Why disdain for "Let It Be... Naked?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Tristero

Tristero Forum Resident

In my opinion, only McCartney was bring his A game songwriting-wise. After delivering some of the best work of his career on the White Album, Lennon was really struggling, which is one of the main reasons why I view this as a lesser effort. Of course, George had a lot of great material that he was working on, but for various reasons, most of it didn't materialize here.

2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

My biggest beef with Naked ~ well, one of them ~ is that given its very name, it goes against the purpose of the album, as well. It's not naked as advertised. But the tinkering being "designed to conceal the seams" is a good way to put it.

My other main beef ~ the conversation inspired me to listen to it this morning ~ is that there's no space between songs. The impact of each song has no chance to sink in before the next one begins. That's just not a pleasant listening experience for me. This is mastering 101 stuff.

Final and initial beef I stated way earlier in this thread: no All Things Must Pass. With glorious three-part harmony. Talk about a wasted opportunity...twice.

beatleroadie and Purple like this.
  3. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Actually, The Beatles ceased to function as a band much earlier, around September 69, when John announced to the others he was leaving the band. They just agreed not to tell anything. They were not involved in Spector's work, Let It Be was a posthumous album to all effects. To me, the only difference with Naked is time. I understand it makes all the difference to you. To me, not so much.

4. A well respected man

It depends on what you understand by Naked. I think the purpose of Naked was not going back to the original concept: "live" tracks, no overdubbing or editing tricks. No, that boat shipped even before Spector put his hands on the project.
    Naked means just stripping the extra arrangement, extraneous to the Beatles original sessions. It has editing and processing, yes. Like many Beatles albums, starting with Please Please Me. But at least it's cohesive, and it sounds like The Beatles (despite some mastering decisions I don't like).

Never noticed that, to tell you the truth. It wouldn't be the first time they did that anyway.

Well, I understand it this time around, since the song now is a George Harrison classic with its own place in a classic album. I think it's OK to include the Beatles version in a special project like Anthology or as a bonus, but not as part of the Let It Be album.

theMess, crossroads69 and Zeki like this.
  5. anth67

That's a grey area. "I Me Mine" was actually recorded in 1970 specifically for the album, though indeed sans John. So there was band involvement, even by Paul, even that late in the day. Abbey Road came out in Sept '69, too. Had John quit on August 31, would you have called that a posthumous album? I hear what you're saying about level of direct involvement, but the main reason they weren't much involved with Let It Be was less that they were broken up and more that they just didn't want to deal with that mess of a project anymore. Hence, the tapes sitting for a year and them letting someone else take a shot. Let It Be was the direct attempt at belatedly ~ only incidentally posthumously ~ releasing Get Back.

Alright, I've exhausted my breath on this. Doesn't sound like we're changing each other's minds...which is perfectly okay.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Zeki likes this.
  6. A well respected man

But they were all involved in Abbey Road, from the first recording to the last mixing session.

Spector created his version of LIB long after The Beatles had ceased to function as a band, without their involvement, and even without one of them's consent.

theMess likes this.
  7. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I never really liked "Let It Be", it always sounded to me like leftovers. However, if I had to listen to it, I prefer "Naked" over the original.

8. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

It has the best version of Across The Universe.
    Though I sill feel that song was never recorded correctly.

9. anth67

Wow, is there any point you won't counterpoint? Actually, it is the first time, beyond deliberately artistic segues.

10. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Well said. Wasn't this the time The Beatles were kind of in a funk....the Magic Alex mess, Apple Store failure (my dates could be off),etc?

11. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I kind of feel the same way about this song - had it had the same treatment as Julia, it could have been similar in quality.

12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Well Lennon said when he heard it he 'didn't puke'. That's a kind of consent :)

13. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Just looked up Let it Be Naked on Amazon, and apparently (I had no idea) this CD was remastered in 2013???

Anyone have the original and the remaster? Is the remaster a better sound? The brick walling of the original seems to be a major complaint from those who dislike LIBN...

And yes a longer remix of "Dig It" right between "The Long and Winding Road" and "Two of Us," and "All Things Must Pass" after "Across the Universe" would have improved this record a lot.

14. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I don't agree with that. As they neared the end they seemed to be running out of gas, with some arguing Abbey Road was a sort of comeback. For example on John's stuff, that best song I referred to, Across the Universe, was written, and an early recording made, in early 68. John's other stuff on Let it Be was lesser, imo. For George the stuff on Abbey Road was MUCH better, on that comeback angle, and stuff he ended up holding for All Things Must Pass was also categorically better. Some may think Paul's contributions were very good, but for example I think Get Back is a rather mediocre effort.

15. Hardy Melville

Better. As much as I love Julia.

The thing about Universe to me is that it's an interesting and imo relatively more complex chord progression, but the overall concept of the song (the melody and lyrical subject, among other things going into that) very much calls for a simple presentation. Spectorizing it was inappropriate.

beatleroadie likes this.
  16. tinnox

tinnox Forum Resident

I enjoy it and wish I had it on vinyl.

17. StateOfTheArt

tinnox likes this.
  18. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Really, why all the criticism for Let It Be. Three duets between John And Paul. Two Of Us, I've Got a Feeling, One After 909. When was the last time we heard that on a Beatle's record. Beatles For Sale?

19. tinnox

tinnox Forum Resident

20. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

It's been documented that George made a conscious decision early on in the project only to offer "throw away" types of songs rather than have John complain that his songs had too many chords and just offer perfunctory input & support. Hence "For You Blue" & "I Me Mine".

mbleicher1 and IronWaffle like this.
  21. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Ironically, "I Me Mine" is quite the emotional/deep "throwaway" that also rocks pretty hard, and becomes the final song officially recorded by the band.

And by all accounts, the "For You Blue" session was one of the most joyous/fun/communal among the four of them out of the whole Get Back effort.

So maybe George chose very wisely.

Still, "All Things Must Pass" would have been magical. With John's decreased output, this LP should have been one where they all decided that, like Revolver, George would get 3 songs instead of just 2.

Digu, planckera, IronWaffle and 3 others like this.
  22. StateOfTheArt

Honestly - I never listen to mine. I wanted to hear it and now that I have - I find the difference not necessarily an improvement, just a different flavor. I find the concept in the same vein as the new Pepper.

23. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I think the real problem was that there wasn’t enough time between the White Album and Let It Be. It was ridiculous that they even considered embarking on a new project so quickly.

John was ultra-prolific in 1968, and as a result was the dominant Beatle on the WA. Although heroin and Yoko were distractions, and likely hampered his songwriting, it simply wasn’t reasonable to expect John to deliver even more classics in the six week break between the WA and LIB.

Paul, on the other hand, was less prolific in 1968, but 2 of his standout songs on Let It Be (the title track and TLAWR) were actually written and demoed during the WA sessions. I’ve always wondered why he held these two songs back, especially considering the fact that they both practically scream “hit single.” Perhaps Paul realized this, and, hoping to maximize their commercial potential, strategically saved them for the next album.

If not for Paul’s decision to hold on to those two monster hits, his contributions to LIB would look rather slight, not unlike Lennon.

We all know Paul was the driving force behind the LIB project. I’ve sometimes wondered if having those two songs in his back pocket gave him the confidence and motivation to proceed, dragging the others along with him. Unlike John, he didn’t have to scramble to come up with material for LIB. He just pushed through, without giving a thought to the ramifications of not taking a much-needed vacation.

bewareofchairs likes this.
  24. Hardy Melville

Interesting and quite plausible analysis. I wonder then why John and the others agreed to the schedule, rather than asking for some time to get ready with new songs and the like. Of course John did have Across the Universe ready to take a crack at it, but on the whole not much for the album.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  25. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

The George Martin version was also overproduced, with the bird sound effects at the beginning. Actually prefer the Spector version. LIBN version isn't bad, but sounds like a demo.

blutiga likes this.