Why do you have more than one turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dafox, Jul 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Needed a pandemic project, wanted a low-risk TT to learn to install a cartridge, wanted a casual table in the living room, and was curious about how basic, low-cost hi-fi sounds these days. So a lovely walnut plinth U-turn Orbit Custom arrived that I put an ATVM95E on to.

I love my listening room Rega Planar 3 / Soundsmith Carmen / Darlington Labs phono amp set-up, but the U-Turn is sweet and fun.

lazydawg58 and McLover like this.
  2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

One turntable (my main one) for the living room, and the other in the bedroom/office which I listen to while working (I work remotely/from home).

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Exactly, mine are used, moving one from system to system doesn't make sense. See my profile, you'll know. I keep it current.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  4. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

Because I am a crazy obsessive :D:agree:

5. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

Good question!

6. MilesTrane

MilesTrane Forum Resident

Two turntables are nice for confirming beyond all doubt whether or you have purchased a defective record. That’s one of my reasons.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  7. Jeff449

Jeff449 Forum Resident

I have one in my upstairs (secondary) system, and two in my downstairs (primary) system. I have several cartridges and headshells for the second TT downstairs. It is for mono and beat up records. Oh, and I have another one (not connected) that I use for cleaning records.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  8. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Condolences.

Scott222C likes this.
  9. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

I am keeping my first turntable for sentimental reason.

Coypu likes this.
  10. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Because I have four pairs of speakers and four amps ....

11. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

One turntable for stereo, one for mono and one for 78s.

12. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I have one turntable in the front room for the main part of my listening.
    I bought a semi working Sansui DD relatively cheaply, taking a punt on the fix also being cheap. It did get fixed cheaply and I had every intention of selling it on......had! It's now in my office for listening between calls now I work from home.
    I have one TT stored in the garage which I have up for sale - if the market is anything to go by, I'll have it for a while longer!

13. Coypu

Coypu Forum Resident

A Numark tt-100 in main listening room and a Pioneer PL 12D in home recording studio/man cave.

14. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

3 rooms. 3 systems. 3 up and running TT. And each has a backup just in case... I've never been without access to a TT in my 51 years and don't want to start now.

15. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Main Stereo TT- Linn LP12 / Ittokk LVII / Denon 103D with SS ruby level rebuild / Stack Serene subchassis, top plate / Mose Hercules II PS
    Main Mono TT- Technics SP25 / AT 1502 MKIII arm / Ortofon DG25mkIII mono cartridge
    Computer sys TT- VPI HP19 MK3 / Sumiko MMT / Sumiko Alchemist Tallisman IIIs VDH
    Den HT sys TT- Rega P2 / Grace 707 / Nagaoka 110

Extra TT: AR ES-1 / stock arm / Shure V15Vmr // AR XB in need of restoration // Rega P2 in need of an arm rewire

Top 4 TT all have a unique purpose and are in regular use
    Extra TT....well I will probably find a use for these also !

16. Neonknight1

Neonknight1 Forum Resident

Eh I have two turntables. First one is a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse with SME V arm and Transfiguration Audio Proteus, it's my reference deck. The second table is a Scheu Audio Das Laufwerk No. 2 that is my casual table. I put a vintage Dynavector DV505 arm on it. I later put a second arm board on it with another DV505 arm, so I can now do cartridge comparisons on a level playing field. Or I can have one good and one casual cartridge available without swapping headshells and changing tonearm settings.

17. yamfan

yamfan Forum Resident

Technics SL-B2 with ortofon Fx-15MKII for records that I bought used. Technics SL-D2 with Denon 301MC for my records that I bought new.

18. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

Well they're not even setup currently, because reasons, but when I did have more than one set up, one — lower quality — was dedicated to playing the records I got from thrift stores, used, etc, which were not in great shape. For long time I only had vinyl that was bought new or acquired in near mint shape from thrift stores, used from record stores, etc, but eventually ended up with some rougher vinyl of uncommon albums so I figured, don't play those with the same nice needle that's gonna run along the grooves of my other, excellent condition, LPs.

19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have a Hi-Fi shop, so I have a lot of turntables there. But I found having a second turntable at home to be problematic. It isn't the table, as I have two systems, one upstairs and one downstairs. It's the record collection. I can't have two separate collections, one for one system, and another for a system on another level. I tried to love a Linn LP12 and kept maybe a dozen records by it, but it didn't get much use and the bulk of the collection was by my other deck in my primary system. So it was just a hassle for reasons of carrying and filing records.

Now, I guess that with a new rack or a wall shelf, I could add a second turntable to my main system. But I don't think it makes sense. There is nothing wrong with the ones that I choose to be the center of attention.

-Bill

20. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I’ve had many turntables in the past.
    But sold them all to buy one better turntable.
    I now own a second turntable for the first time in a long while.
    Why?
    Well, you can never have enough turntables.
    What turntables are to guys is what shoes are to women.

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Haven't got round to sorting out the old one yet.

22. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

I think for the proper TT ratio you need 6-8 more tables!

Oelewapper likes this.
  23. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Easy question to answer.

I run two turntables in my music room. A vintage Technics SL7 linear tracker (for when I've had a drink or three). Also a vintage re-plinthed & modded idler-drive Goldring GL75 for all the remaining hours of listening.

As is often said, " You can't have too many turntables " so I have a Thorens TD160 & a Technics SL1210 & another Goldring GR1 in reserve.

24. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

I love TT’s because they are mechanical marvels and one can watch them do their work.

I have 4 TT’s. In my main rig a VPI Scout with Soundsmith Zepher and an 80’s vintage Rega Planar 3 moded out with a Magnapan arm, Dynavector 20b cart, Michael Lynn external motor mount & feet, Rega 24 volt motor and Groovtracer flywheel. My vintage rig has an Empire 598 Troubadour with an Ortofon MC20 Super cart and a Dual CS5000 with Shure V15IV. They all sound different and I like the variety.

25. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Two, I used an LP12 until I inherited a 301.

I have too much in the LP12 for some numbnuts to lowball me with an online offer. I also still enjoy using it when the 301 is being serviced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.