Which Star Wars trilogy was better: Prequels or Sequels?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by twicks, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Prequels are better in terms and story and originality. Sequels are better in regards of acting and usage of CGI and practical effects that makes the movies look more "real" and less of a video-game. But since the purpose of these movies is to tell a story and provide entertainment, the prequels get my vote since it provided those things better.

2. twicks

twicks Forum Resident Thread Starter

You nailed it, my man.

3. Thanks. As I stated, both trilogies suffer from either having too much George or no George at all. Neither had the proper balance of George's influence that the original trilogy had for them to be on equal parring. But since the prequels still had George involved and he knew where to take the story, they should always be better above the sequels which, while they look better and have better acting, feel disjointed, an after thought, and lack of a Skywalker focal character for a SKYWALKER SAGA also kills it.

Kind of ironic when one of the main themes of this series is BALANCE within the force and we come to learn that neither the Jedi nor Sith are perfect and basically lack elements of each other's qualities that together, could make something whole and charismatic. It's an angle The Last Jedi was heading into after Kylo kills Snoke, but then that gets tossed aside very quickly, which is a damn shame. I'd would have liked to see the trilogy end with Kylo and Ren teaming up to form a new form of space soldiers, known as Skywalkers. Not my idea, but one I came across and rather liked. We definitely need an "epilogue trilogy" to touch on this concept.

But getting to my point of this, the handling of the latter two trilogies lacked the very balance needed to bring them up to par. George and Disney should have realized this. George should have had other people helping him, and Disney shouldn't have went about doing this without George involved.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    twicks likes this.
  4. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Do I want a root canal or a punch in the nose? I'll take the root canal!

BZync and jbmcb like this.
  5. I added more to my last comment before you liked it. I was hoping I could sneak other points in quick enough, but I didn't. But I am done tweaking it.
    I'm curious, which do you find to be the root canal and which is the punch in the nose?

6. YardByrd

the root canal is the prequels... as bad as they are, at least anaesthetic will dull the pain... the sequels on the other hand are just a sharp shot to the nose, breaking the cartilage...

after the OT I'm a huge fan of Star Wars: Rebels... they bear repeated viewings... far superior to either the prequels, sequels or The Mandalorian...

7. Okay, thanks for clarifying. I am frankly sick of all the shows Disney made, even the animated shows. Like slow the hell down. Too much Star Wars to keep track off and how are they able to do all of this while making sure they're not conflicting with any continuity of any other canonical work? Like with all they have planned to do with these upcoming shows and films, some one would need to be going through it all to make sure everything is coherent and stable and given how many episodes of the shows there are as well as comics and novels, that's not an easy task.

Dyland and YardByrd like this.
  8. YardByrd

I agree... I'm a first gen fan, seeing the original in the summer of '77, but not really reengaging til the late '90s and even then it wasn't full throttle... only been watching Rebels cause I have a kid who loves 'em, but frankly I am burned out by the flood of Disney product and at this point can take it or leave it... even my kid seems to be a bit overwhelmed with all there is on offer...

9. I became and stopped a fan of Star Wars during the mid-2000s. Got into it with Attack of the Clones and then followed from there seeing Revenge of the Sith, then Phantom Menace. Afterwards, my mom got mingled with this boyfriend who was into it and he got me to see the original trilogy renting out DVDs from Blockbuster and watching a long ass documentary from 2004, the Empire of Dreams that aired in 2005 on A&E I think. Never really got into any books or comics. Then by 2008, I lost interest in it. Didn't care for The Clone Wars movie, and couldn't get into the show that followed. When Disney came through, I was of course gonna tune into the sequels since they were part of the saga films, but as far as their books, comics, TV shows, I did not care and still don't which seems like overload. No thanks. I managed to get into Rogue One because of how close it would tie into A New Hope, and remains by favorite movie out of them. But that was it as far as any films. Have no desire to see Solo and it looks "Meh" anyway. Given how poorly that movie was, I don't think we'll be seeing anthology movies for a while.

10. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I picked sequels. I really like Force Awakens. I like half of The Last Jedi, maybe; and Rise is sorta of a mess but sort of a fun K-Tel fan-service wrap up. The sequels have some great moments which tend to get lost amidst the cringe-worthy parts.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  11. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Correct answer!

CoachD likes this.
  12. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

I have no doubt that one day cultural historians will regard both the Star Wars Prequels and Sequels as important films that document the increasing crassness and cynicism of the entertainment industry.

YardByrd likes this.
  13. As I stated, they look nice when it comes to the background and acting, but other than that, the story is garbage and character motivations and returns just make no sense or happens just because the plot needs it to. If you're all about good acting and looks, then the sequels of course does wonders but if you actually care about story and development and originality, then the prequels are the king of kings here.

twicks likes this.
  14. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

The sequels have far better acting and directing.

Both have terrible storytelling, in quite different ways. Lucas probably had the best story to tell, but failed in execution. The sequels didn't seem to have a story arc for the directors to effectively follow.

The prequels finished stronger than they started, while the sequels started stronger than they finished.

Both failed to live up to their potential.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Sums up nicely for me. I've liked a lot about both trilogies, with maybe a percentage more forehead-slapping with the prequels.

Curveboy likes this.
  16. Emperor of Mount Victoria

Emperor of Mount Victoria Forum Resident

Christ what a depressing poll- never should have clicked.

the Jedi Council Forums did a similar poll, where the prequels (rightfully) won.

Can’t believe so many here are willing to indulge in the nostalgia and NOT SEE that the sequels ruin the story that George set out to tell, embrace a cynicism and nihilism that is contrary to the values the saga espoused and turned Han Luke and Leia into grotesque caricatures of themselves.

In case someone is willing to take off the nostalgia goggles, please see:

Dyland, YardByrd and twicks like this.
  17. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

just for you .... lol

wolfram likes this.
  18. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I'm sorry to tell you that it's actually because they are better and more well crafted movies and not just shallow tech demos designed to sell merchandise. This reason that you've put forward could not be more irrelevant to the sequels, when George sold everything to Disney he was passing the story on to the next generation of storytellers in order to see it live on. Not to have them slavishly cling to his "vision" whatever some "fan" may interpret it to be. If you have to be told how to enjoy a movie, the filmmaker has failed. Rick Worley is an interesting dude but his videos on Star Wars verge on insufferable.

19. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

You think the sequels are better and well crafted? I do hope not. Whether people like them or not, the prequels do execute Lucas' vision and are fairly brave narratively - who else would deliver a trilogy which sees the good guys toppled and the universe in the grip of a dictatorship at its finale?

The sequels are, as a whole, narratively incoherent nonsense written by cowards and idiots. It reminds me of those stories where each kid gets to write a sentence, and the whole thing ends up being about a time travelling warrior penguin princess who gets a pony made of grenades.

20. Emperor of Mount Victoria

Emperor of Mount Victoria Forum Resident

If you think that TFA, TLJ and TROS are well crafted films I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.

Dyland and YardByrd like this.
  21. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Oh look, I've upset the fanboys. Who would have expected that. I could probably respond to your comment on the prequels but after that sentence it would be a total waste of my time.

Oatsdad likes this.
  22. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Upset? If you like the sequels great. They are, narratively, a perfect example of how not to write a story. They had no overarching idea of the arc of the plot, and made it up as they went along. The narrative choices were extremely safe (hence, cowardly) and the way it was delivered - making it up as they went along with no idea how to end it - is an idiotic way to write a narrative. I've got no skin in this game, it's just a very very bad way to write any story.

Dyland and polchik like this.
  23. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

To write this shows you must have very little knowledge of filmmaking or even the behind the scenes of the Star Wars movies as strictly speaking they were all made up as they went along. Calling the filmmakers cowards is just a flat out absurd thing to do no matter what your opinion of the final product, I think it speaks to your character.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  24. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Announcing the big bad of the sequel trilogy in the last movie's opening crawl, without even hinting at it during the previous movies felt so sloppy. No build up, no tension. Just nostalgia bait. The resurrection of the Emperor could have been an interesting thread throughout the previous movies but they obviously had no idea he was gonna be back.

Dyland, BZync, FACE OF BOE and 2 others like this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

There are some valid points being made on both sides of the Prequel/Sequel sagas and their faults...

I think the Prequels suffered from bad storytelling; it seemed to be aimed at children and had some awful dialog and sketchy special effects.
    The battle scenes are near impossible to follow as there is no one object to focus on. And even good actors (Christensen, Portman, etc.) came off really, really badly as they didn't have good direction. Only seasoned pros McGregor and Lee came out of it with any sort of dignity.

The Sequels on the other hand, suffered from bad plotting. I think all three are well directed and nearly universally well acted, but there is clearly no thought given to who the big bad was until they got to the third movie.