Which Tube Integrated Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SMDEE, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

I would go tube-pre and ss-amp.
    You get a good slice of tube sound with way less hassle. And ss is not for playing loud but to get the dynamics right.

C10, Noel Patterson and Rick58 like this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm the one who started that thread, and the Muzishare continues to impress. The stock tubes are okay, but sounded kind of sterile to me. Upgrading to vintage USA preamp tubes and Gold Lion rectifier and power tubes made a huge improvement. I am completely pleased with its performance, and the built-in headphone amp is fantastic too.

Yes, there are risks associated with purchasing an overseas brand, although that can be somewhat mitigated by purchasing through Amazon. My guess is you would have to spend about 2-3x as much to get one made by a comparable name brand with dealer support, so I was willing to take that risk.

[​IMG]

DougRuss, SMDEE, adamos and 4 others like this.
  3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I bought a tube-output-stage modified CD player decades ago from Holland (it wasn't the 'Ah! Tjoeb' one, it was the other one, I forget!). AHA, it was the 'Heart CD5000' Marantz unit. No issues, sounded great, worked fine for several years. I ended up donating it to my church (I ran sound).

I would probably buy the Muzishare if I were in the market ...

action pact likes this.
  4. SMDEE

SMDEE Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Slight change of direction....

After reading all of the comments about the Special 40s not being a great match with most tube amplification, I will not try to pound a square peg into a round hole. I am going to buy a pair of Omega monitors, likely the Super Alnico Monitors, to pair with the tube amp. That seems like a much better match and will give me a completely different listening experience than what I have today. My budget is going to have to get adjusted as a result. I plan to spend up to $2,500 on an amp. I am going to scan the used markets for high value. Also, I am selling some gear that I rarely use to increase available funds. Thanks to all who responded. You likely saved me from disappointment

timind, james, russk and 2 others like this.
  5. SMDEE

UPDATE: I ordered the Omega Super Alnico monitors (awaiting delivery) and bought the Elekit Tu-8200R tube amp kit. I assembled the kit. Since I don’t have the Omega speakers yet, I connected the Elekit amp to the Special 40s but didn’t expect much. Wow, I was wrong! The little 8W/channel Elekit moves the Special 40s far better than i dreamed it could. I can’t imagine how much more authoritative it will be with the Omegas. This leads me to a broader question...

How can the little 8W Elekit amp with stock 6L6GCs sound nearly as loud and powerful as a 120W/channel solid-state amp? Is the Rotel that light in the pants or is it there some inherent difference between the way power gets delivered by valve and SS amplifiers? By the way, I know part of the perceived audible difference can be attributed to the richer, fuller, “tube sound” but I frequently hear low power tube amps in other systems that seem to defy their output power ratings. Why is that? Thanks.

6. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I'm guessing that it's because most times playback at normal levels only requires a few watts. It's when the volume gets up there or the dynamics of the music demand a surge in power that you will hear a difference, with the low watt tube amp running out of steam faster.

timind and Echoes Myron like this.
  7. 99Trey

99Trey Well-Known Member

It's the transformer design that's more important then the Watt measurement. The Elekit probably has a better power supply then the Rotel.
    Anyway, I'm a speaker first kinda guy, when you find a speaker you like stick with it and make adjustments elsewhere. I recommend doing what I did with my Dynaudio speakers, and that was to get both types of amps. I have a Simaudio W3 and a Willsenton R8. Its fun going back and forth between them, as they sound different and combined they were less then $2500 (the w3 was bought used). One way to get the best of both worlds is to have to the best of both worlds. Sometimes I'm in a SS mood, sometimes I go for the tubes. Its great having options and I like to experiment with the sound, makes it more of a hobby. The R8 offers even more adjustability since it has a triode/ultralinear switch and can use multiple tube types. Its also pretty easy to swap amp when you have banana plugs and an open rack or shelf, if your components are tucked away this might not be a good option.

jonwoody, SMDEE and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. matro5

matro5 Forum Resident

I have Dynaudio Focus 160s paired with a 12w El84 amp and it's easily the best I've ever heard them sound.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  9. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

@SMDEE : This is an after-the-event post but it may or may not help. I had a Rotel RA-1572 which, initially, I was very pleased with. However, after a few months, I found it to be increasingly unimpressive and replaced it after a year. Last year, after a further change to the amp setup, I got the Dynaudio Special 40s which, IMO, deliver music, well, musically. Although my amp setup is still solid state, I'm currently awaiting delivery of a Willsenton R8 integrated tube amp for a second system (a bit of an experiment) but it's a near nailed-on certainty I won't be able to resist trying the R8 in the main system with the Dynaudios. I don't expect the R8 to have any difficulty in driving the Dynaudios and some of the sweeping statements along the lines of "tubes can't drive Dynaudios" seem to rely more on preconceptions & (lab) measurement rather than real-world implementation/experience so I'm not in the slightest bit surprised at the 8W Elekit amp doing much better than anticipated.

When the R8 arrives (a few weeks away) and has been given some time to settle, I'll think about posting some feedback - probably a new thread - about how it sounds in both the main system and the intended second system.

Sys 1: Dynaudio Special 40s; plus sources - optional pre-amp / streamer / DAC NAD C 658; or Cocktail Audio X10 or Sony UHP-H1 SACD / CD / BD player.
    In this system, the R8 would take the place of a PS Audio Stellar S300 (power amp) and / or the NAD.

Sys 2: Q Acoustics Concept 20s; plus (probably) Bluesound Node 2i with, maybe, upgraded PSU.
    In this system, the R8 + Node 2i would take the place of a Marantz all-in-one box.

Of course, the (first world) problems really start if the R8 blows the NAD / PS Audio combo out of the water :confused: :shake: :yikes: . Lemme think... uh huh.... NAD + PS Audio for the second system? Or sell and search for a new "cheap" amp for the second system (e.g. Rega Io?, Exposure XM5? or similar). I know, a second R8!?! :doh: To borrow and paraphrase from Mr F Mercury: "I may be going ever so slightly mad....". In mitigation, to borrow roughly from Mr P Floyd: "It's ok, it's very hard to explain why you are mad, even if you're not mad...". Right, I'm off to find a chill pill. My head hurts.... :help: :)

Happy listening all.

jt007 and matro5 like this.
  10. SMDEE

@RockAddict It’s nice to have so many options. Messing with the gear is entertainment on its own.

I am still waiting on the Omega SAMs so the Special 40s are still hooked up to the Elekit. Using my Bluesound Node2i, my Thorens TD-166, or my vintage Rega Planet CD player, I am still surprised by how pleasing it sounds. I have heard multiple systems over the year that cost 6-figure$ so I am not saying my system is even in the same universe. It isn’t. It lacks scale, size, jump, and visceral impact. The soundstage is comparatively small and instrument separation is only good. Plus, the Elekit runs out of gas pretty quickly with the Special 40s. It’s not a huge deal since it gets loud enough for me.

However, I am still shocked at how much audio pleasure I get from an $8oo kit amp plus a pair of Special 40s. The mid-range clarity is great, highs are livelier, and there is more presence to vocals and brass than with the suite of SS integrated amps I used in the past. The Elekit has weaker bass output than the Rotel so I use a pair of subs to fill in the bottom end. Problem solved. When I put on Jon Faddis playing trumpet or Ella Fitzgerald singing like an angel, I am thoroughly satisfied. Stevie Ray Vaughan’s guitar sounds like Stevie Ray’s guitar. Why did it take me so long to get here? Anyhow, I am selling a mint-condition Rotel RA-1572 if anyone is interested.

RockAddict likes this.
  11. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

SMDEE - I’ve been in a transition over the last year to a whole different setup. Part of that journey I still had my special 40 speakers that were powered by 8 watts single ended tube. I was told this would not work but I thought it sounded glorious. Having had the S40s I would definitely try the audio note cobra one day if you get the chance. In my head that could be a really great combo.

Good luck with the journey!

SMDEE likes this.
  12. jt007

jt007 Active Member

@RockAddict I am super interested to hear your thoughts on the R8, especially with the Dynaudio S40s! Cheers

RockAddict likes this.
  13. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

so much nice combinations. either you go solid state, you gotta have a tube preamp. Thats the key..:-popcorn:
    There are wonder speakers that doesn't sound right in the beginning, but when you have the right audio, the right amp, it shines. I'm stuck for life with my Vienna acoustic bach in my living room. I cant think of any other speaker as warm and can deliver smoothness for a long period of listening hours.

james likes this.
  14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The poster stated he did not have a large fund. Frankly, hard to beat the Yaqin MC-100B. First, the tubes are best. 12AX7s driving the stellar 6SN7. KT-88 is a clear and precise power tube. To tune it, you need to roll tubes. RCA 12AX7 grey long plate, Sylvania 6SN7GTA and Gold Lion KT-88. The KT-88 will have the least effect on sound. You need a tube phono section. $1400 will get you a complete amplifier system with the phono stage.

15. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I had 10 wonderful years with the MC-100B. A lot of ups and downs and it comes with the partnership. I did a lot of modification and along the way I found out it sounded really good on the very first generation of the Psvane kt-88. They made 3 different kinds. The first 2 are physically identical. The very first production, the reading was way off the scale. It sounded like glass and I got so many hours out of each pair. It really compliments the yaqin. The 2nd and third production wasn't the same. I can easily compare it because I still have 16 of those tubes left. Overall, one of the best sounding amp I had. Mine came in as a lemon amp but I was able to fix it the right way. I still have it today and someday I'll use it again.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  16. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

jt007 and james like this.
  17. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I would consider the Quad II Classic Integrated.

Quad II Classic Integrated review | What Hi-Fi?

May be slightly beyond your budget new, but a very good pre-owned buy.

I bought mine ex-demo 3 years ago, beautiful bit of kit with the bonus of a superb phono stage.

Good luck in your search.

ps - new price in UK is now£3500, not £4500 as quoted in the review in the link.

IIRC I paid about £2200 for mine.

18. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Makes more sense. Check out the Quicksilver Audio Integrated-I own one and I own a pair of Omega speakers. Great match.

19. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Old amps require a rebuild. Cost is $600 on up plus expensive shipping two ways. No issue with a new amp that costs same as the rebuild.

20. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Maybe a Croft integrated? Check it out.

21. Raphael Mabo

Raphael Mabo Music nerd

Vincent SV237 is what you want. A hybrid amp. Tubes in the input stage and a powerful solid state output. Excellent rich sound. Lots of power.

Slippers-on likes this.
  22. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

This is what I have and am very happy with it. It is paired with Elac Carina Towers which are 6 ohm 87dB. It drives the Elac's with ease which a Marantz PM8006 was not able to at all.

Raphael Mabo likes this.
  23. DonMan

DonMan Member

Were you asleep during the audition? There is no way in hell anyone could actually enjoy this heap of junk much less recommend it. Do you work for McIntosh?

Timmmmmy44 likes this.
  24. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

25. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Errr, no brainer. Yaqin MC-100B. Low cost, high performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.