When Did Paul Become "Macca"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sternodox, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Yep, that too.

2. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

Just noticed this thread.

This comes from page 9 of the free magazine "The Paul McCartney World Tour" that was given out during his 1990 tour. I think it is published by the same people who do "Q" magazine, it has the same dimensions and paper stock.

[​IMG]

nikh33 likes this.
  3. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Quite. Just about every word and name gets abbreviated in Liverpool. Lad is La. Definitely is Deffo. Sorry is Soz. Thank You is Ta. Cigarette is Ciggie. Croxteth is Crocky. Tracksuit bottoms are trackies. Off-Licence is Offie. Hospital is hossie. And McCartney/McCarthy/McCann/McGann/etc is Macca.

AJK74 likes this.
  4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

Certain Brits (including certain Cockneys) pronounce "th" sounds as "f" or "v," turning "Keith" into "Keef" or "brother" into "bruvver." It's called th-fronting.

5. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

Just saw a trailer for eight days a week that included a clip of John calling Paul "Macca". It was 1963 or 1964.

6. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I started calling him Macca as opposed to Sir Paul. A reaction against his acceptance by the gentry.

7. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I hereby dub thee Potty. Hey, Potty! Where have you gone, Potty? (Geddit?)

8. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I don't call him Macca or Sir Paul. I refer to him as something more iconic. Paul McCartney.

Terry Shute likes this.
  9. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I basically agree it ain't great... but even I have used it now, and then.
    Probably simply due to it's constant overuse. I usually say Paul or McCartney.
    I think it started somewhere after the 1976 "Wings Over America" / "Wings Over The World" tour.
    That was a superb show , we drove to Atlanta first time I saw a Beatle! Memorable trip for a 21 y.o.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.