Why Can't Something Like This Happen to One of My Auctions?

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by ashlee5, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member Thread Starter

It happens every once in a while when a relatively rare item fetches an insane amount of money thanks to overheated bidding. Today's example comes from an auction for an Alice Cooper Goes to Hell CD. It is the first pressing from 1990 and has the obi strip, but to pay over $200 for this... :eek:

(BTW. the original US CD with the same mastering is widely available for good prices.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...7jm%2Bgs3aQ31c1Ielg0c7IpATcU%3D#ht_1163wt_934

Please feel free to add more examples.

:wave:

2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

If some like this happen to an eBay seller, I'd prefer it to be a forum member.

Darryl

3. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Happened to me. They didn't pay up. :( $125 for a John Travolta LP.

4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Years ago, I got into a bidding war with another seller.
    I put in a ridiculous bid of $210 (thinking it would go to about $50).
    I won the item for $180 (and yes I payed).

Darryl

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

As has been pointed here in the past, some people pay oodles of cash for the Japanese 32DP Pink Floyd Animals CD, with or without the OBI strip. It has the same mastering as the common first U.S. issue. It's a collector thing.

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I've had some buyers in far-flung places pay crazy money for some CD's (targets & SACD usually). It happens, but not often enough to make it a full-time gig! :D

7. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I did that recently on a NM Clash "London Calling" 1st press UK. I didn't have time to sit and watch an auction (now i have an iphone and it's a whole different ballgame) so I just put in $150 so I would win it (I figured it would go for $50 max). It sold for $152. The next week I found one for $50 and then a few weeks later $30. I still don't have a NM copy (as both the $50 and $30 claimed to be...damn ebay sellers) but I'm damn sure not going to put in that high of a bid again.

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

That's why I mostly stick to the same sellers on eBay whenever possible.
    If it's a seller new to me, I check feedback for complaints about grading.

Darryl

9. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

For the most part, I've given up on ebay. I have a huge wantlist created on discogs and I have not been disappointed in any gradings yet. I really love the fact that it ISN"T an auction.

10. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Sometimes do you feel that you are bidding against the auctioneer?
    I get that vibe sometimes. Especially when there is nobody but you bidding.

11. paradiddl

paradiddl Forum Resident

I've got that feeling in a couple auctions when I have had to bid early. That's why I don't bid high prices on eBay. The condition issue is a second reason.

:righton: But I've learned that I need to confirm a certain pressing unless stated in the description. I had a long argument with one short-tempered seller about DSOTM blackface vs. silverface. The Discogs release page has scans of the Japan blackface. I asked about it before and after the buy - and still got the silver one. Some sellers aren't aware of the pressing variations in there.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

oh that one. I had it early on. It starts with a nice full bodied roar of hiss as Pigs on the Wings begins. It screams 3rd gen tapes pretty loudly!

:laugh:

13. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Audiogon - Cables & Cords

Due to some recent system changes I have several interconnects and power cords listed for sale on Audiogon. My user name there is the same as here and you can find them that way. But here is a link to get started.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?cablintr&1300383726&item

10% off to any SH member who might be interested in any of the remaining items.

Thanks

14. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Ok, that was dumb. I meant to start a new thread but instead put it in this one? I need more coffee this morning. Sorry.

15. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member Thread Starter

Now that this thread is back up ... I'll add another example.

This Japanese 1st CD press of Scorpions' Animal Magnetism used to fetch around $30-$35 on eBay in "Excellent" condition with obi strip. I considered myself lucky when I paid "only" $25 plus shipping for a copy a few years ago. ... Recently, two auctions ended at around twice the usual price. It's either something unusual or the value has gone up a bit while I wasn't paying attention.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCORPIONS-Anima...pt=Music_CDs&hash=item5ade73e9a6#ht_638wt_934

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scorpions-Anima...t=Music_CDs&hash=item3a61f8a1e7#ht_1163wt_934

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.