What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The wording of this particular sentence has me in stitches. Thank you!

2. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

The Deaf Club, in San Francisco, would supplement their budget by renting out the club to punk bands. The rest of the clientele were the deaf community of S.F. who just hung out drinking and signing to each other, probably amused to watch but not hear, the cacophony on stage next to them. Some good recordings are out there of The Dead Kennedys and Black Flag from the venue. It was eventually shut down...for neighborhood noise violations.

3. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

The Beatles turned down a £200m reunion gig in 1976 because the warm-up act was a man wrestling a shark.....

Ken Wood likes this.
  4. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I remember reading that deaf punks experienced punk rock quite well and sought out the shows.

john lennonist and hi_watt like this.
  5. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

I’m sure that’s true too, though I think it remained open during shows as just a social club/bar for the usual clientele. I was friends with a guy who was deaf and looved punk and metal shows for the energy and the louder music allowed him to feel it and totally experience it that way.

6. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Jimmy Carter and Berry Gordy are second cousins.

7. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Wow didn't know that :yikes:

MikaelaArsenault and dave9199 like this.
  8. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Ya, pretty wild. I didn't know that either until I saw this video about Berry Gordy's family tree. The YouTuber has done family trees about lots of countries, etc. Some of them are quite interesting.

9. classicrockguy

LOL haha Berry, Terry, Kerry, Sherry and... Rockwell?? What's he doing in there? :confused:

Dan Steely likes this.
  10. classicrockguy

The musical movie "Willy Wonka" was intended to be a promo for a new "Wonka" candy bar, which failed after they couldn't stay on the shelf without melting. The movie became famous, the candy forgotten about

Retropsych likes this.
  11. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick once played on a Yardbirds song.

geo50000 and uzn007 like this.
  12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

There was a whole line of "Wonka"-branded candy in the stores throughout my childhood. At least through the 80s, when Nerds were introduced. The fun fact is that the movie producers changed the title from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory to increase awareness of the name "Wonka."

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Wait a minute; if Gordy is Rockwell's dad then also he's related to Jimmy Carter? That sounds even more unbelievable.

14. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I could never figure out that these two titles were the same movie. Granted, I never bothered to look it up but was always confused by it.

uzn007 likes this.
  15. InStepWithTheStars

As was discussed in the thread about his newest album, Paul Weller is the only artist to have a #1 album for five consecutive decades on the UK chart, solo or as the primary writer in a group. He's had seven studio albums hit #1 in the UK, beginning with The Gift in 1982 (by the Jam, on which he wrote 10 of the 11 songs) and Our Favourite Shop (by the Style Council, on which he wrote 8 of the 14 tracks alone and co-wrote five of the remaining six), and following with his solo albums Stanley Road (1995), Illumination (2002), 22 Dreams (2008), Sonik Kicks (2012), and On Sunset (2020).

The only other artist who can come close to this is David Gilmour, who had UK #1 albums in each decade from the '70s to the '10s - although, the only Pink Floyd album in the '80s to hit #1, The Final Cut, featured no Gilmour writing credits, and was billed on the back cover as being "by Roger Waters, performed by Pink Floyd". He plays on it (and has some great contributions, IMO), but is not the primary creative force.

I, for one, was stunned to learn that Paul McCartney has not had a UK #1 album since 1989 (!!!) with Flowers In The Dirt, and that Weller has had five albums top the chart since that time. It's also worth noting that both Lennon and McCartney do qualify for six decades between the '60s and '10s (and possibly '20s, I'm not positive on that) due to compilations and reissues; however, Weller is the only one to do so entirely with albums of new material. (In fact, all seven of his #1 albums were new studio albums, and he never had a live album or compilation hit #1 - not even the Jam's Snap!)

phillyal1 and kouzie like this.
  16. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Not true. Gilmour co-wrote Not Now John.

Rycherocker634 likes this.
  17. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

They still did Wonka branded candy when I was a kid in the early-00s they were quite prominent here in Australia. Oddly enough it sort of died down by the time the crappy Tim Burton movie came out though there was a tie-in Wonka bar for that movie.

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Pompatus" is actually what Clive Davis sits on.

(This may or may not be true...but it sounds right)

19. InStepWithTheStars

He has lead vocals, but not a writing credit. Perhaps he was snubbed. But either way, The Final Cut is most definitely Roger's baby - calling it "David Gilmour's only #1 album in the 1980s" is a bit of a stretch.

20. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Really? These are songs both covered and there are recordings of them by the Beatles though I don`t know for most of them wether there is a recording exiting by the Stones:

Carol
    Crackin`up
    Hitch Hike
    Not fade away
    Little Queenie
    Roll over Beethoven
    I`m talking bout you
    Hi Heel Sneakers
    Road Runner
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Boys
    Kansas City
    Bad Boy
    Johnny B Good

Stones fans please check!

However (regarding the Beatles) only few of them were released legally on "record" (vinyl), so you might have (another) point here.

Most of them are either live, radio or Let it Be sessions.

21. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

And just for a bit of fun:

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  22. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Ok, I did a quick check myself via youtube - I found versions by the Stones for all but Boys and Bad Boy.

23. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

How about that. I checked numerous Discogs pictures and you're right, they all say it's a Waters song. Yet I always knew this had a Gilmour/Waters credit. Wikipedia says so also for what that's worth. I don't know where I saw that. I had the album then CD.

24. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

He might not have shared John`s and George`s love for the "Guru crap" but he stated the reason that he was feeling left out and not playing well.
    Not sure who exactly played which part in getting him back but I think all of them were asking him to do so.
    Final recording session (for George) in Twickenham. He joined then again at Apple and after that recorded one more album. Never heard the Ringo quote.

25. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

The The's Matt Johnson and Johnny Marr were friends before either of them found much success. Matt asked Johnny if he wanted to join The The as guitarist, and Johnny declined - as he'd formed The Smiths the week or so before.

The Jesus and Mary Chain "sing" backing vocals on Erasure's "Drama". The two bands were recording in the same studio at the same time, and Erasure asked them to do so. (Well, by sing I meant they drunkenly shouted "GUILTY!" onto the song)

And Underworld's Karl Hyde was guitarist in Debbie Harry's band in 1991 when the band briefly split.

You see him playing his distinctive Text guitar at around 2 minutes in this clip.