

9. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

47 labs stuff - gaincard, dac, in fact all of it. For my ears it sounded absolutely mid-fi, like $150 receiver, just cheap, muddy sound.
    Tried to listen to it twice, on different shows.

And yet there are many people who love this stuff.

jenkovix likes this.
  10. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Any idea on how this compared to the later version 3X?

Yes, I'm amazed at what these are selling for now. I bought mine, along with a Stereo 70 back in the mid '70's for $100 for the pair. I get that that was a long time ago but really?

Moon42 likes this.
  11. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

It pains me to say this as a life long McIntosh guy. The McIntosh MVP-871 I had was junk. $5000 boat anchor. Refused to play random discs of random formats that played fine on players that cost 10% of what the Mc did. Still a fan of McIntosh amps, still own them. Disc spinners never again.

hi_watt and motorstereo like this.
  12. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I had one of those for about an hour before I returned it. Thin, lifeless, fingernails on a blackboard.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Ditto for me. I can't ever remember vinyl sounding so bad. Even the cheapo P Mount cartridges I used in the 1980s sounded better.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  14. I find it strange that so many folks would agree with us. My current cart is the cheapest i have ever owned but i love it. This is a very odd hobby. Also you have the same deck as me and you are the same age as me!

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

CJ units of the last 10-15 have become very unreliable. Still great sounding but would fail without even touching them. I had more units that had to be returned for service.

VinylSoul and Dan Steele like this.
  16. Nikko Alpha 220 power-amp. Looked cool as f**k in 1980 and the kicker was I sold my Accuphase amp to get it. Worst cold transistor sound you could imagine. The only good news here is I tracked down the buyer of my Accuphase amp half way across the country some 30 years later and got it back!

17. SoulArt

SoulArt Member

Alesis iO26 souncard, not hardware but software, it simply not working and support is ZERO!

18. drobo

drobo Forum Resident

Cambridge Audio integrated amp required two warranty repairs within 6 months. Warranty is good but you need it. Chinese made junk. Put it in the box and bought a Japanese made Marantz which sounds better and very reliable.

Dan Steele and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

My buddy loves Nikko stuff but I think he has 70s receivers?
    Was watching a Kevin Deal video ( Upscale Audio) and he had a vintage Marantz receiver behind him as he said “ These vintage Marantz receivers sound great, I think I have a Nikko that’s better”. Made me think what’s up with this Nikko stuff and does my buddy have a point?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

First was a Sony digital tuner STJ 75 or something like that: LISTENING FATIGUE CENTRAL. Couldn’t listen longer than about 30 min max.

After using a KR Audio tube amp for a while I switched to what I now believe was a sort of experimental SS preamp. Looked great, sounded great. Second day got hammered with that insidious listener fatigue again. Really disappointed as the pre had great sonic attributes.

Lenco table: Should have come with a microphone.

Total SAE system: Had nice red lights also it had nice red lights.

A pair of speakers that looked like fancy column end tables: Much better for serving tea than listening.

I could go on but.......

VinylSoul and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Class d amp. Couldn't stand it. Bass was way to powerful. It seems people love that type of bass. Not me.
    After trying to like,I sold them.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

This thread can be easily summarized by -- "There's huge variation in how people hear." (Which also explains the mind-boggling number of companies making audio equipment, to serve those differences.)

It also is a textbook demonstration of how much some audio consumers exaggerate how awful (or great) a given component sounds to them ... :D

Dennis Metz likes this.
  23. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Nikko amplifier. Used so maybe it was sick. But I got rid of it quickly.

24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

AKAI mini-component system. I got rid of it faster than quickly. :agree: Gave it away.

VinylSoul likes this.
  25. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

No wonder you did not rate it. There is no such thing as a Rega Exact2.