When did Mick Taylor start to get sick of the Stones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by babaluma, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

That sounds correct John.

2. All Down The Line

Woody invited Taylor who iam pretty certain was already living in New York at the time.

3. All Down The Line

Well said.
    Beck said this live on Jools Holland and yes it got so real he had to make up an excuse and back away.

DTK likes this.
  4. All Down The Line

The Stones gave him a gold credit card which he was asked to hand back when he quit.

5. All Down The Line

Yes.

6. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Wow, did Keith really need to say something horrible like that?

7. All Down The Line

Nice post concerning Greenfield and Taylor during the making of Exile.
    Being uprooted to France with a young family and no serious earnings was clearly difficult.
    I don't believe he always wanted to be at Nelcotte but unlike other guests he had little other choice.
    I think the seeds of discontent were there but not necessarily going to result in departure. Mick interestingly bemoaned that since joining the band he never met anyone anymore.
    Taylor himself has said that the last year and a half of the band (post 72' US tour) were somewhat difficult for him which I took to mean relationship wise and certainly not only drug or songwriting wise.
    By Europe 73' at least he was a bit aloof from the band offstage and maybe not a little estranged.
    Concerning the band vibes in 74' Taylor pointedly said that he was not the only one (insert the name Wyman here) considering leaving.

Sean, DTK and Bassist like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I believe Harvey Mandel was choice #1 for skill but was vetoed because he didn’t fit in with the Stones’ image

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Jagger pushed for Harvey Mandel and Keith wanted Wayne Perkins.

Steve Litos, Sean, DTK and 2 others like this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Taylor's current girlfriend has stated on Facebook that he is still not receiving royalties. There was supposedly some sort of settlement about Taylor being omitted from the Tattoo You credits back in the 80's. Some say that the reason Taylor was invited back to tour with them for a few years was to make up for him not receiving royalties and throw him a bone to keep him happy.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Sean and DTK like this.
  11. JoeOnWheels

JoeOnWheels Forum Resident

Thanks John!

John Fell likes this.
  12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Likely.

13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Side note: with all this thread talk of the RRHOF and then, separately, John Mayall...I can’t figure out why Mayall’s vast army of ex-band mates who have been inducted into the Hall (and can vote) don’t push the nominating committee to put him on the ballot.

Ok, back to Taylor!

14. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Nope. He was on salary, as stated in the official Stones bio.

DTK likes this.
  15. All Down The Line

1. I have never heard that he was sick of being a Stone in the first year.

2. No and there is no clear evidence Keith was ever thinking about firing him either. Whatever his issues with Taylor he was both peeved and surprised he actually left and Did Not want to change the line up.
    Wyman even stated Taylor left a group meeting in a huff in latter 74' but the band didn't oust him and were pretty shocked he walked!

3. I believe he got on well with the band members though not so much Keith in the last year or two.
    Charlie loved his contributions and they had a mutual interest in jazz.
    Mick Jagger worked well with him in the studio and enjoyed singing off his melodic playing live plus also stated they used to hang out on tour.
    Bill spoke with him about working with Mick & Keith & what likely could and could not be achieved in the confines of the band.
    I was waiting for someone to say that.

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

That's not what Taylor and his current girlfriend has stated or what I have read in other places. His current girlfriend used to run his Facebook page. An example is posted below.

Rolling Stones Records was the record label formed by the Rolling Stones members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman in 1970, after their recording contract with Decca Records expired.

But what about his royalties from the Stones? ‘In 1982 they stopped paying me. They’d signed to a different record company and had new contracts and were advised they didn’t need to pay me any more,’ explained Taylor with a shrug.

‘Until then, I’d had a contract with Rolling Stones Records which was licensed to Atlantic Records – the same contract as the rest of the band.’

The deal gave him an equal share of performing royalties, though Jagger and Richards shared the writers’ royalties. But when the Atlantic contract expired, the band’s management used a loophole in Taylor’s contract to stop all payments.

‘I should have got a lawyer,’ he said. ‘But instead I called them rude words and asked how they could just stop paying me. They all know it’s not right. In fact it is outrageous. They get all the money and I get the plaudits and praise, even from Mick.

The above quotes are from the Daily Mail article @Say It Right posted.

This article has been posted many times in the Mick Taylor Facebook groups.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

When the heroin started to wear off, I’d imagine.

19. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

I heard a story some years back that he'd set up shop in a NYC recording studio
    and was advertising for paying customers to come down and "Jam with Mick Tayl0r"

20. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Choosing Ronnie Wood to replace Mick Taylor was a poor choice in my opinion. There could have been many others that would have been a better fit. However, he got the job and has been with them for many years now. Mick Taylor really modernized the Rolling Stones into the 1970's which is what they needed at that time. The records he was on are part of my favorite time in their catalog. I think he brought more than just his guitar abilities. A band is a sum of its parts and MT really delivered for his part. I haven't really liked that many Rolling Stones records since he left.

21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Here’s another good article from 2019.:

Mick Taylor: The Exiled Stone | Louder

It’s generally acknowledged that Taylor’s creative input came to bear on two Sticky Fingers songs – Sway and Moonlight Mile. Again, he chooses his words prudently.

“I had an influence on them. I mean, would Sway have existed without my contribution? Probably, but not the way it does. And the same goes for Moonlight Mile. I remember Mick writing that one in a train carriage on the way from Paddington to Bath....
    (Snip)
    "I remember it vividly. He started playing the song on acoustic guitar. Sway was done very quickly. Mick actually played rhythm guitar on that; Keith wasn’t even around when we did that. I don’t think Keith is on Moonlight Mile either.”

All Down The Line likes this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Wayne would have been an excellent replacement for Taylor in terms of tone and execution. Ronnie was as good as it got with respect to image (and he did play quite well on the 1975 tour), but in the long run, it is questionable how much Wood really brought to the table -- he didn't exactly elevate the band.

23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

If Gram Parsons was alive, he would have replaced MT.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I always thought Mick Ronson would have been a good choice but we would have been without his great work on Ian Hunter's solo albums. He also seemed willing to let David Bowie have the spotlight which would have helped when dealing with Jagger and Richards.

btltez likes this.
  25. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's what I want to know as well! It always seems that KR had a love hate relationship with MT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.