DCC Archive Whitesnake

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BitShifter, Oct 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BitShifter

BitShifter New Member Thread Starter

I just picked up the Axe-Killer remasters of Whitesnake 87 and Slip Of The Tongue, and was chagrined to find they sound *different* than the original Geffens, but not necessarily better. Am I wrong? Is there such a thing as a "good" version of Whitesnake? I've never even seen any Whitesnake on vinyl in a used record store, so I haven't done any preliminary investigations into trying to master it from stock. Would it be worthwhile?

From listening to the Axe-Killers and Geffens, I'm beginning to think that mastering these 2 classics is the audio equivalent of Whack-A-Mole. If you try to add clarity to the vocals, the cymbals start to hiss and flatten; if you try to add bass, the guitars mash or distort.... There's just a lot of *stuff* constantly going on in the music, and no one seems to be able to sort it all out in a master.

I'd almost swear that the Axe-Killer version changes it's EQ'ing *on the fly*! It's like having someone play with the bass and treble adjustment whenever a solo or bridge begins or ends. :confused:

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: BitShifter ]

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

My question would be, when the Whitesnake self-titled and Slip Of The Tongue came out, CD technology was around. Was the mastering, sound and feel that was obviously approved by the artists so bad to begin with? We're not talking Deep Purple remasters of albums that didn't sound "amazing" we're talking Whitesnake. I have no reason to upgrade them at all.

Chances are, if your old CD sounds great, and the music isn't that old, chances are it's someone with an EQ and a digital workstation putting pepper and salt on it. Pepper and salt shouldn't cost you $16.99.

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

3. BitShifter

BitShifter New Member Thread Starter

I'm not really happy with the way the original Geffens sound; I know this is vague, but I remember the songs sounding better on the radio. :) At any rate, on *some* occasions, I've found that I can master better-sounding CDs from analog (vinyl or cassette) sources for modern-era CDs than the stock issues. I don't know if it's because a different master was used for the analogs (I suspect so); certainly my meager skills, sound card, and use of Cool Edit shouldn't really allow me to compete with those guys in the studio with access to the original tapes. I'm not that good with seasonings :D

And then again, on *many* occasions, I've gotten hold of a virgin piece of vinyl for a modern-era CD because I was dissatisfied with the original CD; tossed it on my Rega P3 and mastered it, only to be frustrated when I wind up with something that sounds and looks bit-for-bit identical to the original CD after my 2 hours of work.

So I was wondering if maybe Whitesnake was one of these where the vinyl source might be worth looking into, or will I just wind up being disappointed after a few hours' work...

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have a mint copy of "Slide It In" and I think it sounds great.

Yeah, although radio audio goes though a lot of technical limiting, compression, weirdness, back in the day, it ALL was on vinyl, and it sounded damn good.

Get a copy of "Whitesnake" US Geffen at your local used record hock. Won't cost you much to experiment.

Sometimes, it's very true - the sound on vinyl sounds just "correct" to me, but not every time..so... let's see how you fair?

I'll give you this; I purchased a mildew-wridden LP of Def Leppard's "High & Dry" (cleaned it, don't worry) and a MINT copy of BOC's "Agents Of Fortune". Def costed me $1.99 and BOC was just $2.99. That really lit up my Rega. I was suprised big time too, because "Agents" never sounded that hot on LP to me, but damn, I must have been temporarilly deaf or... I didn't own a Rega then. ;)

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.