What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Nick Nolte attended Guided by Voices' first concert (1983 in Columbus, Ohio). He was in town filming a movie.

InStepWithTheStars and drad dog like this.
  2. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I just saw a video clip from 2013 where Danny Tedesco,Herb Alpert,Jerry Moss & Lou Adler present studio drummer Hal Blaine a plaque in honor of the records where he was a session member and later became a Grammy Record Of The Year. The plaque has seven 45 singles,actual singles, and one is kinda strange. The 45 of A Taste Of Honey is not an original but a Forget-Me-Not reissue 45. Don't you think Alpert or Moss could have rustled up at least one with the original label? Maybe those styrene copies did indeed disintegrate.

3. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Not really "absurd" but still pretty interesting, at least to me: The Cure's Lol Tolhurst used Rick Buckler (The Jam)'s drum kit on the Three Imaginary Boys recording sessions.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  4. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

This reminds me of this bit of trivia: Karen Carpenter tried out for Kenny Rogers & The First Edition but wasn't selected.

Steve Litos likes this.
  5. Solitaire1

With Dionne Warwick, the name change came about by accident. There was a misprinting of her last name as "Warwick" on her first record and she kept the spelling (at another point for a time she changed her last name to "Warwicke").

mtvgeneration and drad dog like this.
  6. Solitaire1

According to Wikipedia, "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone is actually a cover. The original version, from the movie of the same name, featured a singer named Kasey Cisyk. For Boone's version, they used the same backing track used in Cisyk's version and replaced her vocals with Debby Boone's.

uzn007 likes this.
  7. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Derek Griffiths of 70s UK Children's TV fame is one of the chorus singers on The Beatles' I Am The Walrus.

8. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

Russell and Ron Mael once made a jokey comment about being the sons of Doris Day. This apparently led to their Swedish publisher giving Doris a cut of the profits from This Town, but I don't know how true the story is. Why would they give profits to an artist's mother (while the artist is still alive) to begin with?

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

That Jimi Hendrix opened for the Monkees.

10. Solitaire1

Link Wray played the guitar opening on the song "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks.*

Per the book "I Hate Myself And Want To Die - The 52 Most Depressing Songs You've Ever Heard" by Tom Reynolds.

11. Solitaire1

Per Wikipedia, Frank Farian was the voice behind the groups Boney M. and Milli Vanilli.

12. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Awesome book!

13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

And The Walker Brothers !

<------

SincerelyLCohen likes this.
  14. Mark Fricke

Mark Fricke Forum Resident

Billy Ocean had three number one hits.

All three had eight words in the title

Carribean Queen - No More Love On The Run
    Get Outta My Dream. Get Into My Car
    There'll Be Sad Songs To Make You Cry

"When The Going Get's Tough, The Tough Get Going" only went to number 2 because it had nine words.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

On a similar note, the engineer for this classic was....Emitt Rhodes!

16. Solitaire1

I agree. The book is a great, and very funny, read. I'm working on getting all 52 songs (plus one*) so that I can have the ultimate depressing playlist.

*"Gloomy Sunday" by Billie Holliday, which is in class of its own when it comes to depressing songs.

17. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

18. SincerelyLCohen

SincerelyLCohen Active Member

My all time favorite trivia pertaining to music is this

James Joyce lost an amateur Irish Tenor competition , and figured if he wasn't good enough to win an amateur competition then maybe he should give up being a Tenor completely. He was encouraged to enter the competition by John Mccormack, the greatest Irish Tenor to ever live.

Aphoristical and NumberEight like this.
  19. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Tony Hazzard wrote “Ha Ha Said The Clown” and “Goodnight Sweet Josephine,” both done by the Jimmy Page-era Yardbirds. The former is usually considered one of The Yardbirds’ weakest records.

Tony Hazzard also wrote the stone-cold bluegrass classic “Fox On The Run,” done by Emerson & Waldron, Tom T. Hall, The Country Gentlemen & many others.

Weird.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Ha Ha Said The Clown was also covered by Manfred Mann and made it to #4 in 1967.

Lost In The Flood and munjeet like this.
  21. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Did Manfred Mann issue “Ha Ha Said The Clown” before The Yardbirds recorded it?

Manfred Mann did “Fox On The Run” too. They recorded “Fox” first, I think.

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Manfred Mann released it first.

Lost In The Flood and munjeet like this.
  23. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Not really my favorite bit of absurd music trivia, but here's some grim trivia someone pointed out to me:

Question: Which classic American band once recorded an album that included three songs written by convicted murderers (though two of the songwriters were convicted of murder well after the album was produced)?

Answer: The Beach Boys.

The album: 20/20.

The songs and songwriters in question:

"Cotton Fields" (written by Leadbelly)

"Never Learn Not to Love" (adapted from Charles Manson's "Cease to Exist")

"I Can Hear Music" (co-written by Phil Spector)

24. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Who is the fourth murderer on the record?

MortSahlFan likes this.
  25. ...and although not on that album, a convicted and mentally ill murderer played on one of their recordings at one point...Jim Gordon.