When Artists Quote/Sample Their Own Songs On Their Own Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guerilla1977, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Examples first:
    • George Michael quotes the melody to Wham!'s Freedom in the opening seconds of his 'Faith' album
    • Robert Plants samples many different Led Zeppelin songs in the closing minute to his song Tall Cool One
    To be clear, I'm referring to someone sampling their own song on a subsequent album; not the same album. Which of course rules out all sorts of 'reprises' or 'outros'.

I'm more interested in musical samples, but throw out some lyrical samples if you got 'em.
    • Sting uses this lyric - "Do I have to tell the story, about a thousand rainy days since we first met? It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet" - in 3 songs: Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, O My God, and Seven Days. All songs are from different albums.

ARK likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Queen end their debut LP with a short instrumental version of Seven Seas of Rhye. Their second album ends with the full version.

Made In Heaven, on the track Mother Love, samples a lot of Queen songs, it's claimed all of them for a very split second.

andrewskyDE, Dodoz and pscreed like this.
  3. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

The Kinks channeling both Lola and "All day and all of the Night" on"Destroyer"

Frozensoda and Skydog_71 like this.
  4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Sting quoted several lines from "Every Breath You Take," including the new line "every cake you bake," at the end of "Love Is the Seventh Wave."

ARK likes this.
  5. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

The Eurythmics quote Sweet Dreams in Seventeen Again.

6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thomas Dolby-Eastern Bloc, 1992
    Europa And The Pirate Twins, 1982
    Men Without Hats-Pop Goes The World, 1987
    The Safety Dance, 1983

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  7. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Aerosmith "Eat The Rich Intro", samples "Walk This Way"

Fullbug, Skydog_71 and The Space Ace like this.
  8. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Neil Sedaka's hit ballad version of "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" (1975-76) starts with a short sample from his original 1962 uptempo version.

Skydog_71 likes this.
  9. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

KISS plays a bit of Rock And Roll All Nite (from ALIVE!) in the intro to Detroit Rock City (from Destroyer).

The Space Ace likes this.
  10. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

10cc samples their song "Clockwork Creep" from 1974 in the intro of "I'm Mandy Fly Me" from 1976:

"Oh, no you'll never get me up in one of these again
    Cause what goes up must come
    Down, down, down, down, down"

Lonesurf likes this.
  11. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Bowie did this often.

Dodoz likes this.
  12. The Space Ace

The Space Ace Forum Resident

I believe the Run-DMC cover of Walk This Way featuring Steven Tyler and Joe Perry uses a couple different samples from the original Aerosmith recording of the song off of Toys In the Attic. I believe most of the song uses a drum machine, but the second verse on the album version switches the drum machine out for Joey Kramer's original 1975 drum track. Steven also seems to sing over his younger self in the final verse. I can't really tell if this is the case on the album version, but it seems pretty obvious on the single edit.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Simon & Garfunkel's "Save The Life of My Child" samples "Sounds of Silence"

buzzzx, Hall Cat and Dodoz like this.
  14. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Eurhythmics - in the fade out of '17 Again', Annie quotes the opening line of their biggest hit and to this day, still their calling card worldwide.

EDIT: Dammit, too slow!

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Yesternow" from Miles Davis's Jack Johnson has a section of "Shh/Peaceful" from In A Silent Way.

16. Buddybud

Buddybud Paisley DayGlo Freak!

Save the life of my child samples the sound of silence on Bookends by Simon and Garfunkle.

17. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Brian Wilson's "Smart Girls"
    Redd Kross sample themselves ("Standing In Front Of Poseur") at the beginning of "Jimmy's Fantasy"

18. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Of course, there's the quote from "Mr. Soul" that begins Buffalo Springfield's "Broken Arrow" — although it's not taken from the original studio version of the song but is rather an alternate version with Dewey Martin singing lead and fake audience sounds dubbed in to make it sound "live."

7solqs4iago likes this.
  19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Roger McGuinn's "Same Old Sound" rolls out several typical D-D2-Dadd3 riffs from his Byrds days. None that can be particularly identified with a given song — although at the very end he whips out some vocal "la-la"s that are quite obviously sourced from "So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star."

newelectricmuse likes this.
  20. Nazareth sample their version of " This Flight Tonight" on Close enough for Rock and Roll.

21. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Duran Duran re-used the end of The Chauffeur on their 1995 song Drive-By.

22. The Clash Mick Jones samples "Should I stay or should I go" on Big Audio Dynamite's The Globe

23. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Prince : "My Name is Prince" samples "I Wanna Be Your Lover" and "Partyup".

The guitar track in "Orgasm" (1993) is the one from "Private Joy" (1981)! :eek:

The very apocalyptic "Devil's Triangle" by King Crimson samples "The Court of the Crismon King", making it even more eerie.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  24. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

And the "yeah" track is a sample from Queen's "Action This Day".

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not exactly a "sample" per se, but on the last Guess Who album that Burton Cummings was a part of ( Power In The Music ), is a song called, "When The Band Was Singin' 'Shakin' All Over'" (a challenge of single-and-double apostrophes and quotation marks if ever there was one). The then-current ensemble recreates the same riffs and guitar flourishes from the original single. The cool thing about it is, the guitar riff comes from Randy Bachman, who was never there to play that again when they toured it...and, the song was originally sung by Chad Allan...before Burton was even with the band. It would have been either "cool", or "inappropriate" to have played it when the two of them re-formed in 2000 and toured into 2002...but, at least they actually performed the original hit during those shows.

Wonder if Chad ever had an opinion about that. Was he ever allowed to come onstage during that tour to belt it out just once...? I always felt it was a shame, Burton needled him mercilessly until he quit the band before the RCA albums ever really started the band's real rise to stardom, and he wasn't a part of the 1983 Together Again reunion, either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.