When record "cleaning" solutions go bad...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joel Cairo, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

I have no idea what in this world someone used on one of the LPs that I got from an eBay seller in the UK recently, but whatever it was left a hissy residue and a "varnished" look to the vinyl.

I've tried one session with the Disc Doctor fluid and the brushes, but it's still there... anyone got any suggestions what it might've been, and more importantly, how to remove it?

Thanks for any assistance, folks...

-Kevin

2. audio

audio New Member

In the words of Brian at the Analog Room: "Try some lighter fluid; it works. But don't tell anyone in the industry that I told you to do that."

3. Mike V

Mike V New Member

If the record is polystyrene, you're in bad luck, IMO. Otherwise, I have tried these steps with much success on some horribly dirty records, even with PVC sleeve damage.

Anhydrous isopropyl alcohol on a VERY soft highly absorbent cotton cloth with a light nap to it, rubbing gently with the grooves. Anhydrous is found in electronic supply shops, and probably chemical supply houses. In spite of all the hype, this does not damage records or leach plasticizers - unless you like to leave your records soaking in it for a spell.

That might do it, then follow up with the Disc Doctor treatment. If that doesn't work:

Then Vertrel (pure), which is a new-age CFC/HCFC replacement. That or GC Electronics "Component Wash" which is pure HCFC. The Vertrel is being marketed to vinyl lovers as a cleaner (Music Direct sells a very expensive version of it), and it is perfectly safe. I do not recommend applying it as some suggest (spraying direct onto vinyl). Rather, as above, use a cotton cloth (a different one that you will likely have to discard after this) and apply a lot of the Vertrel (it evaporates quickly). Very carefully clean every last surface of the LP, 2 times at most should do it.

The discs should then be as clean as they'll ever get (with a heavy static charge), but I would recommend then following up with your normal cleaning procedure.

Good luck!

4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, guys... I'll give these a shot!!

-Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.