Which Star Wars trilogy was better: Prequels or Sequels?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by twicks, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I love all the Star Wars movies. Some of you people really need to get a life.

2. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

I was 6 years old when I went with my father to see the original Star Wars film in 1977 (maybe 1978 in Australia) and have been a fan ever since. When the prequels were announced I was excited at the thought of another three Star Wars films, but never in my life have I been as disappointed as I was after watching the first episode. While they second and third episodes were improvements they were all terrible in comparison to the original three. I can say the same thing about the three sequels, but they were an improvement on the prequels. For a start they had a really likable lead character in Rey and there were no truly obnoxious characters like Jar Jar Binks. I thought the stories in the sequels were more interesting, although there were moments that felt overly familiar, the actions sequences weren't overly long and the dialogue wasn't as cringe-worthy. For me, the worst parts generally involved the original characters, Leia, Han and Luke, who I loved when I was a kid, but in these films they were over sentimentalised (is that a word?) and their scenes meandered a little, frustrating me and detracting from the quality of the films.

I would rate the films as follows:
    Episode 1 - 0 stars.
    Episode 2 - 1.5 stars
    Episode 3 - 2.5 stars
    Episode 4 - 5 stars
    Episode 5 - 5 stars
    Episode 6 - 4 stars
    Episode 7 - 3 stars
    Episode 8 - 3.5 stars
    Episode 9 - 3.5 stars

CoachD and rnranimal like this.
  3. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

In the early to mid 1980s George Lucas took a break from movies to raise his children: maybe he should have let J. J. Abrams do it.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Surprised nobody's told you "real fans aren't afraid to criticize things they supposedly love". Saw that zinger of an argument on Twitter recently.

5. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Absolutely not. JJ has the scripting and plotting abilities equal to my cat. He's very keen on putting out mysteries - and terrible at resolving them. One of the least capable storytellers on the planet.

Dyland, FACE OF BOE and Stratoblaster like this.
  6. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Wish JJ had gotten the chance to make the second movie in the ST and tell the whole story, but he's by far a better filmmaker than Lucas was when was he made the prequels. There's no contest for me that the sequels, despite their acknowledged flaws, are better made and better acted films than the prequel trilogy. They will hold up better over the long term.

greg_t likes this.
  7. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

make his movies or raise his children?

BZync, razerx, Wright and 2 others like this.
  8. Detroit Rock Citizen

Idiocy happens a lot when talking about Star Wars. If you only like the original trilogy; praise that and move on. When you pontificate about the others, you lose all credence. A good portion of the people in this thread have done that.

9. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

I read that as "Your lack of love, disturbs me..."

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I preferred the "Magical Mystery Tour" movie over any of those.... :shh:

:hide:

Dyland and David Campbell like this.
  11. Detroit Rock Citizen

It's an anomaly in the force.

12. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Prequels by a wide margin. The story is more unified and despite some awful dialogue and poor casting choices, I feel that Lucas' heart was in the right place. He was attempting to tell an original story about how this magical boy turned into someone so evil. And while most everyone agrees that Jake Lloyd, Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman were bad in these films, let us not forget the ones who made them work: Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid. I also enjoyed Liam Neeson and Sam Jackson although their screen times were fairly limited.

The sequels are just slimy movies made for slimy reasons. When Han Solo appears onscreen, I am not cheering for the return of an old hero. I feel I am being manipulated and that some clown in a suit is dangling a bone in front of me. Yes, they are technically better made than the prequels but I'm not sure what that even means when there are so many awful things about them.

The best things about the sequels as I've said all along are the performances and on screen chemistry between Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley. If we could somehow go back in time and recast them as Anakin/Padme and rewrite some of the dialogue and scenes, the prequel trilogy would have been amazing.

BZync, TrekkiELO, captouch and 4 others like this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I'm about at this level. The prequels are the equivalent of trying to turn the Silmarillion into a movie, while the sequels are like fan fiction.

14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I feel like the sequels have been simultaneously better and worse than the prequels. At least in the case of the former, you had George Lucas quixotically realizing his own vision, however weird and disappointing that turned out to be. In the case of the latter, you had predictable, cliched filled, recycled plotlined, modern Hollywood movies made by a corporate committee headed by a cut-rate Spielberg for episodes 7 and 9. At least Rian Johnson tried to do something interesting with episode 8, however weird and disappointing that turned out to be.

If all three prequels had been as good as the last ten minutes of Revenge of the Sith (excepting Vader’s NOOOOO, of course) they would have been great. Lucas should have let Irving Kerschner direct them all.

For the record, I haven’t seen episode 9 yet. I’ll wait until it’s on Disney Plus. I just don’t care enough to go see it.

BZync, FACE OF BOE and captouch like this.
  15. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Hal9000's Prequel Trilogy fanedits are actually quite good. And he even renamed the films too (I. Cloak of Deception / II. The Approaching Storm / III. Labyrinth of Evil).

Also watched a Force Awakens edit where they made film more compelling during the 3rd Act. On that planet where Maz Kanata's bar was, a Star Destroyer in orbit replaced the those blasts coming from Starkiller base. Instead, they pushed those blasts right from the moment Kylo Ren kills his father Han Solo. This change brings a more darker climax to the film which actually does work.

Oh, and regarding The Last Jedi. Leia Poppins got trimmed down significantly and the Canto Bight subplots got omitted. Even the Rose-block at Finn on Crait got rearranged cleverly in order to delete the forced love thing. Also, those caretakers on Ach-Too were removed altogether.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    fishcane likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Abrams was a teen back then.

Also, I don't understand why Abrams would be the one to raise Lucas's kids...

17. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

The sequels. Both are flawed at times, however when it comes down to it I find the sequels both more consistent and better acted overall.

I like some moments from especially Revenge of the Sith, but man those prequels had some incredibly cheesy dialogue lol

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Easy sequels.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  19. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

For me, the prequels are far, far better (with their warts and all, which are many). I'll never watch any of the sequels again and have only seen them in the theater; the prequels I throw on every once in a while....

I have to admit, that perfectly articulates how I feel (about a thousand times) whenever I'm watching anything directed by J. J. Abrams...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    TrekkiELO, captouch and twicks like this.
  20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

It’s a joke. Or a way to say that the prequels (directed by Mr. Lucas) are not as good as Episodes 7&9 (directed by Mr. Abrams).
    I’m sorry I said it really. I never meant it as a lousy anti-religious thing. If I said television should have raised Lucas’s kids I might have got away with it.

Neil Anderson likes this.
  21. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Neither.

The Prequels were wrong-headed, while the Sequels are third-rate agenda-driven fan-fiction.
    The Prequels are just pathetic, while the Sequels are pathetic and objectionable.

The originals rule.

Propinquity, Ghostworld and twicks like this.
  22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident Thread Starter

TrekkiELO likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

For me people who love ‘Rogue One’ just don’t want a “Star wars’ movie with the skywalker trappings. So be it, but I don’t consider Rogue One really a Star Wars movie. You can offshoot all you want, it’s just some weird variation of Star Wars sharing the same dumb names Wakko Mandoloarian, or whatever. And I thought that female lead actress of Rogue One had all the charm of some brat from Newsies.

Dyland, twicks and Keith V like this.
  24. You don’t like Rogue One as much As I do. I can live with that.

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah. We agree on most good stuff! Lol

Pete Puma likes this.