Why are the Early 60's so Disliked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

As was mine, thanks to my fathers collection of original cast recordings. But I was also heavily into early 60's AM radio and the Beatles made a huge impression on me with the Sullivan performance.

mlew and Lightworker like this.
  2. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

The Beatles actually visited Hitsville in 1964 or '65. I think I saw a few pics of Berry greeting them. They had Mary Wells open for them.

ralphb likes this.
  3. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Motown gravitated towards gritty R&B at the end of the '60s though. True, it was after Stax and Atlantic began gaining crossover appeal. But Cloud Nine, I Heard It Through the Grapevine, Friendship Train, etc., proved Motown could still hang. It was with PIR that Motown and the rest began to sound dated.

4. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yea.
    Temptations and Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder disprove “dated, formulaic” ..

Timmy84 likes this.
  5. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

"Youth"? Me? :biglaugh:

Grant likes this.
  6. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

I remember this article but hey if someone around that time maybe could comment on what these legends said.

They were the first huge white act to admit, ‘Hey we grew up with some black music. We love this,” says Robinson.

Otis Williams of The Temptations: “We knocked down those barriers, and I must give credit to the Beatles. It seemed like at that point in time white America said, ‘OK if the Beatles are checking them out, let us check them out.'

Hardy Melville likes this.
  7. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Motown's music was quite explosive in sound... just think all that amazing music was recorded in a tiny cramped studio for 13 years. Amazing!

I think if anything, if something was threatening other forms of American pop, it was Motown. Motown was a revolution.

Hardy Melville likes this.
  8. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Oh OK, I had forgotten they had said that... but yeah I do remember reading articles where the Beatles came to U.S. radio stations and most of their picks were American R&B songs.

Grant and NYSPORTSFAN like this.
  9. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Are you a boomer? :)

Grant likes this.
  10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

You are a hater of music sir, not a lover. And you wear your ignorance as fact. In my opinion of course. I don't know why people post here who want to fight with reality and argue over nuances of language when they get into arguments as they inevitably do from pretty much not knowing what they are talking about. There is no fact that music from 1959-192 or 63 was crap or the artists bad, unless maybe your history starts with one Don McLean song, a Rolling Stone 'guide' book, or MTV/VH1 'documentaries' or something.

:shake:

Dougd likes this.
  11. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

There was a whole diverse span of music that came out in that period. Some of it was really good and some probably not as good. However, you can listen to various examples and still have an opinion. . I never lived in the 1940's, but I have my opinions on what music I liked from that era.

Tord likes this.
  12. beccabear67

Opinions are fine, but a person who insists over and over that what they think was true is some sort of hard fact are really tiresome. I can go into length disproving someones fact dissing The Beatles or whatever, but they are usually one track won't quit, won't budge, and start getting personal. It's exasperating.

So I say who is bad-mouthing artists, comparing negatively, all that jazz? They should really just knock it off. There was great rock music in the period under examination that has stood the test of time; by The Champs, Roy Orbison, Elvis, The Miracles, The Fleetwoods, Joe Meek, Dion DiMucci, The Cookies, Johnny And The Hurricanes, The Shadows, on and on and on... but no, this is 'obviously crap', that's 'not as good as', blah blah blah. Just knock it off. That is not a music lover or even someone open to learning or hearing really. Just another negative. :cry:

13. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

People think because of the "times" we're living in, we can't be positive. I say that's effin' HOGWASH! :)

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Lol I liked American Pie but boy is that song overrated. :laugh:
    If it wasn't for that song, they wouldn't have dared call the events of February 18, 1959 "the day the music died". :rolleyes: Also that Behind the Music docu didn't help matters. :sigh:

Panama Hotel and beccabear67 like this.
  15. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Gen X

16. Down Under

Down Under Active Member

I dunno why the early-60s were so disliked but I know Dylan and the Beatle-led Brit Invasion improved the music of the mid-60s out of sight. The early 80s were also a wasteland.

17. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Lol I see...

18. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

True but how many people listen to music from the 40s? It wasn't as diverse or in as great quantity as what came later.

19. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I do. I listen to music from all eras. All manner of genres.

Grant likes this.
  20. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

That's cool but 99 percent of people don't listen to 40s music.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

But, by the 70s, those three artists you mentioned had their own styles, and, by 1972, Stevie Wonder had totally broken away from the "Motown machine". In fact, by 1974, many would say that the classic Motown sound was completely gone.

McLover likes this.
  22. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Do a poll and ask how many of us listen to 40s music. :)

Tord, Panama Hotel and Grant like this.
  23. Grant

I doubt you can poll 99% of everyone.

mark winstanley likes this.
  24. Grant

It wasn't just The Beatles. It was also The Rolling Stones. In fact, it makes me wonder where all these post 63-rock fans think their guitar heroes got their music from. They didn't just pull it all out of thin air!

25. beccabear67

"Everyone agrees with me that X is crap and Y is overrated, but Z is the very pinnacle of excellence."

I think Bobby Vee is still underrated myself. The Beatles' Love Me Do b/w P.S. I Love You is very much of it's late 1962 time of release. Some people do call those sides crap not worth hearing twice and only listen to The White Album onward I suppose, but I dig the whole catalog, even the oddities and self admitted failures of artists I'm interested in.

Tord and mark winstanley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.