Why disdain for "Let It Be... Naked?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Jul 11, 2014.

1. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

We will have a new round of complaints when the inevitable 50th anniversary compilation comes out.

2. arriano

arriano The California Kid

The box set would be easy to create:
    Disc 1 - Let It Be (originally released version) + single versions of "Let It Be" and "Get Back"
    Disc 2 - Get Back (aborted Glyn Johns version)
    Disc 3 - Let It Be...Naked
    Disc 4 - Fly on the Wall (extended)
    Disc 5 - Let It Be (DVD)

3. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Great suggestion!! Hopefully like previous comps (BBC, 1, etc. remastered with minimal NR, Let It Be Naked gets a needed remaster)!!

alchemy likes this.
  4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

This makes logical sense, but it also looks like "re-buying a lot of crap you either already own or never liked to begin with"

ronbow likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I think any future deluxe set will ignore the Let It Be Naked album. Some of the versions used on that album might be incorporated into the new product, but I think that specific album (as an album) will not be considered.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Opinions vary, mine included, as far as Yellow Submarine.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How about just doing some tasty EQ with a well done remix concerning the "Let It Be" album. Put the rooftop in professional sound, stick the remastered/properly edited/newly done "Let It Be" movie on blu-ray with fresh interviews that actually say something than Paul saying the same old worn out speak talk. And the complete movie as a bonus for the diehards. Stick in a newly improved black box like it first came out and call it great.

It isnt rocket science.

8. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Thank you!

My take, 5 audio disks:
    1. Let It Be - remixed
    2. Glyn Johns’ Get Back reconstructed
    3. Twickenham sessions
    4. Apple sessions / mixes
    5. Rooftop concert
    And yes, no LIBN!

originalsnuffy and Arnold Grove like this.
  9. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

If the album was called "Let It Be-The McCartney Mix" I would have liked it better.

10. Arnold Grove

Very doable. We'll have to see.

11. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Would you see to it please, Arnie? :cool:

Arnold Grove likes this.
  12. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

I don’t think it was too bad. I hated the cover and felt since they were mucking with it why not add more stuff - it’s still a really short CD. Could have added a bunch of bonus versions etc.

13. Arnold Grove

No problem. I'll have it by Monday. ;)

14. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

For the audio, its a no brainer to include the original Let it Be as commercially released. I would add the de-orchestrated Let it Be and Long and Winding Road, along with Don't Let me Down. Original Glyn mix; sure. But what I most would want is the best of the sessions, be it Twickenham or Apple. Plus complete rooftop.

I suspect some of the most fun stuff would not ever be released for political correctness (don't want no Pakistanis taking people's jobs for example). That is actually a good call in my view; there is too much meanness floating around right now and adding stuff like that is not helpful.

Roughly the same logic would apply to the video.

15. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Get Back was to be a back to the roots, warts and all project. The original had bad feedback on Teddy Boy (removed from Let It Be, which was redone for Paul’s self titled album).

Okay, so we take out the banter and false starts, but this gets carried away:

• "Dig a Pony" – A remix of the take from the rooftop concert on 30 January 1969; framing dialogue and false start removed; error in second verse (the "because" in Lennon's vocal track) digitally corrected.
    • "Two of Us" – A remix of the take recorded on 31 January 1969 used on the album; framing dialogue removed; minor error in Lennon's acoustic guitar performance digitally corrected.
    • "Let It Be" – For the title track, the original take 27A was used for the bulk of the song, but two edit pieces were flown in from take 27B (the version seen and heard in the Let It Be film); namely, the guitar solo and a brief section near the end (the final "Mother Mary comes to me" bar) to fix an errant piano chord that was present on the album/single versions.

Lots of digital fixes to make it perfect, pristine. Though their past tracks on past albums and singles had errors that crept in.

16. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I did not know that about mockery. And I thought the chat snippets were just comedy. British humour...

17. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

They were, people nowadays take that stuff too seriously.

NYMets41 and JLGB like this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Too lifeless, too DAW, too NR'ed. Sounds artificial. The issued LIB has it's flaws, but sounds like a human was involved.

btomarra likes this.
  19. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Although I understand why many think that a Let It Be reissue (assuming it involves audio and not just footage) should include the original album but I think this is an opportunity to right the wrong that is, in my opinion, the abomination of The Beatles' first posthumous album, Let It Be. Their final real release, in my opinion, is the Let It Be 45 and even that is stretching it because John was gone by then.

I'd love a huge Get Back reissue project with all the Glyn Johns versions, a $hit tonne of highlights from the Nagras (and not just stuff that ended up on Let It Be, for the love of god - things like All Things Must Pass have to be on this), multiple versions of takes multi-tracked at Apple, hour upon hour of highlights of footage, the full rooftop concert, everything filmed on 31 January...but not the original LP. Please.

Also, let's leave LIB Naked to the history books as far as any reissue project goes. A weird release, in retrospect, that ended up being the second time that an LP compiled from these sessions failed to live up to the "as nature intended" hype.

Luke The Drifter and andrewskyDE like this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I was wondering, was 'The Long And Winding Road' the last Beatles single released simultaneously around the world or only in a few countries?

ParloFax and Six Bachelors like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

I presume so.
    It of course was NOT released in the UK. But according to Discogs < The Beatles - The Long And Winding Road >, it was released as a single in 1970 in:
    Argentina
    Australia
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Canada
    Chile
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Greece
    Italy
    Japan
    Lebanon
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Singapore
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    USA
    West Germany

ParloFax and andrewskyDE like this.
  22. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

It wasn't even released as a single in the UK.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Even that I just consider promotion for the LP. The LIB 45 version involved Paul, George, Ringo and George Martin conscientiously working on the track. Anything after that didn’t involve Paul or John recording anything.

24. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I prefer Naked to the original album. It just sounds better IMO and is the perfect companion to Abbey Road.

25. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Let It Be Naked Revisited.

Man has this grown on me!

First listen, as dull as ditchwater. I played it once a couple of years ago, put it away in disgust, re-tried it a few weeks ago . . . and it works for me now!

Yep, maybe there's the “wrong” version of "Don’t Let Me Down" (though it’s good to have a different version and it's great to have it here on the album), "Two of Us" sans whistling, missing coda on "Get Back," "Let It Be" lacking the inspirational guitar-solo, and, of course, the muted sound. But as much as I love the original for its edge, this does sound like a polished album, and "TLAWR "is sublime as are the last two tracks: "Universe" and "Let It Be"—incredibly touching way to end their “final” album. Great sequencing that lifts the whole work.

"Dig A Pony" definitely sounds better here. "Let It Be" more stately. "LAWR "sublime (better vocal). "Across the Universe"--never better.

"TLAWR," "Across the Universe," "Let It Be" . . . top tier songs for me, whatever version of the album.

"Get Back," "I Gotta Feeling," "I Me Mine," "Two of Us" . . . if not quite top tier, not far off, whatever album.

Not bad for an album (in original and Naked form) that tends to be ranked near the bottom-end of their collection. I find the original has some moments that really move me—the "Get Back" coda, the orchestra in "Across the Universe," the guitar-break in "Let It Be"--but the latter is a more cohesive, album-like listen that the original.

Naked, in short, is more stately. Better sequenced. More of an album.

The “second side” starting with “I Gotta Feeling” is beautifully sequenced. The last three songs support each other in their spiritual inclinations—“I Me Mine” benefits from this placement.

I like having both albums, and playing them along side each other—the rough with the smooth. This has given me a new appreciation of the songs and the album.

Always good to discover "new music" :).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    PDK, Greenalishi, NumberEight and 4 others like this.