Whitesnake - The Purple Tour - Jan '18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

DC was great on Burn and Come Taste The Band.... His first two solo albums are really good. I lost the interest after 1987. Boring stuff after.

Munros1969 likes this.
  2. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Yeah, David Coverversion I think he called him. Kind of funny considering all the (uncredited) blues covers Plant sang on their first few albums.

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it's fantastic...something different from a typical live video.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Curveboy

Considering he is still recording new material (new album due in 2018) and has released two killer albums of original material since reforming Whitesnake I'd say he's hardly living off past glories.

5. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

You are correct! What I meant was that without the periods I mentioned, he/Whitesnake wouldn't be much of a draw anymore. He could have easily stopped making records years ago, and it wouldn't have made any difference in ticket sales.
    The fact that he still wants to move forward with new music is something I admire, and I wish more heritage acts would do also. Bad for Good and Forevermore both have really good moments, many of which are superior to the mid 80s material which, ironically, is what keeps people coming back to Whitesnake shows.

Runicen, Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Joe Lynn Turner? The only person on the planet that thought he was a good fit for Deep Purple was Ritchie Blackmore.

Carserguev, patrickd and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

joe lynn turner is a better vocalist than coverdale but not a good fit for deep purple

8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It’s a cheezy music video. There isn’t anything live about it.

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

And Joe Lynn Turner

10. zen

zen Senior Member

When you say better, do you mean more vocal range, or you prefer Coverdale's vocal timbre when he was in Purple?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

spot on.

btw, saw JLT live earlier this year. I'd say that live, he's just as good as he ever was. Really impressive performace for a guy well into his 60s.

Fusionfan and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

just a better singing technique which is why JLTs voice isn't shredded even at almost 70 years old

zen and dlokazip like this.
  13. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Joe is the best vocalist Baldrick ever worked with, IMO. He was an ok fit for DP, not as good as Rainbow admittedly, but ultimately if he didn't fit DP, then DP should've been rearranged to fit him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

As much as I like Slaves And Masters, I remember turning over the album when I first saw it in the store, seeing the lineup and saying, "Ritchie, why?"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Curveboy

And me. Slaves & Masters is the best album Purple ever did.

16. Curveboy

Considering how few bands put in the time or effort...they oblivious put some money behind it...solid effects, integrating live performance footage with studio shot stuff...in terms of 2017/2018 it's a remarkably well done video.

17. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

It's the best album Purple ever did with Joe, I'll give you that :righton:

18. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

What?!!! That's a ridiculously inaccurate statement. You should have said "IMO". Or have you never heard of Machine Head?

19. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

to get this back on track; I've listened to this a few times now, and compared to the 2004 live version this holds up very well imo. My biggest disappointment is that some of the backing vocals are so obviously done in the studio. If you're goint to cheat, at least do it properly!!!

20. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Or House Of Blue Light?

21. Curveboy

While it does contain the second* best purple song--Bad Attitude--it is a terrible album.

*I'd go with Perfect Strangers for the number one slot

slipkid likes this.
  22. Curveboy

Well of course it's IMO, I said it...what is this, internet 1995??

Machine Head is flawed...Never Before and Lazy? No no no...

23. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Okay your posts must be in jest. Nobody in their right mind thinks this.

yarbles, Zoot Marimba and Rufus rag like this.
  24. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Don't know who the girl is but she's no Tawny Kitaen.....sorry!!!:shake:

As for the rest.......will reserve judgement until the album comes out in January and have a proper listen...can't possibly make any proper calls based on THAT video.

PS - The House of Blue Light is the best non-Coverdale Purple album in my opinion......but then I'm not a Purple fan.....have tried.......not my cup of tea.....find Gillan's vocals insufferable on the whole.

PPS - So, Blackmore and JLT were in Rainbow....... and then in Purple......what colour does that make??

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

They just wanted to put a teaser video together to promote release. Why is everyone hate this so much?

He still sounds good live and fully has his low tone intact. When I saw Axl this year with GNR he totally lost his low voice but has his high voice still. Age is a funny thing.

Whitesnake last 2 original studio albums are fantastic so I am glad he is still inspired to make music and tour. Another new studio album is on the way later this year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.