Who were the drunkest performers you saw on stage?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spencer1, Sep 26, 2019.

1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

maybe so, but he burnt that bridge with me. As if it matters in long run...…………...

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I call B.S. to that.,There's no way they could play that kind of music, in a drunken state.

O Don Piano likes this.
  3. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

you were there? And youve nailed it yourself. they couldnt play their songs properly because they were so drunk out of their minds. They were absolutely awful right from the off when the opened with Deep in the Motherlode. the band were everywhere. Timing was shocking and they played it too slowly. As for lady lies. OMG that was even worse
    But you know best. You werent there of course, but you know best.
    Why do you find it so hard to believe?
    BTW. The genesis gig in question was broadcast on local radio, so i actually have a copy of the gig.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  4. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Yeah, that's an accurate description. It was just weird how wrecked he was, but as soon as he started playing he was 100% on point.

K.K.VanMalmsteen likes this.
  5. kirkhawley@q.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Not personal, but the movie Festival Express, if I recall correctly. There's a scene where Rick Danko tries to teach Ain't No More Cane to Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, and Janis Joplin. He is horribly messed up. In my lifetime playing music in bars I've never seen anyone in that shape still upright.

6. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

That’s terrible. What. Way to treat fans. Imagine this happening in any other job. Probably be fired.

7. drift

drift Forum Resident

These posts are mostly recountings of sad behavior, but as comedian Doug Stanhope said..."I'm not driving a bus, mother******!".

RAZORMADE, DTK and ODShowtime like this.
  8. Jakob Skjernaa Hansen

Jakob Skjernaa Hansen Forum Resident

In the mid-70's my folks went to see The Dubliners at the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. However, the band had apparently been on a serious afternoon round of Copenhagen pubs, so at the start of the concert only three of five members appeared on stage - drunk but playing and singing. Sometime during the concert member no. four stumbled on stage - and then proceeded to tumble into the orchestra pit in front of the stage, where he stayed, probably sleeping, for the rest of the show. The fifth Dubliner was never seen, maybe he was still drinking in one of the pubs.

9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yes, it's a well known boot. The tape runs slow.

squittolo likes this.
  10. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Sonny Terry, Jimmy Reed, Joe Cocker and Joe Walsh. Not at the same time.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  11. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

No mate the band played like that throughout.
    You weren't there. You don't know.
    In your book I'm a liar
    I won't enter into any more discussion with such narrow minded, rude, childish, people.
    Good night boyo

12. I had the same experience - once was enough for me.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  13. Are you sure that Ray was drunk? He would sometimes PLAY the drunk on stage but would be perfectly fine. Just part of the act.

14. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Amy Winehouse. She could barely stand.

Runner-up is Dan Bejar from Destroyer, although he was brilliant anyway.

15. old school

old school Senior Member

I think May of 2000 Nevermore we’re really toasted Opeth was the opener and stole the show.

16. He also said his wife didn't know he drank until one night he came home sober.

17. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I saw Bob Dylan at the Gorge in Washington in 1990, and I’m pretty sure he was drunk. He approached the mic several times with his mouth open like he was going to sing, and then backed off because he forgot the words. He made a big deal about getting his harmonica, did a wild solo and then tossed it over his shoulder with a flourish. A couple of minutes later he wanted it back so he started rummaging around by the drum set and backline amps trying to find it while his band cycled through the changes over and over. It seemed like at least five minutes went by. Eventually it was located and he emerged triumphantly and took a brief (IIRC) harmonica solo but then the song ended. Seemed like a waste of time to everyone but Dylan. He seemed much more entertained than anyone else did, which is another reason why I think he was drunk. It was by far the worst Dylan show I’ve seen, although on the plus side he did cover Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay.

I think the show circulates out there, though I haven’t wanted to listen to it. That’s the way I remember it though.

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Hm...sounds like a standard Dylan show? Except for him looking happy. That's the giveaway.

RAZORMADE, squittolo, 905 and 5 others like this.
  19. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I saw John Fahey at a small venue once and he was unable to get on the stage by himself. The stage was about 18 inches off the floor, and there were stairs available. He tried several times until someone from the audience leapt up to give him a steadying hand.

But once he sat down and had his guitar in hand he played beautifully.

DTK and ruben lopez like this.
  20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is amazing how some performers stagger to the stage obviously drunk/stoned and still play beautifully.
    John Martyn comes to mind.

kendo and fallbreaks like this.
  21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

That's for sure.

I remember seeing Dave Mustaine from Megadeth before an arena show in the 80s. He was so wasted, he was slobbering. Also trying to skateboard. Which could've been dangerous, but he could barely get his feet on the board. When it came to play the set an hour later, no one would've known how wasted he was. I'm sure he had some "help" before going onstage.

Same for Lemmy before Motorhead played a club for a skate convention. I talked to Lemmy before the show. He was holding up the wall. And between the booze and his accent, I couldn't understand one word he said. But when it came to play (they went on a little late), they delivered. Big time. Again, I'm sure some "help" was involved.

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's right there on the previous page of this thread. I don't hear anything at all wrong with Motherlode-- It sounds a bit sluggish because as someone else notes, the tape is running slow. (Also, Chester always took things slower and heavier). No wrong notes anywhere. Phi hams up the "Go WEST young man!", but that happened in the best of times.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    squittolo and pool_of_tears like this.
  23. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

John Martyn. Went to see him in the 90s in Boston, on my first date with my future wife. Show up at the club and at the door they say they think he's not going to play. I am disbelieving and go in and up to the stage area to confirm whether he's going to play or not. See Martyn by stage side and go over to speak with him. He's totally smashed, incomprehensible speech, no ability to do anything, clearly. I conclude there will be no show after approximately 20 seconds trying to engage him, and leave. We go to another bar and talk all night and the rest is history.

I should mention I also saw some great shows with Martyn where he didn't seem drunk at all. One that comes to mind is him playing a set with Danny Thompson at the Cropredy Festival in England, maybe in 1986? Totally mesmerizing, perfect.

24. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

dickey betts several different shows, the worst being his own band at the former BB king's in NYC...he was drinking on stage and literally slurring his words and falling down...yet somehow he continued to play the guitar reasonably well

25. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident Thread Starter

Back in I think 1972 I saw John Martyn open for FREE and TRAFFIC at the Santa Monica Civic here in Southern California.
    At the time I didn't know who he was.
    He came out with just his guitar, a chair and an echoplex. He captivated that audience.
    I became an immediate fan.

He passed away 5 years younger than I am now and looked 20 years older.
    Heartbreaking what alcohol did to him.

squittolo, fallbreaks and zongo like this.