What's your favorite song with only TWO chords? Mine is "Baby Come Back" by The Equals. Yours??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Python

Python Forum Resident

That's funny, my son just started learning guitar and called me from college the other day all excited because he (thought he) could play this because it was only two chords, and Em may be the easiest chord to play.

I know the D9/6 (2x0200), but how to you play Em9 and Dmaj9?

2. captone

captone Forum Resident

The very first chord in the song (intro) sounds like an Fmaj7 (this could be the same Dmin chord that is throughout the song but with a different voicing) followed by what sounds like an Emin (with an F# or an Emin9). Also in the chorus "I'll keep holding on", the chord over top of the "holding on" is a variation of the G chord heard in the verses. All of the chords are complex (there are no basic minor or major chords - lots of 9 and 13 chords), but even if one says the variation of that G chord does not constitute a separate chord, that 2nd chord (Emin9 ?) is definitely unique to the others. So in fact, there are at least 3 chords in the song.

3. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

+1 for Born In The USA. I don't know if the outro should count (additional V and maybe more).

4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Clearly we're not classically trained musicians that can spot chord changes that could be mistaken for the musician choosing another note that's part of a 4 note chord with a low and high octave and two other half step harmonics in the center referencing a chromatic scale. I can tell you for sure I can't name a chord by hearing it in a song. I was a sheet music reading musician session player.

But I have relatives who are prolific at playing by ear very complex songs and none can tell me what chord they're playing.

5. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Roadrunner by Modern Lovers.

6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Lou Reed has a lot of two chord songs, I think there's three on one album alone, "Rock and Roll Heart".

7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Jonathan Richman? That has more than two.

8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

... three chords!

9. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure the verse has two chords.

10. Tim Lookingbill

How many chords in this song? Sounds pretty simple enough...

"Working In The Coal Mine" by Lee Dorsey...

brunofaetten likes this.
  11. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

That has more than two chords. Don't forget the "Roadrunner once, roadrunner twice" bit.

12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Definitely more than two, I hear four at least.

thehatandbeard likes this.
  13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

"Coconut" by Harry Nilsson is another one chord song, by the way.

14. Tim Lookingbill

How many chords? Eric Burdon & War's "Love Is All Around"...

15. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

What we would call "verse" and "chorus" have the same chords based on the same triads Dm and G though.
    They are embellished with 7th, 9th and 13th but i don't hear no other triad than those two (just listen to the bass guitar part).
    The first chord played on what you call the intro is a Dm9 (followed by a G9 wich would become a G13 thanks to the strings arrangement in the instrumental part between the verses. Example : around 1'44").
    According to me, there are only two chords basically but i can understand that you disagree. :D

16. Tim Lookingbill

Sorry, gotta' name them. Someone playing a half step harmonic as part of the melody could be misjudged as a chord change. The only way to know for sure is to name the point in the song where there is an alternate chord change that makes it more than 2 chords.

No one is doing that here. They're just throwing musical notation on the wall to see who scoffs. The proof is in the fact everyone seems to not hear more than 2 chords in a song. Guess there's not too many technically talented musicians here.

17. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

Running it through in my head it sounds like four.

18. Tim Lookingbill

Do you think that kind of instruction is going to stop folks from posting songs where they don't hear or understand what you are saying? I don't think so.

19. Recordingpianoman

Recordingpianoman Forum Resident

Temptation, by New Order

20. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I think your referring to notes, not chords there...

21. Recordingpianoman

Recordingpianoman Forum Resident

This kinda counts, two “chord areas” if you will:
    No One Receiving, Eno

BeauZooka likes this.
  22. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I don't think you actually need to be a musician to recognize different chords?

Suncola and thehatandbeard like this.
  23. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I was quite interested in this thread. But, when I look up the two chord songs, and then listen to them while reading the chords, all the songs I've tried so far have had more than two chords. One of them had five chords.

I don't want to point out individual examples as I'm interested in hearing examples, rather than having an argument. But, it seems that many songs that on the surface sound a bit two-chordy ... aren't.

thehatandbeard likes this.
  24. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Eno's another one with quite a few two chord songs, off the top of my head: "Third Uncle" and "Baby's On Fire"

Recordingpianoman likes this.
  25. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

There's songs that are two-chordy most of the time and might only use different chords very briefly - "Roadrunner", for instance.

Panama Hotel and HitAndRun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.