When did Mick Taylor start to get sick of the Stones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by babaluma, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Clapton had to be scraped off of the floor a couple of times, once in the early 70’s and once in the early 80’s. I think his peerless reputation amongst his fellow musicians and fans helped him at both times, which I’m sure bolstered his confidence. Some people are wired differently, I guess.

DTK likes this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

twicks likes this.
  4. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident Thread Starter

One key point for me is that MT primarily wanted to be a blues guitarist in the tradition of Albert King. While he branched out into other styles I think deep down it was not really where his heart was. Andy Johns mentioned how the only time he saw MT get excited by his playing was the playback of Hide Your Love and his most revered performances were on Love in Vain (live) and Stop Breaking Down.

I think there are roughly 2 types of musician, those who find what they love early and never really see the point in moving away from it. For example Johnny Winter. And then the other is one who starts with a style and then evolves into other areas. One is not better than the other, I love Albert King as much as Miles Davis and Prince. If MT had made a straight blues album for his first solo album I think it would be held in higher esteem and laid the ground work for later success. He could have really jumped on the interest in blues sparked by Robert Cray, Albert Collins and Buddy Guy in the mid 80s.

With a bit more focus and discipline he could have possibly done a Gary Moore. A famous quote is not whether he regretted leaving the Stones as regretted joining them. The Stones took him into rock stardom and drugs and put him on a path which led to unrealistic expectations. Had he not joined and built on his work with John Mayall possibly he would have been happier and more artistically full filled?

All Down The Line and DTK like this.
  5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

And here's Dave and Keith in 1989 pretty much ignoring each other onstage again, haha.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I think two of his most revered performances were on Time Waits For No One and Can't You Hear My Knocking and they aren't really that bluesy. I get your point that he might have been more interested in something like blues or jazz fusion than straight ahead rock. However, you have to keep in mind that many of blues/rock guys were losing their contracts in the late seventies and early eighties, even artists like Johnny Winter and Roy Buchanan had to move to the smaller Alligator label to keep recording. Taylor's first solo album wasn't released until 1979. Playing sessions enabled him to play different types of music. I do think he might have been more comfortable keeping a lower profile as a blues or jazz fusion guy rather than a rock star. It might have been the reason he got more into session playing after leaving the Stones.

7. babaluma

Actually that is a very good point! Shame he didn't just end up doing some albums on Alligator like Roy'sWhen a Guitar Plays the Blues. Roy always balanced blues with some more jazzy jams.

All Down The Line and John Fell like this.
  8. All Down The Line

Iam interested to learn where I could read of Andy John's talking of Hide Your Love and other contributions?
    I revere Love In Vain (live) though are you stating Andy or Mick did?

9. babaluma

I think it is in this article, download pdf below, where Andy talks about HYL and also the infamous Keith quote "Taylor you are useless in the studio!". A very interesting interview! I think Love in Vain was see as MT best vehicle for soloing by Keith Richards while Andy Johns loved Stope Breaking Down, it was his idea to include it on the album as he loved the guitar so much.

https://vintageking.com/media/article-archives/pdf/andy-johns.pdf

All Down The Line and DTK like this.
  10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

"If leaving kept him alive then it wasn't a blunder". What a great line!!!! How true.

11. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Was just flipping thru the Sean Egan book again...noticed he says Tony Sanchez, Anita P., and Rose Taylor all said Mick Jagger and Mick Taylor had a sexual relationship going. I don't recall ever hearing that before. So perhaps, if true, that man sex thing got weird and Mick had to split. With his drugs. LoL.

rainingdogs likes this.
  12. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

Which one of them said it was "Five years of playing, twenty years of hanging about."

I guess anyone could get fed up with that.

13. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Pretty sure it was Charlie.

14. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

Jan.17 : today is Mick Taylor's 71st birthday :cheers:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

16. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Weird, that’s a new one.

DTK and btltez like this.
  17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Montreal 1972

Billy_Sunday, DTK, ssmith3046 and 3 others like this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

19. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

20. All Down The Line

An Olympic Player!

Hiraeth and btltez like this.
  21. All Down The Line

Yes it was.

btltez likes this.
  22. All Down The Line

Iam sceptical all we know is Rose came home and they had reportedly crashed out together and the rumours from there.

DTK and btltez like this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

1973 Advision Studios in London at Herbie Mann's London Underground recording sessions.

DTK, Hiraeth and All Down The Line like this.
  24. All Down The Line

Thanks for that.....between you and me he is still an Olympic player right! (Laughs)

Hiraeth and John Fell like this.
  25. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Yeah I'm skeptical too. Same with all the Jagger/Bowie rumors. Mick is very effeminate but pretty obvious he loves the ladies. There are rumors about Mick and Brian sleeping together too. Brian was bisexual but I just have doubts about Mick wanting to be with a man. Not that I spend any time thinking about it mind you, I don't really care. And not that there's anything wrong with it. LOL

DTK and All Down The Line like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.