Which versions of 'Who's Next' were mastered by Steve?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oldschool, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss Thread Starter

I'm sure this one was discussed before, but right now the search engine doesn't seem to work..

So there's the US: MCAD-37217, CA: MCABD-37217 and the gold MCA version. Also there's the MFSL, but I am ruling it out

Which one was mastered by Steve? Which one should I get?

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

3. oldschool

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Unfortunately, the search function seems to have trouble searching for anything that mentions the word "Who." Been a problem for years. :shrug:

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The cheaper Canadian version without the bonus tracks. :)

6. oldschool

I am still wondering whether to search for the S.H. mastered US one or go for the Canadian.

- Canadian is "blacked" between some tracks
    - overall level is lower on Canadian
    - Canadian has a small pop/glitch in WGFA, not on any other version.

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

US or Japan Made or US is not hard to find. Sounds noticeably better than the Canadian.

8. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Really? Can you direct me to a japan made? I havent been able to find one.

Anyone have one for sale please pm me :)

9. oldschool

So today I got on Ebay a MCAD-37217 with a playing time of 43:40, according to the seller, for $5

Dunno what the guy used to calculate this time, but I hope it's Steve's anyway..

10. JWB

JWB New Member

The one to get is the BMG record club pressing of MCAD-37217. It's made from Steve's digital mastering and it's nice and loud! I found one on eBay easily after asking around. There are also *some* regular pressings with this mastering that were made in Japan. Steve's pressing is 43:25. The "crap" version is 43:15. I've never heard of a version that totals 43:40. I don't think the seller understood your question. He probably added up the track times on the CD case or something.

The Canadian CD is made from an analog safety of Steve's mastering and it's crudely blacked out between tracks. It also has some glitches. It's still in print and easy to get but I would avoid it. It's worth it to seek out the old BMG.

The MCA Gold is crap.

11. oldschool

First he said the track times were not listed and then I asked him to put it in a player and report back. He said 43:40. Catalogue is MCAD-37217. I am getting frustrated here... Oh well, will wait and see when it arrives

12. JWB

JWB New Member

Good luck!

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

14. JWB

JWB New Member

It's not my fault. That's the thing in this forum - if you ask about Who's Next everybody goes "GET THE CANADIAN IT'S ONLY 7.99" which aggravates me every time because I paid $4.99 for my US disc which sounds better and comes straight from the master tape to digital unlike the Canadian. Some people complain that the US disc is too loud, but nobody complains about other Hoffman DCC discs that are just as loud at times.

Anyway, MCAD-37217 is the one you want. Look for a US "Made In Japan" that totals 43:25 or a BMG record club pressing. The Columbia House record club pressings use Steve's digital master too but the volume has been lowered quite a few dB by somebody...the peaks are still clipped if you look at the waveforms.

15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

In the meantime, just enjoy the Canadian version. It sounds great, copy tape or no. Certainly not worth getting upset about.

16. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I grew up with the Canuck version, it's the only one I need...blacked out or not, glitched or not...still sounds like heaven.

17. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:wave:

I have a recent pressing of the Canuck CD version :confused: It sounds loud enough.

Glitches - tell me where? :angel: I can have a closer listen.

:)

18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

That's right. :agree:

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FWIW, the BMG is from the same digital transfer as the original, but it *isn't* digitally identical. Simply put, one is a hair faster than the other. Apparently some type of sampling rate conversion took place. Not sure how or why, but...

Japanese pressings exist of both the 43:25 and 43:15 masterings. I believe US pressings exist of both as well, although I'm not 100% about the 43:25 mastering (Steve's).

It's assumed it's made from an analog safety copy, but nobody really knows for sure.

It is. CEDAR can be thanked for that.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

WGFA. It's been a while, but I think it's around "I move myself and my family aside..." 3:36 maybe?

21. tootull

:confused: Not to add fuel to the fire, I'm not hearing a glitch.

22. tootull

:agree: :D

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Again, it's been a while, but there should be a big pop at "I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky".

24. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

definately a Characteristic of Steves mastering-I had the Japan MCA disc with the shorter time and that one didn't have the click

25. tootull

Clean sound - Cinram CD

No doubt, after several listens - no glitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.