Who says the Beatles weren't a great live band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lemon Curry, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

in real terms you can thank the beatles for creating the whole idea of stadium rock lol

J Alesait likes this.
  2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Seeing the NME Poll Winners Concert where they absolutely tear into Can't Buy Me Love and later Long Tall Sally, it makes me think Lennon might have been overstating it a bit.

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Geez, Paul has finally gone and done it .

Looking at the picture you've posted, besides dying his hair, in a desperate attempt to look young, Paul has had eyeball transplants . :cry:

:D

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Paul's hands are closing in on QJ's neck. ;)

Glenn Christense likes this.
  5. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Ha!
    Who the heck retouched his eyes though?
    He looks like a new Walking Dead character . :D

marklamb likes this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

There isn’t a lot of high quality footage of them playing live and much of it suffers from poor sound quality (vocals mixed loud, drums and bass weak). It’s unfortunate.

delmonaco and laf848 like this.
  7. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

The people who think they sucked probably only watched their Budokan concerts.

andrewskyDE, MPLRecords and MoonPool like this.
  8. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Back in the musical dark ages artists were basically recorded live in the studio, so they needed to be able to perform well live. So yes, the fabs were a good live band.

Suncola and J Alesait like this.
  9. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

From what I've heard and seen they compare favourably to Who/Stones/Kinks from the same era. They ROCK and they put on a good show. They were brilliant at projecting their personalities, and of course they were great singers and fine players.

Suncola, J Alesait and marklamb like this.
  10. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Let’s ask Pete Townshend.;)

PIGGIES likes this.
  11. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

The rooftop show was killer.

12. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I read an interview with Sir George Martin given for Serbian zine Džuboks (transl. "Jukebox") in the late 1970s where he said that they were terrible when he saw them live for the very first time in june 1962 in EMI studio at Abbey Road, where Brian Epstein brought the band only for George Martin to see them, but that he loved Please Please Me and Love Me Do what they played at the end of that perfomance and that it was the reason why he decided to work with them.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  13. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

And this has something to do with the Beatles playing live?

14. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

I grew up thinking The Beatles really sucked as a live band because they were absolutely awful when I saw them play live at my 12 year old cousin's backyard birthday party back in 1968.

I discovered years later that was actually a group of local high school kids wearing Beatles wigs.

John B, ostrichfarm, supermd and 4 others like this.
  15. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I thought they sound pretty good on the Candlestick recording; sonic deficiencies aside.

16. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Has anyone ever said The Beatles weren't a good live band except for Mick and Keef :D

17. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

They were Flippin’ Lousy :D

18. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

That was great. Never seen it before. Long Tall Sally usually doesn't trip my trigger, but this one did...

19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

If Long Tall Sally from the Washington Coliseum concert doesn't trip your trigger nothing will because it's even better and rocks harder than the one in Australia! Ringo does more rolls and they sound like a machine gun!

Lennon himself said that when the Beatles played straight rock, no one could touch them! I've read where many artist who were on the bill with them didn't want to have to follow them!

They were absolutely killer live, crank the new Live At The Hollywood Bowl album! How good did they have to be not hearing anything and still rocking out and playing that tight!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    J Alesait likes this.
  20. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I've had Hollywood Bowl since it was released - on 8 track no less... I know they were great live... just saying LTS is something that has no affect on me after hearing it for 40 odd years... seeing this footage made the difference... had the Washington show on VHS but that was 30 years ago...

21. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

They were absolutely killer live, crank the new Live At The Hollywood Bowl album! How good did they have to be not hearing anything and still rocking out and playing that tight![/QUOTE]

DK Pete likes this.
  22. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I know it's not really the point, but when reading about their Cavern days, it stuck out to me that they also had a strong rapport with their fans while they were on stage. Between their talent, the variety of music, rotating who sang lead, and the banter, I can imagine they were an extremely fun live band. I think in the last couple of touring years they probably missed the connection with the audience they used to have.

23. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

I've had HOLLYWOOD BOWL since it came out and I still think it's one of the best live rock albums I've ever heard. "Dizzy Miss Lizzie" sounds like the Apocalypse--beats the crap out of the studio version.

maccafan and OptimisticGoat like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Of course the Beatles were a great live band. I saw themay least 20 times in Hamburg and 50 times at the Cavern and they were smokin
    ;);):p

25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Totally agree about the new Hollywood Bowl album, what Giles Martin did revealed the rocking power of the Beatles live and that album shot to the very top as my favorite Beatle album!

Agree about Dizzy Miss Lizzie also, on the new Hollywood Bowl it sounds like heavy metal in 65! When Lennon screams, The guitar attack is relentless! The Beatles rockin!

illwind64 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.