Who Was Kicked Out Of The Most Bands?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Savoy Brown has had at least 60 members in its short 53 year history.

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Because of the heroin. Actually the whole band except Miles was on heroin; Trane, Philly Joe, Paul Chambers, probably Red Garland too?

3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Isn't this supposed to be "member that was kicked out of many bands" rather than "band that has fired many members"?

4. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I'm actually fascinated by the topic. For someone to qualify, they'd have to be both talented enough to be recruited by a number of bands, and difficult enough to be fired from each of them. So far I haven't seen much that meets that criteria. Someone mentioned Davy O'List, which would be interesting... except he left The Nice, and popped in on other projects or, as is the case with Jet, the band broke up.

And so I wonder... is there anybody who was in like, three or more famous bands and also fired from them? Can't think of any.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Sunburst Finish and DTK like this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Davy seems to have been a temp for ailing regular members rather than fired. Nick Oliveri (3 bands) and Richard Hell (Television and Heartbreakers) are perhaps contenders.

Lost In The Flood and Khaki F like this.
  6. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

I'm not sure he was kicked out of all but in 6 years (1971-1977) Peter Laughner passed through Mr Stress Blues Band, The Original Wolverines, Cinderella Backstreet, Blue Drivers, Tiny Alice Jug Band, Cinderella's Revenge, Fins, Rocket From the Tombs, Television, Pere Ubu, Friction, Cleveland Blues Underground and The Wolves.

TGH7 likes this.
  7. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Dude’s a bit of a liability.
    Unreliable and violent. He alledgedly got fired from QOTSA for being violent towards Josh Homme’s girlfriend and being an *** towards fans.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  8. WhoAreYou

WhoAreYou Soul Survivor

9. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Yeah, I didn't want to be too specific because of the 'allegedly' aspect but still, there's probably been too much unpleasant smoke with him for there to have been no fire.

I met him a couple of times around 2000-ish and he was quite patient and gracious with us annoying kids so the fan part surprised me when I read it but you get the impression he might be one of those people who can be completely different from one day to the next.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

According to Chris Welch’s Close To The Edge biography he had to read about it in the newspaper after they secretly recruted Rick Wakeman!

11. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

was she ever more than an augmentary member brought aboard temporarily?
    I thought Cale was the one member of the band to ever get fired, quite underhandedly too.

12. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Davy just played one 15 minute gig with Pink Floyd when Syd failed to appear. Syd was back by the next gig

13. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

...or Robert Smith from the Cure.

14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I don’t know. Maybe...

To me the most surprising factor seems to me that Josh Homme, that cool free-for-all guy everyone seemed to have worked with, actually FIRED him...

15. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

Dave Walker, from both Black Sabbath and Fleetwood Mac?

16. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

Varous websites indicate Bill has been sober since the 80's. It's this false?

17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Bill was never "kicked out" of Black Sabbath. He left a few times, the first two times due to a battle with alcoholism.

18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Noel Redding

As good as kicked out of the Experience in 69' then invited back by management & kicked out by Jimi in 70'

Kicked out of his own group Fat Mattress

Sean likes this.
  19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The number of bands Peter Laughner was part of, then subsequently dissolved or was kicked out of (most notably. Pere Ubu) would be staggering even if he lived to a ripe old age, let alone died at 25.

They include, but are not limited to:

The Original Wolverines
    Peter & The Wolves
    Fins
    Cinderella Backstreet
    Cinderella’s Revenge
    Friction
    Rocket From The Tombs
    Pere Ubu
    The Blue Drivers
    Mr. Charlie

Plus various duos and partnerships.

Many (not all) of these projects are showcased on the recent box set of his work.

Sean, Mumdad and correctodad like this.
  20. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

:edthumbs:
    But you missed Tiny Alice Jug Band and Mr Stress Blues Band (see post #56 above)
    Pleased we are thinking along the same lines though and both enjoying the Peter Laughner box set.
    :tiphat:

JJJ66 and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. Ginger Baker seems to be a common thread in bands that self destruct -so not quite the same as being sacked. He was sacked from Hawkwind in '81 by Dave Brock after unsuccessfully trying to get their bass player fired.

22. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Well I'm sure you know how good people's reading comprehension is around here... lol

BluesOvertookMe and DTK like this.
  23. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I dunno the answer to the OP's question, but J. Geils was kicked out of the J. Geils band, and they kept the name.

Khaki F likes this.
  24. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Didn't Ginger want to enlist Jack Bruce to replace him?

25. I don't remember all the details unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.