Why all the recent Beatles 2014 mono vinyl LPs for sale?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Veech, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

It is interesting to note all the recent FS posts for vinyl 2014 Beatles mono LPs with some of them going for north of $60 each.

I guess some folks think these are going out of print, have we confirmed that? Also, are they that much better than the original monos or the 1982 reissues?

I have a NM 2014 box and am wondering if I should jump in on the selling spree.

2. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

I think the quality of the 2014 mono box set is first rate. I enjoy mine and play the lps often. I think that the technology used in combination with them being all analog makes them special. If I were you I’d hang on to them for awhile and enjoy them. I think there will always be value to this set if you chose to sell it.

Freezerburn, Myke and Veech like this.
  3. Veech

I agree, the set sounds fantastic. It seems in the last couple of months there have been a bunch of these 2014 mono LPs sold in the classifieds, I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence or something else.

4. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I think people in the music community have heard about all the commotion lately as the last copies of these go out of stock, and the fact that a lot of these final in stock copies are being flipped I'm sure. Before 2018, these were seen as great LPs to own, but they weren't rare at all. Now that you cant just go to your local record store or discogs and get one for under $30, people are realizing what they have.

mikeyt and Veech like this.
  5. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I never liked their sound. To my ears they were rather dull sounding. Perhaps from analog tape degradation or just the way they were mixed, or both...

6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

My question is why the sgt pepper ads ask so much more than the other records. Is there a reason for that?

latheofheaven likes this.
  7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Supply and demand. It was widely received as one of the best sounding pressings of this album, and those who own a copy (or multiple copies) are holding on to them.

8. Mugrug12

Didn't the other Beatles monos from 2014 also have this reputation though?

9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yes but also Sgt Peppers was one of the first to sell out in retailers. It has been unavailable for a couple years now. White Album, Rubber Soul, and Revolver were the last to go. There may still be a handful available in retail but supply is mostly dried up now.

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Don't see how you've missed literally months of recent discussion on these treasures. To me, it's as natural as the sun rising every morning.

I've bought the lion's share of the 2014s right here in our classifieds, and am very thankful for it !

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Because that's the one mono album that's a.) considered their masterpiece, and b.) most often stated to be "true to the Beatles' original intention."

maui jim, forthlin and trd like this.
  12. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

There have been several for sale here on the forum recently.

I've heard there's a rumor that it's going to be repressed, so maybe people are flipping them while they can?
    I'll give you $60 for your NM mono Pepper. :righton:

Veech likes this.
  13. Veech

Actually I guess it's mint. I only played a little of the WA. I'll keep your offer in mind :D

14. Veech

I'm aware they are highly regarded. I wasn't aware that they are no longer available and in such high demand.

15. Myke

16. Veech

I bailed on the first thread and totally missed the second. Seems to me that if the 2014s are out of print and so highly regarded that folks would want to keep them. I guess a lot of folks had duplicate copies.

Myke likes this.
  17. Myke

Without hopefully, getting too long winded here...I first had only bought Mono Masters from a member here, mostly focusing on the track listing, and the songs themselves, which always takes me back to my childhood in the 60s.
    I wasn't focusing on the improved SQ, for me, Ringo and Paulie more up front than ever before.
    When those two online retailers claimed to have brand new copies, and a lot of people in that first thread began salivating over the possibility of access at retail prices, was when I dropped my smug " Well, I have original Parlophones so I don't need those " attitude, and listened to the only 2014 I had, and that's when it jumped out at me !!! Which proves to me I wasn't really listening before that, but rather reminiscing. I jumped both on, and off that train to nowhere, and began seeking out my own copies.
    I love that I have the added bonus of knowing the generation that follows me in my family is a HUGE Beatles fan, and she will treasure every single recording I've bought, since 1964.

Veech likes this.
  18. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Not to go too much off topic, but I've always wondered why so record stores sold the 2014 reissues? I would say 90% stocked the digitally sourced ones from a while ago..

19. Veech

I guess I should wade through those threads. Maybe you can help me -- is the consensus that the 2009 reissues are the best vinyl available of all the Beatles mono LPs beating the originals and the '80s reissues?

20. Mugrug12

Didn't you say you have them all? What do you think of them? That will be more important than thread consensus probably.

21. Veech

I only have them all in the 2009 set. I liked what I heard. I only have a couple of the original Parlophone monos and a couple 80s reissues, not nearly enough to do a real comparison.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  22. Myke

No, the 2014s.

Veech likes this.
  23. Mugrug12

You mean to say 2014?

Veech likes this.
  24. Veech

Oops.. yes, The 2014 set.