Who Could Have Been A Travelling Wilbury After Orbison's Death?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been reading about the rumours that Del Shannon might have replaced Roy Orbison in the Wilbury's. I have also wondered why Ringo did not become a member (or Keltner for that matter).

George, Bob, Jeff and Tom all had contemporaries and friends who could have stepped in, anyone from Eric Clapton to Roger McGuinn.

Who do you think would have been a good replacement for a new album and/or tour in the early 90's?

2. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

John Fogerty

Murph, Naughty Chord and theMess like this.
  3. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Rick Astley.

He would've OWNED that "I'm so tired of being lonely" part.

4. jerry garcia.

5. helter

helter Forum Resident

No one
    Probably why they didn't replace him for the second album

6. theMess

The whole project seemed so natural and relaxed that it is hardly a stretch to imagine them adding a new member. Apparently Shannon was seriously considered.
    Imagine that Clapton convinced George to tour Japan as the Wilbury's. That would have been incredible. A line up of Harrison, Clapton, Petty, Lynne, Dylan and Clapton's band, singing solo and Wilbury songs.

This sort of happened at the Dylan tribute concert, where Petty, Harrison, Dylan, Clapton and also McGuinn sang My Back Pages together, with Neil Young. Young himself would have been a good Wilbury.

Hep Alien, alchemy and Naughty Chord like this.
  7. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Del would have made sense. It might have been fun to have Smokey Robinson in there.

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Aaron Neville. They needed someone with a sweet voice to fill that hole, and his is the only male voice as sweet (probably a bit sweeter) in rock

9. theMess

Interesting idea. George adored him, and he had/has a lovely voice, so I suppose it would make sense.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Joe Walsh

11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I enjoyed "Vol. III" but there was still something missing without Orbison. I think they did right to stop there.

12. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Linda Ronstadt

Keith V likes this.
  13. theMess

Someone on a music review website once said that with a Beatle, Dylan, Orbison, someone from ELO and Petty, all they needed was a Rolling Stone and they would have basically everything covered. Which Stone would have been best? Ronnie Wood was a very good friend of Clapton and Harrison in the mid 70's.

14. theMess

A new member could really have helped that album.

15. theMess

Another interesting idea. I suppose that she could have fit in with her country/roots rock sound. Was she a friend of any of the members?

16. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

...and that natural relaxation may be the problem. I don't think that you could just take another guy and expect him to pick up on the chemistry and internal rhythm of the others, even if he would've sounded fine and been a nice guy. I think not replacing Roy was the best course.

17. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

He's a great songwriter too and was used to working quickly. Probably would have nudged Jeff a bit back to his own R&B influences too which could have been really good.

theMess likes this.
  18. theMess

I don't really see it as replacing him. There is no reason why they could not have had a fluid line up, in a way they did. Apparently Dylan was not anywhere near as involved as the others, and there are people like Keltner, who is in the videos and on the records, but was he a member or not?

They could have gone down a different route musically on the second album with a new member.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  19. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Keltner was a Wilbury. He was on the recordings and in the videos. I suppose maybe he wasn't involved in the songwriting but I'm not even sure about that.

A replacement Wilbury would have had to be someone who was either a friend of band members or at least someone who could fit into the band concept. I can see Clapton as a possibility.

Neil Young isn't likely since there is video of George (during the Platinum Weird "This Guitar" session) saying he didn't like Young's singing or playing.

20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree. Some good tracks but the mix of who sang when and who played when was off without Orbison.

shaboo and theMess like this.
  21. theMess

Great point, I hadn't thought about that.

22. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Johnny Cash :D

23. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Del had already worked with Petty and Lynne on his last two albums, so there had to be some musical connection established between them already. Pretty sure he would have gotten it had he lived.

24. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Sammy Wilbury.

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  25. theMess

Is there any footage of him saying that on the internet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.