Who are the most underrated guitarists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Dec 16, 2016.

1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Good pick. He had a very cool vibe, a very cool sound in his playing that kind of communicated a '60s garage vibe updated with '70s sensibilities and the ability to jam when the tune called for it. In that way, he had it all.

Zoot Marimba and SurrealCereal like this.
  2. bibi50

bibi50 Forum Resident

As part of the mentioned guitarists are unknown, it could be nice if you add a reference to your judgement.
    Ex: Prince - listen to his solo on Purple rain... Steve Howe - Relayer and so on
    I do not understand for exemple why Krieger of the Doors is mentioned. Have all Doors lps and can't find something special in his playing.
    Think for exemple that Leslie West of Mountain is great but not sure he is even mentioned here. Just listen to Nantucket Sleighride

3. jazzyjm

jazzyjm Well-Known Member

Another vote for Malcolm Young!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. irid

irid Member

Helios Creed.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  5. irid

irid Member

Good gods, YES!

WillieDaPimp and Jim B. like this.
  6. deadjazz

deadjazz Well-Known Member

j. mascis

irid likes this.
  7. deadjazz

deadjazz Well-Known Member

Also, Carl Broemel of MMJ

8. Chimera

Chimera Forum Resident

Cliff Moore (Gary's younger brother)

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy)deliver beautifully structured and melodic solos that aren't just scale exercises, and that thematically cohere and advance the song.

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident

This bloke -

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  11. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Jennifer Turner

rgutter likes this.
  12. irid

irid Member

I think Duane Denison of Jesus Lizard and other projects belongs here.

He is a great, inventive player. He once said "I don't play things that other guitarists couldn't play; I try to play things that other guitarists wouldn't think to play."

13. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I've been listening to Mr. Lindley a bunch lately after finishing writing about seeing El Rayo X at the Cotati Cabaret in in Cotati, California, 5/9/89. What a show! By the end of the show we were all (band and audience) drenched in sweat with smiles all around. Fantastic!

Johnny Wong likes this.
  14. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Under rated guitarist? That's easy, quite a few from the 80's.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Back in the 80's most folks were into band image, which was a shame, because there were many talented guitarist overlooked....

15. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I often see that the term "underrated" is used for the concept of being not well known. There are plenty of guitarist who are not generally well known, but are acknowledged by those who DO know them to be excellent guitarists.

mianfei likes this.
  16. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Dave Brock - more influential than he is often credited for (Craig Leon and the Ramones wanted their guitar to sound like "Silver Machine") and he taught Clapton a thing or two.

17. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Gary is always my answer when this question is asked of me... loved his tone!

18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Moses Mo of Mother's Finest.
    Eric Gales
    Rusty Anderson
    Michael Burks
    Lucky Peterson
    Jesse Johnson

All these guys are absolutely awesome!

19. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Jeff Massey of The Steepwater Band.

His guitartner in crime, Eric Saylors is no slouch himself.

One of the best I've ever heard.

20. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I haven't gone through this entire thread, but I hope multiple people have already mentioned Jim McCarty. He is a guitar god!

21. I would have to say fellow Canadian Alex Lifeson of RUSH. I don't think that under-rated is the best term necessarily, as most will agree that he is outstanding, but when your only bandmates are Geddy Lee (considered by some to be among the best bassists of all-time) and Neil Peart (considered by MANY to be among the best drummers of all-time), a musician even as talented as Lifeson can be overshadowed. He really is an incredible guitarist- very possibly more talented than some of the guitarists that are perennials on top-10 guitarist lists, such as Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton. This is certainly a debatable point of view, but I don't think that it is a preposterous thing to say.

51IS and gorangers like this.
  22. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Saw Kal a couple of weeks ago at a small venue in Old Saybrook CT. Awesome show. Kal David and The Real Deal with Lauri Bono still sound great after all these years. If they play at a place near you, I recommend you go. You will not be disappointed!

23. marmooskapaul

marmooskapaul Forum Resident

Kristin Hersh---solo and Throwing Muses/50' Wave

mianfei likes this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I really enjoy Kal's last 2 records but I'm not a fan of Lauri Bono. Her singing does nothing for me as Kal's talent, and wonderful voice, dwarf her IMO.

25. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I felt somewhat the same way, but after hearing her a couple of weeks ago, I've changed my opinion. She sounded far better than I thought she would and they make a good team. Kal announced they will release a new cd in the next month or two. His band was excellent...very tight. The guy on the B3 was exceptional.