What's the speed of your turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TVC15, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I know it says the app is optimized for iPhone 5 but does it work with iPhone 4?

2. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

No idea, give it a try.

groovelocked likes this.
  3. missan

missan Forum Resident

Here You have the standards on how W&F should be measured. There is a weighing curve that somewhat corresponds with Fletcher Munson curves, but the best is of course to use the unfiltered curve, because this is the real curve, these are the real figures.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39225261/W&F Standards.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  4. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Have my LP12 set up every year and a bit. I trust my dealer on this one.

Long Live Analog and Gasman1003 like this.
  5. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

The speed of my turntable is 0.0000. It sits in the same place since long.

:D

missan likes this.
  6. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-----------------------
    I have been known to need some serious couch time. It all started at a 5,000 watt AM/FM station in Charlotte, MI. And then......

The FRiNgE likes this.
  7. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

--------------------------------------------
    And we all thought that "jitter" was something new when CD's problems were first discovered. Been here longer than that. The sad part is that even $10,000 turntables have the same issues.

The FRiNgE, TVC15 and missan like this.
  8. missan

missan Forum Resident

For a DD TT the 'speed' is normally very easy to adjust exactly how you want it. This is normally a little more tricky with BDs, naturally, if not being able to adjust the frequency. But it can also be done using a belt that has exactly the right thickness.

The most important is of course the W&F, as this has many different sources and is very difficult to adjust.

9. TVC15

I'm not sure this tells us anything about filtered / unfiltered. I can pay a little extra to Feickert for DIN W&F, but I have not done so.

10. TVC15

I would like for others to post similar charts, for comparison. I've seen Feickert output from other forums and the +/- .4% unfiltered is fairly typical.

But I'd like to see what people on this forum are experiencing.

11. missan

missan Forum Resident

Raw freq is not filtered, but how the filtering is done we don´t know. What these charts tell is how the filtering should be done, but the most interesting is always unfiltered of course.

12. missan

missan Forum Resident

What is fairly typical is of course depending on the TT and the testrecord.

13. TVC15

Perhaps --- care to post your results?

Jim has the most interesting post yet... comparing the somewhat imaginary worries about 'jitter' to the very real issues affecting vinyl playback. Unavoidable even on the most expensive setups. There's just no avoiding the fact that vinyl playback in an imperfect beast. And many would rather just not know, and continue to believe that it's less flawed than it is.

Tonight I'm going to run more tests on mine, and compare belts. I also seem to recall my 'raw' frequency results looking a lot better after I let the able run in for awhile, using one rather than two belts.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Possibly dumb and overly pedantic question here (maybe even "certainly)" regarding the Turntabulator...couldn't the weight of the phone sitting on the platter slow down the speed by a small fraction compared to the weight of a record (maybe depending upon the type of drive and the power of motor)?

If we're measuring to 1/100th of an rpm...

15. TVC15

No more than a record weight or clamp. If a phone sitting at the spindle is slowing your table down you've got problems .

An iPhone 5 weighs 4 ounces. The Rp10 platter is some 15 lbs or so? What's the weight of a VPI Classic platter? 25lbs?

And as I've said, turntabulator results correspond with Platterspeed, which doesn't involve a spinning phone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
  16. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

I have two belt driven turntables and never ever experienced audible interference regarding their speed. No need to check it!

Gasman1003 likes this.
  17. missan

missan Forum Resident

Not perhaps. :) The speed and W&F are depending on the TT and the test record. I don´t measure this way, so I don´t have these charts. I just look at an FFT plot of a 3150Hz tone.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes, but don't all of those things potentially influence speed and -- particularly with regard to the platter -- are part of the design of the turntable? The platter is a constant -- you don't remove it after measuring the speed.

I only ask because folks are talking about 33.35 vs 33.33. I guess one could simply measure the speed with and without a clamp (or some other 4 oz weight) and see if the speed changes...

19. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

It uses a very small magnet, placed on the bottom de of the platter, and a hallway sensor that attached to the plinth. When the magnet crosses the sensor, it sends a reading to the Roadrunner, which then monitors rotation continuously in real time. When connected to the Eagle power supply, it makes compares the actual rotational speed to the target speed, and makes small adjustments to power in order to maintain the target speed accurately.

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I just downloaded the android app. I may need to go home early today to make the measurement.

Robert C likes this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

with the "rpm calculator" on and andraid my VPI classic is at 33.7 and my debut carbon is at 33.6. I feel like I want to try the iphone app before I make the investment in hardware to correct this.

or is this within the range of being ok?

22. Sean Sandoval

Sean Sandoval Senior Member

I got 33.3-33.2 on my dual TT. I used the android app "rpm calculator" too.

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

24. :tiphat:
    It takes about 15 seconds. But I guess that's an excuse to go home early.

Robert C likes this.
  25. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

I tried cleaning the belt and re-oiling the bearing and I've now got it down to 33.65 rpm from 33.7rpm. The app tells me this "ideal" and I'm just going to go with it, cause it sounds dang good as it always has.

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.