When the label won't release the CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dillydipper, Sep 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Interesting but I doubt that data would translate well to independent labels and small bands. The Beatles have a fan base (myself included) that's purchased basically the same stuff over and over in different formats.

Dansk, ARK, Big Blue and 2 others like this.
  2. Multiple Offenses

Multiple Offenses Innocent Bystander

I do sell on Discogs, and that's precisely what tells me that it's not entirely reliable.

I've listed records that have a supposedly high "want" number, yet they don't move despite being in great condition and reasonably priced.

I've listed records that show very low "have/want" numbers, and they've sold within an hour or two.

No one has any idea if those "wants" are actually being tracked, or if they're of the "Yeah, I kinda maybe want this" variety -- it's easy to click an icon and then move on to the next shiny object. Also, how many of those accounts are still active and/or routinely going through and cleaning up their lists?

And then the obvious: not everyone who collects/buys music is on Discogs. You might look at Double Crown's releases on there and see low numbers, but that doesn't mean they're not moving quickly elsewhere. I've seen labels with rather low "have/want" numbers on Discogs that nevertheless sell out of their inventory, especially if their pressing numbers are low.

On that note, one thing I find amusing: a release on Discogs shows a pressing of, say, 100 -- yet somehow 120 people have it.

Don't get me wrong; the "have/want" deal can somewhat give you an idea of interest in a release, but it's far from very reliable in my experience.

NettleBed, Runicen, Ludger and 4 others like this.
  3. 22 ziggies

22 ziggies Forum Resident

Thx, much appreciated. But frankly speakin' this was actually not what interested me. Someone stated a run of about 300 cds for 1100 bucks will pay for itself if about 90 are sold. So we may assume they are sold for approx 12 bucks a piece. Someone else stated this would mean an approx profit of about 2.5 k if the whole lot was sold which I guess we can all agree on the math until here. You stated that a release on bandcamp would be far more profitable and I am honestly interested in the math behind it. Please don't get me wrong this isn't any kinda gotcha and rest assured that absolutely no offense is intended.
    I just would like to know more about the math. Like what is sold on bandcamp, are those downloads? If yes what format? What does a download cost? Is it vinyl, if yes what is their weight and what is charged for one LP? Assuming it is CDs wouldn't they follow the same math as mentioned above?

Runicen and head_unit like this.
  4. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Wrong. I have it on good authority that Satan is very much a cd guy, especially for the artists whose souls he’s bought.

Runicen and Big Blue like this.
  5. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

The same right as any consumer?

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Really? I would have thought 'Ol Sparky was behind the vinyl revival, dragging the unwary into a morass of direct vs belt drive, the merits of various and ever more expensive cartridges, the storage space problem, wow-and-flutter, snap-crackle-pop, argumentation over the best cleaning methods, warped and off-center pressings (at a high price no less!), sand-filled and other bases...oh what a crafty one is Beelzebub! :D

Runicen, Alan57 and ARK like this.
  7. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Ask yourself, what advantage other than being a collector does cassette have anymore now that we can have digital formats outperform it?

8. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

that format was terrible

9. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

@GimiSomeTruth, you want some truth? You’re reaching at this point.

10. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

You’re in the wrong thread, son

11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Define “back in the day”? Just In Time inventory was a huge thing in Japan by the early 1990’s if not sooner.

12. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Haven’t lp’s surpassed CD’s in units sold at this point?

Big Blue likes this.
  13. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

The labels seem to see CDs as the format of technological dead-enders, as vinyl was perceived in the late '80s and early '90s, while vinyl is a symbol of music fanaticism among people ranging from young hipsters to high-disposable income boomers.

I've not seen reliable data on whether this perception of CDs is accurate. But I have seen market research that finds vinyl buyers are more likely to subscribe to a streaming service, not less, more likely to follow a band on social media, and obviously the vinyl price point is higher. So that might all contribute to record buyers being seen as a money pit compared to those who still prefer CDs.

Whether that means the industry is correct to skimp on CDs is less clear. And they do still do well for box sets and deluxe editions. But the labels genuinely don't seem to have a great sense of how standard physical media releases are going to sell now that it is a niche phenomenon and have not always guessed correctly.

Runicen likes this.
  14. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

In his defense, I don’t think he said that.

22 ziggies likes this.
  15. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Dual Discs were a fail for a number of reasons, most notably that they were thicker than both CD’s and dvd’s. They didn’t fit into a lot of CD players. They wouldn’t rip in a lot of CD burners. They were essentially a cd and a Dave glued together. Thinner than that but you get the idea. Essentially, they were the worst of all worlds. Ultimately it made more sense for companies to just sell CD’s and dvd’s separately in the same case.

16. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

well that’s your problem right there. You need to sell WHOLE CD’s not halves.

Howard Bleach and Big Blue like this.
  17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Has Spotify even turned an annual profit yet? For many years, it hadn’t but I’ve lost track of how long ago I heard that so I could be way off.

Sure, Apple Music has been around for 30 years, but not as a streaming service I don’t think. Of course, I agree with your main point; they ain’t going anywhere anytime soon, and if/when they do, it will be likely be by their choice, as the business/technology morphs again.

Runicen likes this.
  18. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Any particular reason why you prefer cassettes over CD’s?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  19. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

What percentage of all units do you think are posted on Discogs?

Big Blue likes this.
  20. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

These costs would be the same no matter what the format is though. And if CD’s are just part of the portfolio than the costs are shared with the other formats.

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Graphics need to be made CD-sized, possibly including alternate booklet layout, jewel case spine as opposed to LP spine, etc. Probably minor, but it may take enough time to not be worth the tiny amount of revenue from CD sales.

GimiSomeTruth and ARK like this.
  22. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

You answered your own question. Thanks?

GimiSomeTruth likes this.
  23. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I think a release not being on CD is the exception rather than the rule. But I can only think of one time, Lourdes new album, wasn’t on CD. So I waited and got a used vinyl.

Steaming is the most common. And lots of back catalogue on Bandcamp is available just for download. But with new releases CDs still seem to be available for my appetite in music.

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

My memories of buying Vinyl in the 1970's was that you could go store to store and almost always be able to find core catalog from a full range of artists. I worked in a record store for a while, and it was understood that chart music - which didn't have a long shelf life - were the heart of the business. Jazz, for example, sold slowly, however, over say a year or 18 months, it was worth doing. Jazz albums don't age, pop music does. We held a large stock of titles because the range is what pulled people in to the store.

Just in Time, as a concept, was of course a thing - but it didn't apply to music in the way it does today.

blivet likes this.
  25. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

No, they aren’t. Mastering is completely different for CD than vinyl (when done properly), and as @bigblue pointed out, the graphic design is not the same for a CD or LP. They have to be formatted to different templates.

Shawn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.