Where to put the....beer fridge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Swisstrips, Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swisstrips

Swisstrips Forum Resident Thread Starter

So not really a typical question, but it relates to power and its impact on my 2chnl rig.

My HT is separate from my dedicated 2chnl space in basement, but is adjacent. However, I have one of those smallish refreshment fridges in my HT space and every time the compressor or whatever it is turns on, my TV picture either flickers or goes completely out - like blacks out for about 20 seconds then comes back on.
    1. What's causing this and what do I do to resolve the TV blackout (iso transformer)? The TV is not in the same receptacle as fridge. All the HT components are on a decent power strip on a different receptacle than the fridge.

2. I'm all about 2chnl and that's my passion so my main "concern" is what, if any, ill effects the fridge is having on my 2chnl? I haven't noticed any when listening and I suppose its no different than the fridge in the kitchen upstairs, but just looking for any advice.

3. If its best to move the fridge to say the laundry room, that's where my network rack and server are located to feed the 2chnl room (running fiber to listening room) and so what problems will that inflict on those network components.
    Would a Isolation transformer for just the fridge help so that I could keep it in the HT area?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    bluesky likes this.
  2. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

action pact likes this.
  3. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Your powerstrip maybe seeing the fridge startup as a surge??Don't move it too far though...precious contents:)an extension cord makes for a quick experiment.

4. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

This sounds like the fridge is causing a voltage drop. I suggest you contact your utility to find out what the voltage is coming in. It sounds like it may be at the bottom of spec so when a motor starts up, with its high initial load, the voltage drops below what the TV can handle.

When I had problems like that (several of my UPSs in my server room were tripping multiple times a day), my utility put a recorder on the line and discovered, in the end, that there was some faulty equipment in the substation. Once they fixed that, the problem went away.

KT88 likes this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

I believe an electrician should be able to install a capacitor for this kick-on draw. Not sure what the code requires for indoor installations but pretty sure that's the fix.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Since you don't seem to be having trouble with anything else, I'd have an electrician check the fridge electrical installation. It should be grounded and be on a circuit where it can draw current without sharing with your theater. I had a small fridge by my couch in my listening room years ago and I never had any sort of trouble with interference.
    -Bill

7. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

You could get a power conditioner (one with voltage regulation) for your hi fi components, but it will be costly.

Maybe enlist an electrician to put your power outlets to your hifi and HT onto a seperate circuit?

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That should be part of the fridge itself. It could be bad. But yeah, he needs to have the fridge and its power connections checked out.
    -Bill

9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Power conditioning is not the cure for instantaneous voltage drops in most cases. It sounds like you might have a wiring issue inside of your house, and that when the fridge kicks on it is drawing too much current from the circuit. The solution is to have you fridge running on a separate circuit from your HT setup.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yup, separate circuit is certainly the best option.

11. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Someone must have hacked your OP photo because what's showing now is a teensy weensy mini (mini) bar cooler and not a beer fridge!

Where's its Mom?!

:)

Jeff

SandAndGlass and Big Blue like this.
  12. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’ve spotted your problem: there’s Bud Light in that fridge!!

Jerjo, TarnishedEars, gd0 and 5 others like this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

...and Schlitz? :sigh:

TarnishedEars likes this.
  14. lonelysea

I think that’s Shiner Light Blonde?
    Looks like we might need a good beer intervention.

15. jeffmackwood

I think you're to add the Sprite to it to give it some flavor.

:)

Jeff

SandAndGlass, Big Blue and lonelysea like this.
  16. lonelysea

Apologies to the OP. Comes here for advice and has to endure our beverage critiques!
    I don’t have much to offer. I don’t think a mini fridge should produce the results mentioned. A vacuum cleaner or mixer, maybe. At least the 2-channel system is on a dedicated circuit which *should* prevent any intrusion. I say call in a sparky and have them check those circuits. A good one will know what to look for.
    Good luck!

Helom and Big Blue like this.
  17. Swisstrips

Swisstrips Forum Resident Thread Starter

lol, I was only expecting 1 or 2 responses, so thanks for the info. The odd thing is that this is new'ish behavior (sorry should have mentioned that). When I purchased the fridge I thought nothing of it and over time noticed the TV behavior.

FWIW The pic is a stock photo :)

lonelysea and Helom like this.
  18. ltusler

ltusler Forum Resident

I put mine on a timer so it doesn't run when I am using the system.

Big Blue likes this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

That is a relief! Beer selection aside, I was concerned that your beer fridge was 2/3 taken up by fully stocked and faced Pepsi and Sprite.

20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I had just assumed that there was a 1.75L of Jim Beam Black in the cabinet next to it...
    -Bill

Big Blue likes this.
  21. jeffmackwood

I keep mine next to all the other paint thinners and strippers in my shop.

:D

Jeff

Big Blue likes this.
  22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Any shop with Jim Beam Black and strippers is isn't gonna make Jack a dull boy...
    -Bill

McLover and jeffmackwood like this.
  23. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Uh huh... A likely story.... :winkgrin:

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

in the most convenient place where you can find the space!

25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Maker’s Mark guy here, but my concern was really more with the picture-perfect facing of the cans. That’s borderline serial killer behavior...

Glmoneydawg and powerq like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.