Why are the Early 60's so Disliked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

So, my opinions are wrong, it's just a myth?

2. zen

zen Senior Member

Too safe and squeaky clean?

3. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Just came across this:

mlew, Will Harris, Tord and 2 others like this.
  4. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Tord likes this.
  5. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Pre-LSD vs. LSD

Licorice pizza likes this.
  6. I didn't say that. Yes, no soul is an oversimplification, guilty as charged. I meant in the world of popular music, soul was sorely lacking. There were a few artists that crossed over, such as Sam Cooke and Ray Charles as you mentioned.

7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I nearly included Ray Charles' 'What'd I Say' in my post Buddy Holly great records, but then I remembered Holly's last interview where he raves about "this great new record I just flipped over". How great would it have been to hear what Buddy came up with influenced by that!

theMess likes this.
  8. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

I think you can make a strong argument that if Arthur Alexander, Goffin-King songs,Isley Brothers,
    Smokey Robinson/Miracles, Everly Brothers ,etc. don't record their music in the early 60's, the Beatles
    don't create the music the known for.
    Repeat with Solomon Burke, Irma Thomas, Rufus Thomas, the Valentinos, etc for the Stones.
    The early 60s was a rich time period for music but some of the very best songs did not get played on radio,
    so they didn't become "hits".
    The Brits have to be given credit for unearthing and recording their terrific versions of many of those songs
    but the originals were made right here in the US of A in those early 60s!

9. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I disagree with the premise of this thread, have never noticed this that you're talking about. I grant you that many consider the most important era the years between 65 and 75 but I think the era you speak of is held in pretty high regard.

JLGB likes this.
  10. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

Check out the bass line in Rick Nelson's version of Summertime recorded in '62

11. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Jann Wenner is "not" the almighty end all when it comes to rating music. He comes out with these lists from time to time just to sell his magazine. Every one on this forum probably know as much or more than he or his staff do. I shake my head when I read his choices. 50% of his lists are no brainers because most of us will agree on those, the others are purely subjective because he does not want to leave out certain eras in music. However, that reason does not make the choices good in my opinion.

12. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I'll cop to it -- there's not a lot of pop music from that period that I really care for. Toward the end of this period Motown emerged, and that was pretty great.

13. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

If you're from a background other than US or UK, there was already fabulous music prior to the Beatles, and it's still revered in those cultures. The Beatles were like a variety or change of pace.

Grant and goodiesguy like this.
  14. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

The first number one song of the 1960s was El Paso by Marty Robbins. The first of the 1970s was Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head by B.J. Thomas. That sums up the decade for me. (In other words, it started a lot better than it ended.)

15. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

you :chill: check yourself.

16. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

I don't own a leather jacket, but I do own lots of sweaters. Is that why I like the music of the early sixties so much? Or is it because of Dion, Del Shannon, Ricky Nelson, the Girls Groups, Surf Music, etc.?

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Ah, but the next three 1970 #1s were "I Want You Back," "Venus" and "Thank You Falettin Me...". Sure beats hell out of "Running Bear," "Teen Angel" and "Theme From A Summer Place."

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The first UK #1 of the 70s was Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris :D

goodiesguy likes this.
  19. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Oh golly, I would emphatically disagree. I bet I'm not alone, either.

J.A.W. and Tord like this.
  20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not claiming I don't love all those records, but that's a pretty mighty lineup for 1970. Hell, I think I prefer "Raindrops..." to "El Paso."

21. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Entirely fair. My perspective is that of someone who typically values raw, visceral energy over artful production and finely-crafted orchestration. I greatly enjoy all those hits you listed, but just not at the expense of what they pushed off the charts.

Of course, this enture argument only applies within the pop/rock idiom. R&B was beginning its graceful evolution into soul, and country and blues were really beginning to diversify.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Stax and Motown would beg to disagree. I'm guessing the likes of Little Richard, John Lee Hooker, and Etta James would as well.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Grant, goodiesguy and ffracer like this.
  23. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Some really cool guitar instrumentals came out in the early 60's. Things like "Pipeline" and "Apache".

g.z., Grant, Tord and 6 others like this.
  24. I think this a topic, while that it interests me since I was not alive then, will cause consternation among those who enjoyed the time vs. critical review. i.e. calling someone's baby ugly.

My assessment is that Jazz was in the sweet spot, lots of blues to be enjoyed - but becoming a niche and R&B in full swing, but both a huge influence, and pop music was like light beer- watered down. Classical also had some great performances, but is not mainstream.

My personal view, is that even though I like the Beatles a lot, they really didn't come into their own until the Rubber Soul/Revolver drug influenced days, although I like their earlier music. A lot of the pre-65 pop music to me is too sugar coated and boring, much like music of the 90s.

That's just my opinion, do not have to like it/agree. I generally do not like "pop" music especially the easy listening stuff from the late 60s and 70s.

25. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

:D

John D., Tord, mrstats and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.