Where to upgrade first?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Detroiter in the South, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detroiter in the South

Detroiter in the South Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please take a look at my profile and let me know, with your valued opinions, what component to upgrade next? I’m pretty happy with my sound now, but I know it can get better!

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Speakers

3. Christophe999s

Christophe999s Forum Resident

+1
    Do you have a budget?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

Speakers!!!

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Another vote for SPEAKERS but you need to toss out some kind of budget, and whether you need true bookshelf, or putting on stands, or could fit towers.

6. Detroiter in the South

Pretty unanimous so far! I’m thinking I could put in $500-$800 if you think that would get me a good pair. I guess towers, as shelf speakers seem too small for big sound- or am I wrong?

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You could always go for monitor-sized speakers with a sub if you want big sound without having huge loudspeakers.

8. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

I'm going to give a contrary opinion and suggest improving your source first. Speaker do limit how much of the music you can hear, but better source components pull more of the music out of your records or digital files. For a $500-800 budget, I might consider getting something like a used Rega Planar 3. For a digital source, listening via a Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC connected to either an iPhone or Android phone streaming via Qobuz sounds surprisingly good. Dragonfly Red DACs are going for about $200 new & $135 used on eBay. Adding an Audioquest Jitterbug to reduce electrical noise can make the Dragonfly sound even better. The Jitterbug runs about $60 new and $25-45 used on eBay.

One problem with upgrading speakers too much without having better music quality coming from a source is that the speakers may be too revealing of shortcomings in quality of your music reproduction. Improving the source components first provides you with an upgrade path to improve your amplifier and speakers and hear more of your music with every upgrade.

For amplifiers, used British integrated amps from 15 years ago are quite affordable and sound great. Brands to consider would be Creek (specific models would be 4140, 4330, 4330 SE, Evolution 50), Naim, Musical Fidelity. You should be able to get something quite good sounding for between $100-500 used.

To get the most out of a pair of bookshelf (or more accurately, stand-mount) speakers, consider getting metal speaker stands that tightly couple the speaker to the stand with spikes on the top plate and spikes that connect to the floor. The result is increased precision from a pair of stand mounted speakers. The larger size of floor mounted speakers may seem better for sound quality than stand mounts, but larger size also requires more sonic compromises especially when designing to a price point. I've found that it's easier to make a "bookshelf" or stand-mount speaker that sounds good under a $2000 price point than it is to make a good floor standing speaker at that price range.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  9. clrvlewis

clrvlewis Forum Resident

I agree with all post. I think you should come up with a upgrade plan. Your speakers and source need to be upgraded. If it were me I would save up $1,000 and upgrade speakers. Then start a saving plan for your source as soon as you can.

10. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Without a budget it is all but impossible to give a suggestion... But, for your music tastes (reggie, funk, hiphop) powerful and clean bass is very important. SO I'll go against the grain and my usual "source first" line of thinking and propose to by a reasonably good sub from the likes of SVS, Rythmik, etc.

11. Detroiter in the South

My major concern is playing LPs. CDs second, and streaming third. (maybe scad, blue ray and whatever high-quality digital comes next someday.)

12. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Get a pair of speakers you can trust.

I run ATCs. First speakers where I know if something sounds odd, it's up the signal chain somewhere and not the speakers.

I will only ever willingly change them for bigger ATCs now.

Good speakers you can build a system around. Good source you are always wondering.

13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Your amp is not bad, but likely has older op-amps that do not afford better sound. The speakers only state JVC bookshelf and likely lower-end items. So, I would replace the speakers first, then the amp. No budget posted, thus I cannot recommend an upgrade.

14. Detroiter in the South

I could probably go $500-$800 for speakers if you think that range could get me a good pair...

15. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Budget and what are you looking to achieve?:)

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Dunno what specific speakers you have but if they are harvested from a shelf/rack system it shouldn't be too hard to do a lot better.

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

From your profile and the music genres you listen to (with mostly a lot of bottom end) I'd go floorstanders if your room can accomodate them, and/or a sub. For floorstanders, I strongly suggest Klipsch.

18. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I say just get yourself a Yamaha A-S501 amplifier and a pair of Elac Uni-Fi bookshelf speakers. I say this because I have that combo of amp and speaker and I love the sound. From there you can then upgrade your source. The amp and speakers would run you about $800

***Prices have gone way up on the Elac speakers and the A-S501 seems to be out of stock just about everywhere. Elac debut B2 would be an inexpensive upgrade and find a Yamaha amp. I have found Yamaha makes great quality on the inexpensive side.***

19. Detroiter in the South

What do you all think of the klipsch r820f? Could my current amp drive them? Would they be a good speaker as I move forward?

timind likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Lovely speakers.

Absolutely.

Totally.

timind likes this.
  21. Detroiter in the South

And when the klipsch says price for each, one must order two?

timind likes this.
  22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

can you tell us more about your speakers? model no., cabinet dimensions, woofer diameter?

23. Detroiter in the South

I think they are junky ones from a component system, but have gotten me started pretty well. 15”h x 7”w x 9”d. 5” woofer, 2” mid, tiny tweeter. Model sp-c55bk.

24. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Speakers first, then outboard phono stage, then phono cartridge. No need to spend a lot - AT-VM95ML is good for $169. For phono stage - state your budget.

25. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

They are definitely junky.

Do you have shops around where you might be able to audition? Have a look at these reviews, I would consider in your price range the ELAC Debut or the Triangle but it is hard there are so many choices. It shouldn't be hard to improve the sound of those JVC.

Best bookshelf speakers 2020: budget to premium | What Hi-Fi?

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.