Whose autograph is the rarest/ most valuable ( Rock/Pop)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ferdinand, Aug 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

I think it has to be Robert Johnson if there is only one? Zero would be non existent

There have to be musicians that refuse to autograph but sign contracts etc

Obviously musicians who couldn’t write might have signed with an “X” which I am not sure counts

human riff 999 and lightbulb like this.
  2. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

3. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

A signed Marilyn Monroe album.

4. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Thomas Pynchon. See lyrics for Insect Trust…

Jonny W and Stonefolk like this.
  5. Stonefolk

Stonefolk Active Member

Not the most valuable, but the most fascinating (and tragic) I ever came across was an autographed copy of the eponymous Jackson C. Frank album -- being sold on eBay by Jim Abbott, Jackson's friend and caretaker (and, later, biographer). What made it so fascinating was that it was Jackson's own personal copy, the only one he had, which he'd kept with him while houseless as proof of who he once was. It was being sold for $300. That honestly seemed low to me if the tale was true so, incredulous, I reached out to the seller only to find it was Abbott. He told me the background of Jackson's copy, and that it was being sold to pay off Jackson's medical bills in a hurry. We started a bit of an e-penpal correspondence for a hot minute. I can't listen to Frank's music without thinking of that story. Breaks my damn heart!

pulpo, Mumdad, human riff 999 and 3 others like this.
  6. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

the only known copy of his signature is on his marriage license

human riff 999, bluesky and Stonefolk like this.
  7. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yes. I had his signature once but ended up selling it. Came with the deluxe version of Psychedelic Renegades. Just his last name.

Stonefolk likes this.
  8. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Probably Pete Ham would be up there

cwitt1980 and Stonefolk like this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

For quite some time everyone who mail-ordered a record from him got a hand-addressed mailing box from the man himself. Though he probably didn't write "Jandek" on many of them.

markreed and Dudley Morris like this.
  10. Juan Hitwonder

Juan Hitwonder Forum Resident

11. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Had a chance to purchase a boldly signed Michael Jackson LP cover once, a very long time ago (1982?) ... for $35. :shrug: Can't remember the album title, just remember the price.

Rare: Jim Morrison. Seen an autograph on white paper for sale for $700. Don't know if it was for real?? Sure looked legit. That was back around 1980. I was tempted.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  12. Hoyt

Hoyt Forum Resident

Good example of why I love this site. Thought I was reasonably knowledgeable about early 60s folk music. Just read up on Frank. A very interesting, if sad, story.

Stonefolk likes this.
  13. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

14. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

[​IMG]

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

16. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

I know a guy that had...probably still has it but never know Stones first lp signed by all 5 Stones....probably nice value, especially with Brians sig and Charlie. I do have a Charlie, a Keith and 2 Mick Taylors....probably my nicest is Greeny....probably not rare, but then again you never know....Greeny was a private guy!

Jack Lord likes this.
  17. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

Django Reinhardt - Would he have signed that many autographs with those 'out of commission' fingers?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  18. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

Your post got me thinking of this. It appears that John is signing multiple copies of Double Fantasy in this picture. Does anyone have any details on this?

[​IMG]

19. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I was certainly aware that Lennong had signed copies of Double Fantasy - not just at his offices, but copies purchased by fan. This includes, most notoriously, Mark David Chapman's copy of that album.

20. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Following on the same morbid angle, I wonder how many copies of Street Survivors were signed by all members of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Indeed. Lennon's signature is $$$ due to demand, but given that he was a major star for 17 years before his death, it's not hard to find.

Robert Johnson is the first I thought of - if we include him in "rock-pop"...

22. Oatsdad

If you just want "rarest" signed by all 4 Fabs albums, it'd be some oddity like "Love Songs", not a hugely popular album like "Abbey Road".

I guess you chose it because it came out late career, but a) it sold a bajillion copies and b) was still around for 11 years before John died, so it's not like he didn't have ample opportunity to sign copies in that span.

If you look at "canon" albums, I'd bet "Yellow Submarine" is the rarest "all 4 signed" album...

23. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

LOL I love that show. "maybe another Chumlee" haha :laugh::laugh:

That meeting with Dylan does seem a bit staged though

24. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Rarity and value are often unrelated. Records are no different than any other media when it comes to autographs and value. I see all sorts of signed indie and private press records, and major label releases by one off artists that never made it. Probably only one or a couple were ever done. But they're not in high demand. Someone like Buddy Holly, Otis Redding or Jim Croce, or early day Stones / Beatles / James Brown signatures etc. will have much higher demand and hence value.

25. Oatsdad

"A bit"??? :wtf: :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.