Why do you have more than one turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dafox, Jul 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I just have one TT with VM540ML and upgrading to an AT MC with new SUT. I do not want to spend more money owning more than one TT.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

in another music room...other than the LR.

zombiemodernist and McLover like this.
  3. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

4. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

I have two turntables because I like turntables.
    I have three pair of shoes, but I do not like shoes more than I like turntables.
    I consider this a shoe problem and I feel kind of bad about it.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

It's like owning a vintage car; you can't have just one because sooner or later one's gonna throw a fit and the second one gets pressed into service until you can figure out what's wrong with the first one.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Now I just need to find a place to hide the third one that's coming Tuesday....:shh:

6. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

I have an Audio Technica AT-LP120XBT-USB I use to rip LPs and 78s.

Library Eye likes this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

These two compliment each other. One does something better the other might not do so well. The left is great for playing a wider variety of records superbly. The one on the right, is the modern, highest performance option for when you want that and shows me you can handle a wide variety of fine music, and to it's fullest. I love this setup.

My own, is Dual 1019 for the vintage records, and when I want the old sound, and Shure M 44-7 installed. Also have a 78 RPM stylus when I want to play those. There's Technics for my others and manual and automatic are covered, serious and fun.

Shak Cohen, Jimi Floyd and JL6161 like this.
  8. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I’m not good at letting things go.

doctor fuse, Kristofa, JL6161 and 2 others like this.
  9. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

timind and SSoundLtd like this.
  10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I'm witcha... I only talked about the ones I have hooked up.

11. SSoundLtd

SSoundLtd Forum Resident

One was free since it has been in my family since 1978/79 time frame. That plays my very nice or new records. Then I bought another direct drive from the same time period for $20 that needed a little work with one of the cables but otherwise works and sounds great. It is for my used $1 records. Finally I found another really cool direct drive again late 70s time period that just needed cleaned up and a new stylus for $8. I use that one in another room. I guess given they are all over 40 years old I keep them all so one isn't getting used all the time.

doctor fuse and Mister Charlie like this.
  12. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

It's okay, you're among friends here.

doctor fuse and 33na3rd like this.
  13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Because my Technics SL-1210G had just arrived today and I still haven't decided what to do with the SL-1210GR it replaced.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  14. japhi

japhi Forum Resident

Collectors will collect

JL6161 and lazydawg58 like this.
  15. japhi

japhi Forum Resident

As a collector car guy I get this sentiment.

doctor fuse likes this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I have 7 tables, 4 that are in regular rotation. I certainly don't need that many but I'm too lazy to try to sell them and it's nice to have variety.

doctor fuse likes this.
  17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Four.
    One stereo direct drive, one mono belt drive, one belt drive I’ve used while working out of town for a few months, and one direct drive in the other city I often work in for long periods. I’m covered!

33na3rd likes this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Users who have the need for more than one, will use, and enjoy. Those people can enjoy records that sometimes need more than one choice, one option. Which means their musical horizons were widened. Think about what you need, what you want and the records you play, your budget. Then start with good enough, add options you need, when you need specialty or other options (second room, second system).

Then you can decide what your home, your lifestyle, your budget can handle sanely. What works for one person, does not work for everyone. I need a few choices. Music to serve me, and meet my needs, varying from fun, casual, and social. To serious, discerning, and higher end. I need something which can serve both, in two rooms, on a budget. Without fuss, frippery, reliable, and consistent. To a very excellent outcome either way.

I listen casually when working out, cooking, doing things where it is background (and what I want to hear isn't always digital, or sounds less than good). I listen foreground, where better quality matters most. Critically.

I play every kind of record, every speed of the 3 which are widest used. They are mono, Stereo, even sometimes 4 channel. Discrete and Matrix. 33 1/3, 45, and 78 RPM (with some pitch control necessary). Manually and automatically. Because music matters, and good sound as a baseline matters. And how it fits my life and tastes. On a budget.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  19. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I had 5 and now down to 2! Just the 1200 GR in my office and the Oracle Delphi in the den. The GR because I like the 1200 ergonomics best, and the Oracle because it was a bucket list table for me I snatched up when another member listed it. Don’t remember if it was here or AK, but I am thankful to have got it.

doctor fuse likes this.
  20. japhi

japhi Forum Resident

Sorry not following why you quoted me. FWIW I am a collector, books, memorabilia, sports cards, vehicles, tools, fishing gear and now audio. Love it all, use it all, couldn’t imagine a minimalist life.

21. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Turntables are the only components that I would like to have more, if I had huge funds. I'd never accumulate lower-end tables, though. What interests me primarily is seeing and using really well made and thought through machines, setting them up properly and just feeling their operation.

ATM I have a fully pimped Gyrodec. I'd really love to have a Kuzma Stabi R with 4-point tonearm as well. But I'd never sell the Gyro, which is a financial problem, of course haha. I'd also love a latest spec Oracle Delphi with an SME 309/IV/V. So yeah, it'd be cool to have these, but I'd need huge space and huge funding.

Pythonman likes this.
  22. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

One has a 12" arm.

One has a removable headstock so I can swap in another headstock with a mono cartridge.

One is a decent old automatic direct-drive changer that I can stack 45s on.

One (at my office) plays only 45s, in mono, with tubes, as the good lord intended.

And that pretty much covers all my vinyl playing needs.

Pythonman likes this.
  23. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

I'm using 2 external DAC's and 2 turntables for the same reason. They both make the music sound different.

Kristofa likes this.
  24. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

If I’m being honest, I’m a turntable nerd I suppose. I dig all types of turntables. WhenI first seriously set out to get a decent table (1985-era) I picked up brochures from Thorens, Dual, Systemdek, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon etc. I learned a lot about what a turntable design could do to extract the music from the grooves and how isolation and suspended designs would play quieter and resist footfalls better.
    Some of the information was hyped but generally honest.
    Then I tried to discover why cartridge A: cost $25 and B: costed $400 and got hooked on reviews of the little devices. I probably have read most of the reviews written for 90% of any cartridge made.
    So for me, rather than trying to find the one table to rule the rest, I’ve found it more satisfying and useful to have multiple decent turntables and cartridges to play my collection of mostly used or just old and new pressings. I get the best out of my collection and I get to use two very cool tables.

JL6161 and bever70 like this.
  25. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I had several turntables, but sold them all and used the money to get an upgrade.
    From a few oldschool SL-1200 to a 1200G.
    It was a big step up, both in price and performance.

But now I’ve ordered a second turntable and got a notification that it’ll finally ship (took a few months, since it’s a limited edition).
    It’s a white 1200.
    I always wished they did white.
    Not black or silver, but white. Finally.

Why is there so little audio gear (except for speakers) offered in white?

Pythonman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.