which US pressings of rolling stones LET IT BLEED had the poster?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigmikerocks, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

a guy on ebay is listing a sealed US copy of LET IT BLEED, and he guarantees the poster will be inside
    did the poster come in mid 70s pressings, and is there a way to tell the original pressings from ones a few years later by any clues on the cover ?

any clues or ideas?

thanks!!

2. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I've got a US copy that came with the poster and original inner sleeve, as well as an advert about joining the rolling stones fan club. The only clue I know of is the inner sleeve credit that mentions the poster and sleeve design. Original London pressings for most Stones albums, LIB included, are typically difficult to tell apart from mid-70s pressings based on the cover alone because the covers look very similar. There are exceptions of course, such as Beggars Banquet and Satanic Majesties.

Concerning LIB, a copy still in shrink wrap might have a sticker that mentions the poster.

3. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

If you already have a copy with wrap (with no stiker) and poster, you could weigh it and to do a comparison with the weigh of the one sealed.
    I bought a sealed copy and to see if it contained the poster I compared the weight with my other copy ... the weight difference is obvious.
    ...in this way it is sure.
    In this case, you have to ask at the seller the weigh of his sealed copy...

4. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

In general, I agreed with you.
    But I am not 100% sure because I know that not all the UK LIB issued with the poster had also the stickers on covers. The same could be happen for the US pressing...
    So, for a sealed copy, rely on the fact that the cover has the sticker or not, does not guarantee the presence or absence of the poster, IMO.

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I believe posters only came with early pressings in the UK. Probably up to early boxed Decca. Now if this copy is sealed be suspicious. Not sure when US started factory sealed pressings? If it is anything post early 70's likely won't have the poster. UK pressings were never sealed until shops like HMV and Virgin started their own sealing and putting the full LP on display mid/late 70s.

6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

[​IMG]

Sean and Giorgio like this.
  7. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I have not with me the UK Record Collectors price guide book for a check now, but, if the memory save me, it reports that also some copies of Boxed Decca were with the poster (with or without sticker on front cover), not only with early Unboxed pressing.

Note: when I speak of sealed copy regarding LIB, I'm speaking about the US version. Never seen (and known to exist) an UK sealed copy.

8. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Edit: just checked on UK Record Collectors book...and my memory had f**** me!!
    The book says:"Decca SKL 5025 LET I BLEED (LP, stereo, blue inner, w/poster, some w/stickered sleeve)". It is for unboxed Decca label only. Ther is not mention about the boxed one.
    My book is very old (2002) but I think that there is not an updating about this (please let me know if it is not so).

It confirms that not all the UK early copies were with the sticker on cover...it is possible that also for the US early copies were the same (no sticker on wrap), IMO.

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have a boxed mono Decca that has the poster with the sticker on the cover.

10. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

That was a dreadful poster...The band looks tired....Why the big Mick?.....Lower case -rolling stones-...Ghastly

11. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I have a boxed stereo Decca with inner, poster and sticker on cover.
    1) For this title, it is very easy to switch a vinyl record from a second pressing set (boxed label without inner, poster and sticker) with a cover+sticker, inner and poster coming from a first pressing set.
    2) It is not a "news" that also an important "source document" as the Record Collectors book is, forgets or fails to list something.

Maybe in this forum already exist an answer...I have to check it.

12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yup, it's all in the dead wax.

13. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

That poster is similar to the cover of Doors 13.

14. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Could you please explain?

15. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

Unlike UK/Europe, US LP's came factory sealed as standard a long time before Let It Bleed was released in 1969.

To answer your question, I don't know of a way to tell just from the sealed jacket whether the inner & poster are in there...but I can say that my friends and I bought copies well into the late 1970s and got the poster/inner sleeve with the record. This includes copies purchased from both Record Club Of America and Columbia Record Club. For some reason I think the extras were included a lot longer in the US than in the UK.

I think initial US pressings may have had a sticker on the shrinkwrap saying 'Rolling Stones poster enclosed' or something similar, although I may be wrong about that.

I don't really know, however, how he can 'guarantee' that the poster's in there, unless he opened it, checked, & re-sealed it. There are plenty of times that I purchased LP's new, and did not get lyric sheets / extras that were included in the standard LP package. (This seemed to happen to me a lot more in the 70s/80s than it does now.) And what is the guarantee? Will he refund the purchase price if it's not there?

If it's just a standard sealed LP without any sticker, it's probably just a crapshoot, really...only you can say whether it's worth the price the seller is charging.

16. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

Here's a link to a cool site with info on UK/European pressings & cover variations:

http://www.stonesondecca.com/4A14_LK5025_LIB.html

The black 'Full Color Rolling Stones Poster Included' sticker pictured on this site is what I seem to remember from initial US copies...

Giorgio likes this.
  17. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Thanks for this link!!

18. Rusty

Rusty New Member

I have a London copy of Let It Bleed catalog number NPS - 4 with "Printed in USA" and London Records Inc. 829 West 25th Street, New York, N.Y. 100001 on the back left hand corner. There is no with poster sticker on the label. does anyone know if this sealed copy indeed has the poster inside? London is boxed on the front with stereophonic underneath it. It weighs 223 grams or 7.87 ounces.

19. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I have a sealed copy too and an opened one with sticker and poster. Both US London.
    Time ago I done a weigh comparison and my conclusion was that the sealed one is without poster. I don't remember the weigh values...I have to check again this night when I'll be at home...I'll let you know.

20. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The LP will weigh differently from pressing to pressing. Same with the cover, slightly different thicknesses. I don't know how its possible to determine a poster is inside a still sealed copy just by weighing it!

Aftermath and Giorgio like this.
  21. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Agreed with you.
    If I remember well, in my comparison, the difference was more or less the weight of the poster alone, for that reason I concluded so...but, I can be wrong. I will check again.... just for fun :)

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

One way is to (very carefully) make a small cut in the shrink wrap where the mouth of the jacket is and (very carefully) shake the jacket until you can see the lavender inner sleeve. I used this technique to check whether a copy of the new Pearl Jam album I received from the fan club had a red vinyl version inside. Slight rip to the shrink wrap as well/ but managed to see that it was indeed red.

Giorgio likes this.
  23. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Here the weight of my two copies.
    The sealed one weighs 256 grams (no sticker on wrap).
    The opened one weighs 306 grams (cover+sticker on wrap+vinyl+pink inner+poster).
    The poster alone weighs 34 grams.

Rusty, the weigh of your sealed copy is 223 grams and if I add the weigh of (my) poster, its weigh become 257 grams, more or less as my sealed one.
    Does it means that my sealed copy has the poster inside and yours not? May be...

But, if I remove the poster from the opened one, its weigh is 272 grams and doesn't fit at all!!

So, as "Raunchnroll" already said, the weight of vinyl is different from pressing too pressing, the covers have slightly different thicknesses.
    I have to agreed with his conclusion that by weighing is very hard to determine if the poster is inside or not...(my memory was wrong).

The right way could be the one suggested by "drbryant"...

Aftermath likes this.
  24. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Hi Everyone, After reading your replies I went ahead and cut about 1 inch of shrink on the leading edge (in the middle and gedntly pushed on the edges. There was not only a sticker poster proclaming that there is a poster inside there also was no poster inside.. The problem was solved. Only bummer is that I was hoping for the poster! One important caution : you will easily create a "Push through" of the disc around the middle of the leading edge if you shake the record.. As Giorgio mentioned above, the poster will show itself easily enough by the lavender inner. Peace!

Giorgio likes this.
  25. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

The sticker says "Full color ROLLING STONES POSTER included" and, if I well understood, after verification, your sealed copy with this sticker does not have the poster inside, am I correct?
    At this point I have to check my sealed copy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.