Which Artist/Band’s Fans Are Such A Turn Off They Affect Your Appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, Aug 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

You do.

2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

'Which Artist/Band’s Fans Are Such A Turn Off They Affect Your Appreciation?'

Ow! I'm not even going to answer that.

It's up to us to choose what we listen to through our own mind-ears, not through the subculture that surrounds the artist. As an example, to that end, ten years ago I approached a band who I have avoided for my whole life and found at least one album whose songs and skills, production and ideas I could appreciate for what they were and get enjoyment from. Conversely, the music of another core band who could fit into the same putative category (as described in the thread), has repeatedly failed to interest me, mind or soul. So, it's up to the listener to remain impartial.

Avoid the fans, not the music.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  3. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

What’s the difference between a provocateur and a troll?

4. John Shaft

John Shaft One Bad Motha....

I don't either.

5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I think he's an outstanding singer, songwriter and musician. His earlier albums are fun but from Living In Oz onwards, his records are uniformly excellent and surprisingly varied in style and tone. Far different from the teeny bopper you might expect.

John Shaft and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm not aware of hearing anything by him at all. There might be one or two songs I don't know are by him I've heard.

carlwm likes this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

And cheap!
    Personally I don't think their albums are essential but he has a handful of great songs

carlwm likes this.
  8. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Bruce/Dylan/Dead and to a lesser extent: McCartney (solo of course).

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Just edited my post when I read further & realized you were oblivious to his music. :) He only had one top thirty UK hit, Human Touch, which got to #23 back in 1983.

I think his image - actor/pretty boy- and the fact he had an ear for a pop melody put many rock fans off checking out his work. He's made some really fine music even into the new millennium but the more recent ones haven't exactly set the world alight sales-wise, sadly, as brilliant as they've been.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Being a pretty boy is almost always the kiss of death for rock credibility or longevity. I'm sure he won't have cared at all!

carlwm likes this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well, that's two of my mid-life crises covered! :)

Hiraeth likes this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, have you heard any of Rick Springfield's recent albums? Might be worth giving one or two of them a listen. They sometimes move a long way from the music he's famous for.

13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

No. I remember that album with a dog in the cover, mostly

carlwm likes this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That'll be either Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet or Working Class Dog. Both good albums but neither would make my RS top ten.

15. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

I won’t ask which two! I’ll just guess golf and learning the uke, and leave it at that!

carlwm likes this.
  16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Sadly, you're correct. I could not be any more of a middle-aged cliche. :D

17. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Hard-core U2 fans are the absolute worst. No fanbase even comes close. They won't stop flaming/gaslighting you in threads, no matter how much you let them know or even try to convince them that their post-late '90s material sucks donkey balls and is generic as generic music gets...:crazy:

18. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

This doesn't answer your question whatsoever, but I love Bruce Springsteen.

I have, however, experienced that Springsteen "fans" are very often d*ckheads.

They seem to hate everything he releases these days and hate all live shows from the last 12 years (but still go to 15 of them per tour because, y'know, they've seen him 48 times, how bout you? Oh 49? Well I meant 52, sorry. What, you haven't seen him in New Jersey 3 times, just twice? Oh then you're not a real fan).

Beyond some members of my family, I have never met a Bruce fan that I liked.

It doesn't put me off Bruce one bit, though. I hope he releases many more albums and tours many more times... And I'll enjoy every bit of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.