Whitesnake: The Red, White and Blues Trilogy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Apr 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm not a mind-reader, so I can't verify this, but it really seems like the entire philosophy behind remixing and re-recording things on these releases has more to do with giving the ardent fans a reason beyond, "This completes my collection" to bother with the new releases. The price point and the sheer bulk of material he's been including seems to back me up on this idea. It's not so much, "Gee, I can shift more units of my old solo album," and more "Hey, it's out of print and some fans would like to get their hands on it - may as well bring it into line with the rest of the catalog."

Now, I'll be moderately miffed if he really plays around with it and doesn't include the original recordings, but history to this point indicates we'll probably get a plethora of options in a hypothetical box set - including the originals.

2. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

that's fine to make it in print again, but to change history and now call it a Whitesnake album is just flat out nonsense, that's my main gripe about it, but whatever i give up...

agentalbert likes this.
  3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Marco and Denny have both been in Whitesnake so that's 3/5 of folks that have been in Whitesnake. I don't see the big deal renaming the album. Who cares. He actually mentioned this on his website when he changed it from davidcoverdale.com to whitesnake.com that Whitesnake and David Coverdale are synonymous in terms of the music he was making. He will include the original like he as with these reissues as well as having a remixed version.

Trader Joe, ARK, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

David Coverdale is Whitesnake - end of story. Had Into The Light come out in 2000 as a Whitesnake album, I'd have thought it was a great Whitesnake album. As it is it came out as a David Coverdale album, and I think its a great David Coverdale album.....by 2000 (and before) any Whitesnake album is simply David Coverdale and "whoever" anyway. I mean the closest David got to a regular line up was the '78-82 line up. I think Good To Be Bad is a stunning Whitesnake album, and yet there are folks on it who I have no idea really who they are.

So if the Box set comes out as a Whitesnake set and includes a remix of the original album and a new version with Snakies on it, plus all the other stuff - who cares? Give us it all....give us everything David darling.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Rocketdog, zen, Trader Joe and 4 others like this.
  5. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

I am the first when artists want to mess with archive releases, but what DC does seems decent enough - long out of print material becoming available again, embellished with organ/guitars/vocals and remixed for better sound, with additional bonus tracks and whatnot, but the most important of all - the original album intact.

That's the way to go I think. At this stage of his career, he wants a "definitive" version of the albums he owns the rights to, giving the fans all the available material (and then some).

Now it all depends on the price of course. But I believe there will be simple 2 CD versions of these albums that are reasonably priced (apart from the deluxe ones).

It would be great to do this to the first solo and early Whitesnake period - what I wouldn't give to hear those albums containing some fine moments from players like Jon Lord and Ian Paice in a much better sound, with outtakes and the like - but as it's been said, the rights are not his, so...

6. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

thought about this thread when i heard "here i go again" on the radio last weekend. on a good stereo. it still jumps out of the speakers!

7. Riffraff03

Riffraff03 Forum Resident

8. bartels76

All the reissues have 1 CD versions but with no bonus tracks so it's either that or the box. There won't be any in-between as I don't think there is a market for more than that like how Prince's reissues are configured.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. bartels76

Wow that's more specific news than before. Hopefully Jimmy can come up with something within a year. From what I gather, Universal lost some of Coverdale's material in the fire and in turn gave the Coverdale/Page rights to him? That's pretty amazing as some artists have gotten zilch.
    I don't understand what exactly was lost as Coverdale seems to have the multi-tracks and monitor mixes to everything as he has been able to remix all the Geffen stuff so far and he can mix C/P as well. What would be left that got lost?

10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

11. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

I get mixed up with all of Coves remixing!!
    Has he released the 1987 and Slip of the tongue remixes yet?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not the new Chris Collier versions...but several songs were remixed for their respective box sets:

1987 [2017 Remixes]
    1. “Still Of The Night” – Remix *
    2. “Is This Love” – Remix *
    3. “Give Me All Your Love” – Remix *
    4. “Here I Go Again 87” – Remix *

Slip of the Tongue 30th Anniversary
    1. “Slip Of The Tongue” (Alternate Intro & Breakdown)
    2. “Cheap An’ Nasty” (Alternate Solo & End)
    3. “Judgment Day” (Alternate & Extended Solos)

13. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

thanks. Unbelievable to think there is more to come! Will they be much different. I got a '87 box set with stacks of different versions. It's almost too much! :)

Use_Your_Koala and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Looking to pick up the Rock and Blues album, looking for recommendations on whether I should pick up the vinyl or CD sets. Are the CDs compressed? Are the vinyl well pressed, and how do they sound?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Curveboy

CD's are compressed for sure...but not to the point where it's too annoying IMO
    I will say The Love Album is much better than I thought it would be!

16. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I took the plunge and ordered all 3 last week.
    The rock album only arrived yesterday so waiting for my day off for that, but the other 2 came before the weekend and they sound great. Nice and quiet, good sound . Very nice sounding vinyl IMO.
    I like the fact that some of the tracks have different bits. One track off the Blues album has a different ending DC had forgotten about.
    The insert has a nice little commentary on the changes for each track.
    I do like how positive the man is and how he gives credit to the miscellaneous members of each line up.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I like on the Blues Album the last song is "Crying In The Rain." A perfect way to end the album.

18. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Slightly off topic - I can’t find any info at all about the ‘Still Good To Be Bad’ Japan reissue of the ‘Good To Be Bad’ album. It looks like it has extra tracks and another few re-recorded with a new drummer?

Is it worth holding out for it(until it’s a decent price)?, or is the regular album fine as it is - I know there is a 2 disc of the regular album and a Japan version with bonus tracks but these are alt. mixes/live so I can live without them.

Trader Joe and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i have a copy of the Still Good to be Bad release and i love it!

I bought it for the bonus dvd though, as the cd portion is the Good to be Bad album with the 4 new songs that were on the Live in the Shadow of the Blues cd.

I'd try to track down a copy of it if you can. but if you don't care about the dvd and only want the music, then i'd buy the live album and get any version of the Good to be Bad album that you can.

Also, i'm sure in like 10 years or less there will be a box set for this album as well, since David seems to be doing box sets for every album, haha.
    (Which i am a fan of them all so far!)

20. Gus Tomato

Thanks for that! (This is why I love this place!)

21. Curveboy

It took me a long time to track down a copy of Still Good To Be Bad but there IS a different drummer on it from the live disc:

Live...In The Shadow of the Blues has Tommy Aldridge on drums for the 4 studio tracks

Still Good To Be Bad has the drum tracks replaced by Chris Fraiser to bring them in line with the rest of the album

22. Curveboy

Sorry...PS...David has announced a Good To Be Bad box set is coming!

Runicen, Trader Joe and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. bartels76

No I would not get this. First off the DVD portion is all on Unzipped I believe. I also think the Good To Be Bad box will be re-released with all the bonus bits. Won't be worth it at this stage.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Gus Tomato

Thanks guys - that clears up a lot. Think I’ll get the regular cd (thankfully a jewel case!) and the live album. :righton:

25. Gus Tomato

I know I’m only torturing myself here asking about this :laugh: but do you think the Good To Be Bad album benefits from the four additional studio tracks?

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.