Who mastered The Police's "Message In a Box"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

I have the set, but my "box" is packed away.

Can someone take a looksee for me?

2. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

If memory serves, Bob Ludwig... (hopping off the couch to go find the set)...

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

I was wrong... not Bob.

David Collins (if I'm reading this correctly)

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yes, it was Dave Collins. He has done lots of A&M titles.

5. SamS

Thanks for checking Grant & Jeff.

Now I'm not sure what to make of this one. On my old system I disliked the sound--too bright. I think I will give it another try.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Not too bright on my system, but the bass is a tad lighter.

7. SamS

I gave it another listen. Not too bright on my current set-up. I can describe the sound as a bit, ahem, "boxy". ;)

Actually, I did an A/B with the stereo SACD layer on the recent greatest hits disc for the track Roxanne. To my ears, the '93 box and the '03 SACD sounded damn near identical!

8. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

ON A MORE GENERAL NOTE

Over the years of buying hi-fi, I have discovered sometimes the reason an album (vinyl) sounds better on another person's system than your own is because of the pressing they own and not necessarily that their system is better and vice versa some stuff sounds better on my system than theirs. Because I now try to get an original pressing, I don't spend as much time upgrading my system.
    JG

9. butch

butch Senior Member

Re: ON A MORE GENERAL NOTE

Sometimes true and sometimes not.The original pressing might be the optimum pressing because there was a good chance that the master tape was used,not a son of a son of a son tape!!However,that original pressing could be compressed to high heaven,equalized terribly,and that pressing might have more ticks and pops than a box of Rice Krispies(I'm speaking of 1970s American Vinyl pressings,of course)!!!James,in those best circumstances(good pressing,good engineer,and good mastering) the original is always the way to go.

10. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I find the Message in a Box CD's to be juuuust right. Not as bright as some of the SACD's (Regatta de Blanc comes to mind), although not as great as the best (Synchronicity).

Not bad. Not bad at all. :)

11. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Great box set in every way. I know they broke REGGATTA in half but at least side 2 starts off disc 2 so it is the same as flipping over an LP...kind of. :p I think the Police broke up at the perfect time especially judging by "Don't Stand So Close To Me '86". ;) I really respect them because they knew when to say when. Not many bands do. The Beatles, The Clash, The Ramones, Cream...they knew when to stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.