What's your favourite piece of "fictional music"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dudley Morris, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, and we even got a bonus CD with the special edition DVD set...

2. Michael

I'd include all of them!

3. Michael

hey! is that Shades from the Wonders? ; )

4. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

If we can count real songs by fictional artists, this version of “Baby I Love Your Way” from ‘High Fidelity’ rates high for me, too:

5. Michael

The Odd Couple-Happy Peppy and Bursting With Love!

LouieG and CatchAsCan like this.
  6. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Do fictional covers count?

casey casey likes this.
  7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, it was first recorded in 1928 I think. It was so popular for the Stanley Brothers in the '50s that they rerecorded it when they changed labels. Bob Dylan famously recorded in on his first album. Judy Collins and Joan Baez and Peter, Paul & Mary cut it during those folk revival years. Waylon Jennings cut it. It's been recorded a lot.

8. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I love the film Sing Street. If you like 80's new wave pop this is worth watching.

9. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

10. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Star Wars - the song in the bar!

Hammerpeg and wavethatflag like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The thread's premise looks for songs "written by" and performed by fictional characters, not songs about fictional characters.

Bowie was a real person who wrote about a character. If a character had written about Bowie, then it'd qualify...

12. Oatsdad

Doesn't count because a real person wrote/performed the song.

If Bowie had played a character on the show, then it'd count, but he played himself...

13. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

One of the plot threads running through the film Love Actually is the story of washed-up pop singer Billy Mack (played by Bill Nighy), who makes one last comeback attempt by cynically re-writing and recording the Troggs' (and Wet Wet Wet's) hit "Love Is All Around" as a holiday song, "Christmas Is All Around," in hopes of beating out the latest UK boy band and earning that most coveted of honors, the UK Christmas #1 hit.

14. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Where was all you’ve say that was donated in the thread said. Admittedly I in this case only read the title which simply states; “what’s your favorite piece of fictional music”. It says nothing more. I chose to interpret as I liked. If you’d like to see a more detailed picture of my thought process I refer you to my reply to someone else posted at 4:02pm. In any case don’t really sweat it. It’s not all that important.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  15. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I thought I'd quoted your comment before my reply to you... seems not. My reply can be seen as post #164

16. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Well, I’ve devoted more time than I should admit wondering what this classic LP sounds like - Spinal Tap, Shark Sandwich:

[​IMG]

17. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

I would imagine that this qualifies, also - an incredible record. The Archies, “Sugar, Sugar”

18. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Also, “Catalina Breeze” and especially “Gentle And Soft” by the fictional Fred Armisen project The Blue Jean Committee - spot-on satire, really excellent. Here’s a sample.

19. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I believe you are mistaken. I don’t recall the premise of the thread being music performed by a fictional character. It was music created to exist within the “reality” of a particular medium.

So, “Fat Man” by Bowie counts :righton:

20. Oatsdad

Maybe - OP should decide.

And if he disagrees with me, he should be flogged, tattooed and hung! :D

21. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Trying to post one, but for some reason my Youtube links are not working. Any help appreciated.

22. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

The classical music that is described in a famous German novel in its penultimate chapter is supposed to and does come to life in the words of its fictional creator. It is the closest any novel I've read has come to capturing the creative and emotional process of composing and gives it enough pages of the book to seem like it's happening in real time in front of your reading eyes.
    The fictional composer is Hanno (Johannes) Buddenbrooks created by Thomas Mann.
    The music the character is described as composing is not named but Thomas Mann seems to have had Wagner's opera 'Tristan und Isolde' in mind and was imagining his character's feelings as he created this.
    The novel is called 'Buddenbrooks' and here's the Wagner model:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  23. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

What a great thread. So many good ones to choose from...how about
    Cube Squared (a.k.a Devo) - Babydoll from Tapeheads!

Love Love Love Love this show, btw....did I mention I love it? Cute as hell and the music is great.

24. Essan

Essan Forum Resident

Arguably one of the greatest songs (n)ever written .... :D

Shambolicus likes this.
  25. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

Oh man, just remembered another one. It's a beautiful piece of 70's-esque soul by Rembrandt "Crying Man" Brown from the series Sliders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.