Which Rock lp from the 60's or 70's still sounds ahead of it's time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Feb 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

Which rock lp from the 1960's or 1970's still sounds ahead of it's time even today in 2002.i think that parts of but not all of Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland especially side c on the viny version with 1983 still sounds far ahead of it's time even today-always amazed when i play it-great bass solo by Hendrix on 1983.What other releases do you think still sound ahead of it's time today.

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I like Television's "Marquee Moon" a lot. That one came up recently on the boards (apparently their re-forming to do some festival shows in LA). Well ahead of it's time IMHO.

I also like Dire Strait's "Communique", which some say was a rushed effort following their debut. Nonsense. It wasn't earthshattering at all really, but it is unlike almost everything else coming out at that time. But don't buy the CD. Find some original vinyl for cheaps. It's great stuff.

Then there's "Revolver". And "Freak Out". And "The Velvet Underground and Nico". I could do this all night!!! :D :D

3. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Van Halen

It's been 24 years now, and it's still the best. Everything the "I'm a sensitive guy" hair metal of the 80's would never live up to along with the "I'm a miserable whiner and wish I knew how to play my instrument" 90's not even-rock failed to be as well. In my very humble opinion of course...

Best - ED

P.S. Thanks to Steve for making this sound SO good ! (Gratitude NOT Worship !):D

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

"Born To Run"-Bruce Springsteen. 1975

Sounds like it was recorded in the 80s.

5. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Both With The Beatles and The Beatles (white album) still sound timeless to me.

6. I'm partial to any number of Ray Charles singles, "Hit The Road Jack" does not sound a day older than yesterday.

Any of the four Velvets lp's or the two VU / Another View sound modern.

That 2nd Elvis Costello lp is amazing. Question Mark & The Mysterions melded with The Kinks was how I've heard it described.

Feelies: Crazy Rhythms

Damned Damned Damned

Fabulous Poodles: Mirror Star

first 2Smithereens lp's, all 4 Godfathers lp's (mid eighties there).

Dream Syndicate: Days of Wine & Roses ('82)

All 3 Bram Tchaikovsky lp's

soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange

anything by The Seeds

Love: Forever Changes

Richard Hell: Blank Generation

the most played lp in my car recently was The Cars: Candy-O.
    I think it is a step up from the first one.

George Harrison-Wonderwall Soundtrack (and of cousre the White Album)

Terry Riley- A Rainbow in Curved Air

Any Steve Reich

Tangerine Dream: Rubycon

all 4 original Brian Eno pop lp's, they are:
    Here Come The Warm Jets ('73)
    Taking Tiger Mountian ('74)
    Another Green World ('75)
    Before And After Science ('78)

These last 4 along with the 3 Bowie "Berlin" lp's may have been the most
    bizarre sounding on my list at their original release, but they seem
    well crafted and very contemporary today.

7. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

"clear spot" by captain beefheart & the magic band.

later, chris

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

My vote - The Sonics first lp's on Etiquette (Here Are and Boom) - grunge invented in 1965 in Tacoma, not the late 80's/early 90's in Seattle as folks have been led to believe. Throbbing bass, distorto guitars, skin smackin' supreme, wailin' Wurlitzer action, honkin' sax, braying lead singer beltin' out lyrics about Satan, chicks bein' witches, psychos, drinkin' strychnine - no wonder they sold about 100 copies in the good old days. Once you hear them you're hooked - now, if any of youse wise guys got stereo copies of these delectable discs, I'd KILL for some Cee-dee burns of them...

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Patsy Cline's recordings sound as fresh to me now as they would have sounded to me in the late 1950's-early 1960's.

Hank Williams, Jr. & Friends--This album is what created his current persona in 1975 and it doesn't sound dated at all. He could've recorded this album in the 1980's, 1990's or the present time and it would have sold millions of copies for WB/Curb.

Classical Gas by Mason Williams is one of the greatest instrumentals in any genre and the "Phonograph Record" album sounds ahead of its time including Classical Gas (it was a #2 hit in 1968, but it could still be a hit today if he would've just recorded it), plus it created Mike Post's sound as well as he produced it.

and many others

10. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

I suspect no one but me will agree, but...

The Fixx - Phantoms

still sounds 20 years ahead of it's time to me. Unlike most "new wave", the synths and guitar sounds they got are amazingly unique, as is the writing.

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

LOVE Forever Changes

BEACH BOYS Pet Sounds... not rock, but pop!!!

12. Matt

Matt New Member

The first Modern Lovers Lp. I just can't believe it wasn't released for so long (something like 5 or 8 years), and when it finally came out, it still sounded fresh. Even more amazing that it was really a collection of demos; they just scoured all their tapes and luckily came up with enough to fill a record.

I'm not a big fan of Richmann's subsequent work, but that album still kicks ass. Maybe the best college rock album ever.

13. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

How 'bout Trout Mask Replica? I thought The Spotlight Kid might mention some Beefheart.

14. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Sgt. Pepper.......of course......

15. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

true enough.

actually, anything by CB&TMB, but particularlly:

safe as milk
    trout mask
    spotlight kid
    shiny beast (bat chain puller)
    ice cream for crow

later, chris

16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Nazz - Nazz Nazz

Will we ever catch up with that one? :p

17. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

audio paradox?

Had Ten Years After done Days Of Future Passed would that have been ahead of it's time?:confused:

18. McIntosh

McIntosh Forum Resident

Re: audio paradox?

Now that's deep.........or is it timely........

19. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

How could I forget this! Nearly everything I've heard from The Police sounded way ahead its time. Still does - put on Ghost In The Machine: now *that's* timeless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.