When (if?) Bob Dylan retires ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NaturalD, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Frank Sinatra retired from touring at 79, if I remember correctly.

2. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

He can work as a barista at his nice coffee shop in Santa Monica

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think he will never retire. Some day he'll cancel a string of concert dates for health reasons, go into a hospital and never come out. Not to worry though, it could be 10 - 15 years from now. But he won't just up and say, "I'm done with music now."

4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I wouldn’t be surprised if he dies on tour. Since he and Sara left Woodstock, he has never really had a home. Touring and music are what he lives for, I agree.

Mickey2 and JoeF. like this.
  5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Anything he does at this point is a bonus. He doesn’t owe us anything, and I like the songbook albums.

Jimmy B., highway, Sean and 5 others like this.
  6. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Well put!

7. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

When Dylan retires (or dies) I hope the last album in his legacy is a solid album of new original compositions, which is regarded as one of his better albums (through performance and/or originality).

I really hope his legacy doesn't finish with the sequence of cover albums (which, despite being a massive Dylan fan, I've never warmed to).

8. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

Saw him about 15 years ago in London and it was SO UTTERLY DIRE that he died for me that night. I don't think I've seriously listened to a Dylan album since.

Bob who?

9. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

I hope he's not retired. After 10 years of saying I don't want to see him live doing cover songs, I decided a month ago that I will buy tickets straight away when he's next touring in my area. I looked and there were no shows announced. I hope I've not left it too late.

10. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

I read there were rumours of a autumn US tour, so we’ll see.

If he has retired I hope it’s of his own volition rather than health enforced. But you know, he’s pushing 80.

That’s the same age as my dad and I sure as hell couldn’t see my dad having the energy to do a huge tour (I’m also glossing over the fact I couldn’t see anyone buying tickets for my dad’s tour).

I would like a new album of originals but I’m just glad his last such studio album wasn’t the (relativity) weak Together Through Life.

11. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

obviously, you may not understand the way the man works. he's always been full of surprises. far be it from anyone to predict him. it is interesting to ponder, though, about the non-touring. without checking, anyone here know when the last time he took time off for this long? (however long it is?).

NaturalD likes this.
  12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’ve seen dire Dylan shows, great Dylan shows, and in-between Dylan shows. Glad I didn’t write him off after the first dire show I saw. There’s no excuse for some of the drunk tours of the 80s, but that the latter-day Bob Dylan Show isn’t tightly scripted and predictable like most other rock tours is part of the appeal, imho.

stewedandkeefed and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If he does give us one more studio album, great. But we’re already so far into extra time, as they’d say in British football, that anything noir he does give us is a bonus. I have a shelf full of Bob Dylan CDs that I won’t come close to tiring of any time soon.

14. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

As far as I'm concerned guys like McCartney, Dylan and The Stones can go ahead as long as they want...they were considered has-beens and old farts in the late '70s/early '80s and 30-40 years later they're still around, playing for huge crowds and making the odd fine album...

15. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Yes, there’s the classics but I have a shelf full of Dylan CD’s I’ll never play again - Knocked out Loaded, DITG, UTRS, D&tD, Together Through Life and Tempest. Bob usually has Fall dates booked in by now. You never know what he’ll do though. I saw him at Hyde Park - it’s over for me though.

16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My enthusiasm for Bob has never included Dylan and the Dead. :)

17. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Just think about what you are saying. He has been under contract for 57 years with Columbia and has probably given us 10-15 “legacy” albums already. On top of all that he constantly toured letting his fans see him on stage for literally decades. Give the man a break.

Yeah he went to Electra Asylum for about 10 minutes once lol.

18. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

You guys know he doesn’t make the whiskey himself don’t you

peace and love✌Dave

19. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Twitter

According to musician Rob Stoner, Dylan is cutting back from relentless touring.

20. BornBeforeTheWind

BornBeforeTheWind Forum Resident

Maybe he can get his job back on that fishing boat right outside of Delacroix.

21. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Not really a sign of anything. He just finished a UK tour just recently. Go back in a month or so and you'll see more dates posted.

22. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I bet he's busy finishing up another Christmas album so that he'll have more material to choose from for his upcoming Christmas concerts. :)

23. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Bob does what Bob wants. If he wants to plug in a Stratocaster, let him. If he wants to tour till his dying day, let him - but, if he doesn’t, then that’s alright, ma. He’s only relaxing.

24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Irish goodbye for sure

Maybe patti smith can go on the road and call it the bob dylan farewell tour

25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I think it’s probably the constant touring that keeps him alive.

I don’t think he’ll retire. He’ll die on the road.

Mickey2, Lemon Curry and The MEZ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.