Who else is happy to see that the vinyl revival may be coming to an end?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Jan 16, 2023.

1. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

I've mentioned before it's a little like the popular album problem.

When albums were very popular (see: Whipped Cream & Other Delights) it's virtually impossible to find a NM or even VG+ copy because everyone dumped their copies when CDs came out or they were sold via estate sales, so the market is flooded and even if you had an "I opened the shrink wrap yesterday" you could never sell it to a used record store because they'd tell you they have six already.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

To the casual reader it sounds like you are doubting reality. Analog always introduces noise and some mild distortion.

No one said it will sound like crap. No need to use theatrics/exaggeration to make some point.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  3. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Also it is quite one thing to claim to not notice a deficiency and quite another to claim it is not real.

Ampexed likes this.
  4. Audio Gent

Audio Gent The Audio Gent

The subject has been covered so i'll just mention what i purchased today, LPs from Hillbilly Moon Explosion, NRBQ and Buddy Holly. :wave:

5. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to exaggerate. My system sounds wonderful to me and those who've heard it, even though it's flawed as you indicated.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

changing domains always a loss of information

7. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Are you possibly quoting the wrong person. I never heard/mentioned your system in any way. I have zero idea WHO you are at all.
    I was quoting some guy that asked what advantage there was to digital, and I mentioned less noise, generational loss and so on........

confused............??

8. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Also, going another generation of analog always introduces a loss of information.
    I probably like analog as much as you, but hey reality is reality.

What information do you assume is lost going to digital?
    Do you mean "In Theory" or do you have concrete evidence of losses on things you have ripped?

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  9. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Buddy Holly is the ONLY 50s singer/rocker I truly like!
    Have "The Buddy Holly Story" on vinyl and love it!

Also have "From the original master tapes on CD and it sound great also!

10. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

I was responding in a general sense to the analog/vinyl playback issues you outlined to the other poster. Just butting in I guess, I'm not part of any back-and-forth discussion here I don't think.

I have an all-analog system, and the sound is further colored with the use of tube amplification. The "flaws" I referenced were the general limitations of vinyl playback you outlined in the prior post.

DIYmusic and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

Agreed. My original vinyl edition of Pet Shop Boys-Actually is a great example; a digitally recorded and mixed album that sounds great on vinyl (and the original cd Is good too).

There’s too many articles out there maintaining that some novice took the current cd and recorded it onto vinyl.

timind likes this.
  12. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I know I only bought 1 or 2 "new" pieces of vinyl last year, and it was not Taylor Swift.

Maybe that is a reflection of new music quality last year.

Regardless, I doubt a drop in sales growth changes anything for anyone with a decent collection.

13. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

It's not. Not sure how that conclusion was drawn that it is ending soon. But even if the rate of increase declines at this rate it will take decades to get back to pre-boom levels. If -4% per year over 20 years.

The rate has decreased to pre Covid level. People were stuck at home, extra cash, bored.
    <1 mil to 45 mil in 15 years in the US alone.
    The buyers 15 years ago were the aficionados, audiophiles, etc., most boomers who are becoming a smaller % of the market due to their age meaning the exponential growth is due to new, younger people jumping in.

it will double in 7 years, in the US alone
    Vinyl Record Market Size, Share, Trends, Industry Report 2022-27
    The global vinyl record market size reached US$ 1.5 Billion in 2021. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 2.6 Billion by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 8.4% during 2022-2027.

14. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

I haven't read the whole of this thread and I probably don't need to do so !
    Vinyl never went away, it went underground for some time, then it was rediscovered. Kids are buying Lps again and that won't change for the foreseeable future. Vinyl is not a superior format to Cds, or some othe fancy streaming digital thing. Vinyl gives you real life. All the distortion that naturally occurs in REAL life. We don't live in a sterile box, there is background noise in every aspect of our interaction with other humans and those making music. What we all feel is warmth, is actually just the familiarity of how we hear everything on a daily basis.
    Our hearing develops in the womb , with constant background noise.
    I love Vinyl. Always have and always will. I love the reality in what it delivers as a media. It gives rough and smooth.
    Viva VINYL !!!!!

Technocentral and BrentB like this.
  15. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Both formats have their advantages and disadvantages over each other. I am glad to have them both!

Big Blue, wgriel, Eigenvector and 3 others like this.
  16. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I think that reluctance to admit they were largely duped by marketing that pronounced CD as the be all and end all has a lot to do with it. I was also duped. Sold a lot of my vinyl, replaced it all with CD. Twenty years later, I realised my mistake, accepted it and started buying vinyl again. I think the delight and eagerness the same people take in supporting or declaring any kind of negativity towards vinyl backs that up. It’s pretty basic psychology really.

17. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

Yes but vinyl is clearly better.

18. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

Fully agree ! Which is why I collect both. I love tapes as well. All 3 formats are awesome. I don't use any other format, as they don't bring anything to table that these 3 do. Vinyl is my preferred media, then CD, then Cassette.

19. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

I am quite a fan of vinyl, but really?????
    If that is your justification for surface noise and distortion......just wow....:laugh:

FYI I clean mine, and mine are MOSTLY quiet, do they lack because of that...using your analogy??

20. Pjotr

Pjotr Well-Known Member

It was thinking of eighties, when people thought that next day technology have to put yesterday's technology into the abyss of history. Today many people think this way about electric cars. But cars with internal combustion engine will still be with us in 2050. They will just look more modern and will have less emissions.

21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

But it was not competing with a format that allowed you to access practically everything for less than the cost of a new LP every couple months. Really hard for most to justify the economics of LP's today.

SandAndGlass and DIYmusic like this.
  22. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Vinyl is very expensive. Fortunately I get most of mine at estate sales, and a lot was given to me, at yard sales etc.

The revival is more of a big city thing, and to many, the so called "revival" is a non issue nor matters to them in the least.

BayouTiger likes this.
  23. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I think it is even a smaller slice than that. In my entire sphere, I have several friends that love vinyl, but have never bought a single "new" LP during the resurgence. Among young people, I think the popularity is exaggerated. I don't know any young folks that care about it. When I go to a retailer - other than an obscure record store in a trendy area - like B&N or Best Buy or even Guitar Center that started carrying Lp's I rarely see anyone browsing the bins (except me) and they all have scaled back their stock.

SandAndGlass and DIYmusic like this.
  24. wushuliu

wushuliu Forum Resident

Brilliant post.
    Also, I love that a clickbait article is the jumping off point for all kinds hot takes.
    Vinyl sales have become a $1B as in billion dollar industry for the first time in 35 years. LPs are on sale in my local *SUPERMARKET* (Fred Meyer). It's niche but it's not going away any time soon.

25. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Being for sale in the local market though, does reinforce the entire thing that it is a fad, and everyone is trying to jump on the bandwagon.

I mean CD is considered almost dead with the same or close enough sales figures that vinyl is being called a huge revival.
    A lot is in the wording.