Whitesnake: The Red, White and Blues Trilogy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Apr 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

I'm not massive on most of their post-Slip of the Tongue albums - they aren't bad, I just find them totally forgettable - but I confess I enjoyed their latest one Flesh & Blood quite a bit.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

That version helped it get to # 1. The only US #1 by a Deep Purple member.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

Well they can keep their number one rating if it means demeaning a song with integrity. I don't need it sampled for rap song either. But the record company can do what it likes since it owns the music.

4. bartels76

David owns the publishing so he gets to say yes or no on everything. It has made him a rich man over the years so he has zero regrets over the remake.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think that Good To Be Bad and Forevermore are strong contenders, mixing their earlier heavy blues with the more epic tone of 1987 and Slip of the Tongue.

The Purple Album and Flesh & Blood I think are very good, but not quite in the same league.

That said it sounds like The Rock Album would be perfect for someone like you to reintroduce you to the band.

And of Slide It In is your favorite track down the incredible remix David put out last year.

6. Curveboy

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

slipkid and Carlox like this.
  8. bartels76

I sampled the tracks on Spotify as I am waiting for my disc as well. The remixes are fun.
    David does a fantastic job with these compilations. He literally may be the best at it coming from the artist himself. He said we will be getting Red (Love Songs) in the fall and Blue (Blues Songs) in the Spring. Restless Heart box will come out later in 2021. Not sure what is going on with his Into The Light solo album if that is going to get reissued or not. Coverdale /Page is another mystery. I hope Pagey doesn't come anywhere near helping put out a box for that. He is the worst at putting out reissues aside from the remastering part.

Riffraff03 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Was hesitant to get this CD but the hell I'm gonna get it. Ordered from Amazon. I'm going to add session track "Always The Same" to a Flesh & Blood burned cd.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Psychedelic Good Trip

11. Curveboy

Haven't listened to it yet but the liner notes are very informative. David gives you a little bit on each track.

So from what I'm getting out of it 1987, Slip of the Tongue and Restless Heart are all getting deluxe remix packages sometime next year. Also seems to be hinting the same might be in the works for Good To Be Bad and Forevermore.

12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Again??.....weren't the box sets of those two deluxe enough?? Restless Heart I'll take in a heartbeat. No mention of Coverdale Page I assume??

As part of my general album buying these days, compilations of artists whom I own all of their albums are out of the picture....simply no space....so giving the "Trilogy" a miss, but did download the new track to add to Flesh & Blood.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. bartels76

Same with me but these are unique remixes so I'll get these.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Curveboy

I left off Into The Light which I think is also coming...I'm in the middle of his latest Eddie Trunk interview so we'll see if he mentions Coverdale/Page. I also have to check out the interview posted by @Psychedelic Good Trip above.

As @bartels76 pointed out the difference is The ROCK Album is completely new mixes, with additional instrumentation too.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

My copy shipped out today will have tomorrow Sunday 6/21.

:)

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  16. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

The use of "deluxe" is a bit confusing, but the Slip set didn't include any remixes while the 1987 box only had 3 or 4 remixed tracks. Given how well the total remix of Slide It In was received I can see why he'd want to do something similar for those albums. Hopefully they'll just be single-disc things rather than yet another big box set.

17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I thought the remaster of Slip sounded great, and I know its a personal thing but I would be giving remixes of 1987 & Slip a miss as well (as the Trilogy). No matter how Coverdale tries to sell it. I'd rather see him focus on other re-issues than flogging the same old horses.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Just Pushing Play

Just Pushing Play Well-Known Member

Got my CD copy on Friday. Disappointed that it's a cardboard folder-over design instead of a jewel case, and mine got a little squashed in the post.

Haven't had time to check the CD yet but listened to the remixes on Spotify while driving. Sounds good so far, some tracks more embellished more than others, though it does make me really look forward to that Restless Heart release.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To anyone else who has the CD, is your spine art mis-printed like mine? Not sure whether to get a replacement.

19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

how is that a misprint?

20. Curveboy

Your's looks a bit more off than my copy but not by much.

21. Just Pushing Play

Just Pushing Play Well-Known Member

Mid-aligned I should say. The text on the spine is too low, and is folding over to the back.

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

23. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

No, not here. And your photo is not a misprint.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

I have been playing it all day today. Great album. Perfect for any fan of Deep Purple/David Coverdale/Whitesnake fan. Love it.

I really love the new song. Classic Whitesnake.

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Listening on Apple Music. Very casual fan, some of these songs are totally new to me, but overall the mixes are pretty nice. More "modern" but not jarringly so (to me), like on Mustaine's Megadeth remixes. I'm the kind of person that would probably go to a compilation or playlist rather than the original albums for this band, and, dynamics aside (when was the last time a Whitesnake release had good dynamics?) I certainly can't argue with going to this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.