Who Was Wilfrid Brambell?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thnkgreen, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

I am almost through the entire series of Steptoe & Son. It's brilliant - especially the acting of Wilfrid Brambell. Oddly enough, for a show that was on for many seasons and watched by millions of viewers, I am not finding a lot about him online besides a page on Wikipedia and one very short clip of an interview on YouTube. I am also aware that he played Macca's Dad in A Hard Day's Night. I've read a few unflattering articles about him online as well.

I'd like to learn more about him, especially from forum members in the UK. Is he remembered fondly today? Does anyone have any accurate articles or (especially) interviews? Thanks!

[​IMG]

HorseyAnn likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Zappa said he was signed on to be 'the bass player' in "2oo Motels", and if you've ever heard the dialogue, you can just picture the man saying those lines...
    Frank said, 'He 'freaked out' and left the set, and never came back'......
    I still wonder if anybody got the real story about what happened.

3. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Great British character actor. Literally in a ton of stuff. Was involved in some sexual acts that included the law. Him and Harry H Corbet did not get along and just had a professional relationship.

sound chaser and HorseyAnn like this.
  4. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

He played Paul's very clean Grandfather, not his father. :)
    I seem to remember he was arrested for lewd conduct or something similar at one point. I can't remember the details.

HorseyAnn and sound chaser like this.
  5. Guess he wasn’t so clean after all.

6. thnkgreen

JM Jones and Veronica Mars like this.
  7. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

8. thnkgreen

Veronica Mars likes this.
  9. thnkgreen

One review about the book 'All Above Board'...

[​IMG]

rediffusion likes this.
  10. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

He was only 52 when in AHDN

11. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I only really remember him for being in Steptoe & Son, and then later on when I saw he was in AHDN.

The famous catchphrases of Steptoe were when son Harold called him a "dirty old man" or him calling Harold "Haaaraaaawld".

thnkgreen and HorseyAnn like this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

:yikes:
    I'm freakin' 53!....I understand the lack of nutritional care during the war, and all that...but, he REALLY looked old!

13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I remember he turned up late in life in one of the Terence Davies films.

Lots about him on IMDB: Wilfrid Brambell - IMDb

thnkgreen likes this.
  14. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

The BBC did a biopic of Harry H. Corbett and Wilfred Brambell during the Steptoe and Son years. I remember watching it at the time, but it turns out it was inaccurate, and led to dismissals in the BBC drama department. 21 in all! Worth reading the Wikipedia entry about it.

The Curse of Steptoe - Wikipedia

15. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Which is why he was constantly referred to being "clean' in AHDN.

16. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Here's a brief contemporary review of Brambell's book from The Stage and Television Today's Sidney Vauncez (April 1976):
    "Brambell was all of two-and-a-half when he made his debut in Dublin as a song-and-dance turn in a troop concert during World War I. After early troubles, he became an actor, a very good classical one indeed with Abbey Theatre experience and worked happily and continuously - if not wild successfully - in all the media until Steptoe catapulted him into the Big Time. Yet despite all of his current fame, he's not in the slightest bit conceited as this warm and vital autobiography demonstrates. He emerges as a down-to-earth human being and every page of his book underlines his quintessential humor, humility and sound common sense."

Following his success in A Hard Day's Night and after some sparring with the producers of Steptoe and Son, Brambell appeared in a Broadway musical called Kelly as the family patriarch. For this he earned a one sentence review from Hobe Morrison in Variety who wrote, "Wilfred Brambell, a droll character actor from Dublin by way of London, is diverting as Kelly's loyal father."

Every review I found panned Kelly harshly. The show closed in New York after a single performance. Howard Taubman reviewing in the New York Times noted that, "Wilfred Brambell, a pixieish Irishman with a darlin' brogue, almost breathes animation into Kelly's father." Bramwell's theatrical agent, Joan Redden, showed up a day too late to see him in his lone American stage role. Kelly had pre-Broadway tryouts in Philadelphia and Boston. A reviewer in Massachusetts noted that Brambell and cast-mate Jesse White, "Are talented veterans who earn their keep."

[​IMG]
    New York Daily News

Beatlened likes this.
  17. thnkgreen

:wave:
    Thank you for your contribution to this thread

18. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Yeah, when I saw AHDN (in the 1990s) I didn't twig what that reference was, despite having been a fan of the Steptoe series. Doh.

19. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

A picture is worth a thousand words.

[​IMG]

20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I was a nipper in the 60s and ‘Steptoe & Son’ was a weekly treat.
    In the way that only children see things, for years I just thought the old man was like that in real life :).

21. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Wiki says "Brambell was a gay man at a time when it was near impossible to be openly LGBT, not least because male homosexual acts were illegal in England and Wales until 1967. In 1962, he was arrested in a toilet in Shepherd's Bush for persistently importuning and given a conditional discharge."
    Wilfrid Brambell - Wikipedia

blutiga likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's the name.

Is it a coincidence that Wilfrid Brambell and Wilford Brimley both notoriously looked much older than their given ages by the time they were 50?

I think not! :shh:

halfjapanese, vince and Veronica Mars like this.
  23. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Also when Harold said "Yuu rrr dizzGUSTing!".

24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Steptoe is one of THE great sitcoms.

Veronica Mars and johnnybrum like this.
  25. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Apparently he was according to some.......:D

Andy Smith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.