Which song made you weep?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peerke, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Over the Rainbow --- Judy Garland (her original vocal in the "Wizard of Oz" very innocent sounding ... later versions she sang are a little overboard, IMO)

Moonlight Serenade (the original 1938 version by Glenn Miller and his Orchestra --- Willie Schwartz's clarinet solo gets me every time).

Beyond the Sea --- Bobby Darin --- this was my late friend's favorite B.D. tunes; too many memories reappear every time I hear it. :(

2. Vintage Season

Vintage Season Active Member

Gosh... only one, that I can think of: When Paul Simon played "Bridge Over Troubled Water" during the Concert for New York City, I broke down and cried for about an hour. Alison and I were watching it live, a few months before we were married. I'm not generally a very tearful person, so she still reminds me that it's the only time she's ever seen me cry.

- M.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

"Welcome Christmas" from How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the animated TV version). Gets me every year, especially the spoken-word verse at the very end.

"Welcome Christmas, bring good cheer
    Cheer to all Who's, far and near.
    Christmas Day's within our grasp
    so long as we have hands to clasp.
    Christmas Day will always be
    Just as long as we have we..."

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Believe it or not, "Free As A Bird". Why? Because even though the song and performance were not Classic Beatles, just hearing the four of them together again on one song(and we're talking the night the video was first broadcast here)was just overwhelming for this long time Beatles aficionado.

Evan

5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

The Randy Newman song Sarah McLaughlin sings in Toy Story 2 'When She Loved Me'.
    also Randy's own 'Marie'

6. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

"Painters" by Jewel.

Yep, I'm a big softie... :nauga:

7. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

mcow1 beat me to "Caroline, No."

"Oh, Caroline nooooo - cough - oooooooo- whimper - ooooooo."

8. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

I have a story about this one. I work at a school for learning-disabled children. I was at our annual fund raising dinner not long ago. My mom and dad came, too. During dinner, the school music teacher brought out a group of the kids to sing a couple of songs. The first was "Tonight" from West Side Story. During the song, my mother leaned over to me and said, "Thank God they didn't sing 'A Place For Us' -- I'd start crying!" Then they sang "A Place For Us" and we both choked up... those kids... somewhere there's a place for them... excuse me...

9. RZangpo2

That one doesn't make me cry, but it can raise the hairs on the back of my neck. I should list it in the "Songs That Give You Chills" thread, but probably someone already has.

10. RZangpo2

Janis Ian, "Society's Child" used to be able to do it to me when I was in college, but I haven't listened to it lately.

11. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

That's a pretty moving song to begin with, but when my dad died back in January I quoted a few lines from it in my eulogy, and now I become a puddle of tears whenever I hear the darn thing...

"Fairy Tale of New York" was a good suggestion. Part of what I love about the song is the way it moves from cheery (the chorus) and funny (the name-calling bit) to deeply moving (the final verse about keeping her dreams)...and back to the uplifting chorus

Here are a few others that don't really make me cry (I am a rock...I am an island :)) but that at least stir up a hefty serving of sadness for me are:

Lucinda Williams: Side of the Road
    Amy Rigby: Time for Me to Come Down
    John Prine: Hello in There
    Gram Parsons: $1000 Wedding
    Squeeze: Up The Junction
    Richard (& Linda) Thompson: Heart Needs a Home, How Will I Ever Be Simple Again?

12. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Completely agree :thumbsup:

13. S. F. Mercurius

S. F. Mercurius New Member

anything by Kenny G

:cry:

14. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Gotta agree with David on this one. It gets me 9 times out of 10.

Another one that usually gets me is Tori's cover of Waits' "Time". The third verse just slays me. Interestingly, while I enjoy Tom's version, it doesn't move me the same way.

15. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle

King Of Trees -- Cat Stevens
    Beautiful Boy -- John Lennon

16. jgrig0

jgrig0 Active Member

Surfin' Bird by The Trashmen

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

18. RZangpo2

Yes, I'm usually reduced to a puddle of tears by the time the bass singer comes in with the final "pa-pa-pa-pa pa-pa-pa-pa... mau mau, pa-pa... mau m-mau". The way he effortlessly (there's that word again!) evokes the absurdity of life, but with a hint of hope for ultimate redemption... sublime. :D

19. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

How Will I Ever Be Simple Again? - Richard Thompson (from the Daring Adventures album).
    ----- Chris

20. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

This song by anyone makes me well up. :(

21. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

I cannot believe nobody has mentioned two songs:

Love Reign O'er Me by The Who

If I Saw You in Heaven by Eric Clapton

These two always get me. Good list so far tho!

22. jgrig0

jgrig0 Active Member

But seriously folks:

Two songs that really move me are

Wildflower by Skylark

I Can't Own Her and Rook by XTC

23. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

The line "please be here please" in the version of 'Cherokee Louise' on the Joni Mitchell Travelogue album gets me every time, as does the piano introduction to Randy Newman's 'Dixie Flyer'. The vocal harmony at the end of the first "rock rock roll Plymouth Rock roll over" on 'SMiLE' pretty much always does it too and…

'Piece of My Mind' by Everything But The Girl and
    'Wake Up in New York' by Craig Armstrong.

24. Chanty Stovall

Chanty Stovall Senior Member

Gee,
    that last song on side 2 of the Flying Burrito Brother's first album could turn a broker into a soaker.

25. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

While on the subject of the recently barred Mr. Islam.....

From "Tea":

Sad Lisa
    Father and Son

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.